Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 PM

11,074 posts, read 12,471,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
No. Euclid Corridor is on the east side, but the area downtown is downtown. There aren't as many good things to do on the east side as on the west side. Restaurants, markets, festivals, European Culture. Stuff like this that's 3 minutes from downtown is like 20 minutes from downtown on the east side. University Circle, Asiatown and Waterloo are really the only areas on the east side that have anything to do and are safe. I live on the east side and I hardly go to the west side, but when I go to the west side (As in within the city of Cleveland limits) I get amazed at how much more there is to do there than on the east side.

To recap, the west side has more things to do within the city of Cleveland limits and is safer, while the east side has way less things to do and is more dangerous within the city of Cleveland, so there is more entertainment in the suburbs. (Example: Beachwood, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Chagrin Falls, Solon)
Again, not accurate at all. Lol European culture? Guess what- that's in Europe. You've obviously never been there before.

Here we go again- the stuff that's good on the east side just doesn't count. Asiatown doesn't count. University Circle doesn't count. Yeah I know it is the densest fine arts and culture area in the country, but still doesn't count because it's like 15 minutes from downtown. Waterloo doesn't count either. Little Italy certainly doesnt count. By the way, if you want something European, Little Italy is unquestionably the closest thing that Cleveland has to offer. Not realizing this is unbelievable. Try going there sometime. You've apparently never been to and restaurants at Shaker Square either. Oh yeah, I guess Shaker Square and Larchmere also don't count, my bad. You forgot those, but I'll just go ahead and put them in that category too. The stuff popping up in Slavic Village doesn't count either. Playhouse Square is downtown, so that doesn't count (even though it's like 1 mile from Asiatown Center).

Ohio City isn't that far from downtown and it's really central, so that's not the west side. Tremont is south and parts of it actually further east than Public Square, so that's not the west side either and doesn't count. Gordon Square? Ok, that counts. Name me anything else worth doing in this version of the west side. Since the west side is so much better and safer, I suppose you have a massive list of hot spots in Clark Fulton, or Puritas? Or maybe you're more of a stockyards kinda guy? Remember, Lakewood doesn't count either.

You just are so unfamiliar with Cleveland, I'm not sure how much of a point there is to even responding to you. But my hope is that one day you'll actually go to the places you talk about with so much authority. Not likely, but I can still dream.

By the way, name me the "entertainment" in Shaker Heights and make sure you're not talking about Shaker Square first. I know geography (among other things) isn't your strong suit, but do try to make sure you know how to read a map before responding. Shaker Heights is nice, but I fail to see what is there that is so much cooler than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 PM

493 posts, read 640,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Again, not accurate at all. Lol European culture? Guess what- that's in Europe. You've obviously never been there before.

Here we go again- the stuff that's good on the east side just doesn't count. Asiatown doesn't count. University Circle doesn't count. Yeah I know it is the densest fine arts and culture area in the country, but still doesn't count because it's like 15 minutes from downtown. Waterloo doesn't count either. Little Italy certainly doesnt count. By the way, if you want something European, Little Italy is unquestionably the closest thing that Cleveland has to offer. Not realizing this is unbelievable. Try going there sometime. You've apparently never been to and restaurants at Shaker Square either. Oh yeah, I guess Shaker Square and Larchmere also don't count, my bad. You forgot those, but I'll just go ahead and put them in that category too. The stuff popping up in Slavic Village doesn't count either. Playhouse Square is downtown, so that doesn't count (even though it's like 1 mile from Asiatown Center).

Ohio City isn't that far from downtown and it's really central, so that's not the west side. Tremont is south and parts of it actually further east than Public Square, so that's not the west side either and doesn't count. Gordon Square? Ok, that counts. Name me anything else worth doing in this version of the west side. Since the west side is so much better and safer, I suppose you have a massive list of hot spots in Clark Fulton, or Puritas? Or maybe you're more of a stockyards kinda guy? Remember, Lakewood doesn't count either.

You just are so unfamiliar with Cleveland, I'm not sure how much of a point there is to even responding to you. But my hope is that one day you'll actually go to the places you talk about with so much authority. Not likely, but I can still dream.

By the way, name me the "entertainment" in Shaker Heights and make sure you're not talking about Shaker Square first. I know geography (among other things) isn't your strong suit, but do try to make sure you know how to read a map before responding. Shaker Heights is nice, but I fail to see what is there that is so much cooler than anywhere else.
When did I say that university circle, little Italy and asiatown didn't count? They do count. But they are 3 small neighborhoods with lots of things to do. I'm surprised that Hough and Glenville and Central And Fairfax don't have anything to do or are safe or at least in good shape, considering that they make up most of the east side. What I'm getting at is that on the east side, most people live in the suburbs, so all the entertainment is in and near the suburbs. University circle borders Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. Slavic Village borders Bedford and Warrensville Heights and Garfield Heights. Is there a lot of entertainment in the center of the east side? No. Just crime, drugs and abandoned houses. It's completely different on the west side.

Have you ever been to the west side before? The west side market is 99% European stalls. Parma has the largest Ukrainian and Polish population in Cleveland. Just to name a few.

You're really starting to **** me off about the east side west side thing. Anything west of the river is the west side. Everything on the east side of the river that isn't downtown is the east side. Is that so hard to understand?

Have you ever been to Shaker Heights? There are lots of restaurants on Van Aken and Warrensville Center and on Lee. Have you ever been to Pearl of the orient? Or melt? Probably not.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM

11,074 posts, read 12,471,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
When did I say that university circle, little Italy and asiatown didn't count? They do count. But they are 3 small neighborhoods with lots of things to do. I'm surprised that Hough and Glenville and Central And Fairfax don't have anything to do or are safe or at least in good shape, considering that they make up most of the east side. What I'm getting at is that on the east side, most people live in the suburbs, so all the entertainment is in and near the suburbs. University circle borders Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. Slavic Village borders Bedford and Warrensville Heights and Garfield Heights. Is there a lot of entertainment in the center of the east side? No. Just crime, drugs and abandoned houses. It's completely different on the west side.

Have you ever been to the west side before? The west side market is 99% European stalls. Parma has the largest Ukrainian and Polish population in Cleveland. Just to name a few.

You're really starting to **** me off about the east side west side thing. Anything west of the river is the west side. Everything on the east side of the river that isn't downtown is the east side. Is that so hard to understand?

Have you ever been to Shaker Heights? There are lots of restaurants on Van Aken and Warrensville Center and on Lee. Have you ever been to Pearl of the orient? Or melt? Probably not.

Haha everything west is west, but not everything east is east. Thanks, now I know I nailed your logic.

haha Melt is not in Shaker Heights, bro. Pearl of the Orient is exactly one restaurant. Sooooo just go there every weekend?

The west side market is not European stalls. It's food. It's run by like 95% Cleveland-born Americans.

Again, where do you suggest I hang out in Clark Fulton, Puritas, and the Stockyards? No crime, safe? yeah ok buddy. You are so ignorant of everything you talk about.

There you go saying that east side suburbs don't enhance the east side of Cleveland, but feel free to talk about parma. What the hell are you talking about man? The city or the suburbs? you keep chaning. Unlike you, I actually speak Ukrainian and have been to the Ukrainian Village. There isn't really anything special about it. Just a bunch of Ukrainians hanging out. So what? Polish people in Parma aren't very Polish except for like the 85 year olds. They've all long since assimilated.

You're embarrassing yourself again.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,232 times
I see the point Reretarff is trying to make. The West Side does have more neighborhoods, (or larger neighborhoods) with vibrant street life than the East Side; University Circle and Downtown being more like major CBD hubs than neighborhoods. But I think he misses the fact that large parts of the West Side are either not exciting, dangerous, or both. West Park, Puritas, and Kamms Corners fall into the former category, Clark Fulton, Stockyards, and parts of Ohio City fall into the latter. And 10 years ago, many of the present day nice parts of the West Side didn't look much better than most of the East Side. Some East Side neighborhoods might have a resurgence, some already are, but it does not just happen because people would think it would be cool. It takes a long, concerted effort, and a lot of faith from dedicated hard working people to make it happen. Reretarff seems to think cool neighborhoods can just pop up overnight. You first have to find someone willing to put in the work. If you think it would be so nice reretarff, why don't you do something to help make it happen? It doesn't have to be something major; even supporting up and coming neighborhoods like Larchmere or North Collinwood by shopping there would help. Remember the thing I said about being the change you want to see in the world?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM

816 posts, read 1,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I see the point Reretarff is trying to make. The West Side does have more neighborhoods, (or larger neighborhoods) with vibrant street life than the East Side; University Circle and Downtown being more like major CBD hubs than neighborhoods. But I think he misses the fact that large parts of the West Side are either not exciting, dangerous, or both. West Park, Puritas, and Kamms Corners fall into the former category, Clark Fulton, Stockyards, and parts of Ohio City fall into the latter. And 10 years ago, many of the present day nice parts of the West Side didn't look much better than most of the East Side. Some East Side neighborhoods might have a resurgence, some already are, but it does not just happen because people would think it would be cool. It takes a long, concerted effort, and a lot of faith from dedicated hard working people to make it happen. Reretarff seems to think cool neighborhoods can just pop up overnight. You first have to find someone willing to put in the work. If you think it would be so nice reretarff, why don't you do something to help make it happen? It doesn't have to be something major; even supporting up and coming neighborhoods like Larchmere or North Collinwood by shopping there would help. Remember the thing I said about being the change you want to see in the world?
Nailed it

Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,182,097 times
To recap the recap: Rere's recap is from the POV of an ill advised and frightened Solonite who relies on an oddly inaccurate v.RERE of Google Maps where anything good on the east side of Cleveland ever so strangely happens and/or resides only in Cleveland Heights, downtown is no-man's land, anywhere dead south of downtown is west (but, only if it's 'good'), and the abbreviation for "E" as in "E. 14th" does NOT stand for EAST.

/thread

P.S.- See y'all at the lighting ceremony tonight in no-man's land at NOT EAST 14th Street and the West Side Euclid Avenue corridor.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM

254 posts, read 308,102 times
Quote:
Some East Side neighborhoods might have a resurgence, some already are, but it does not just happen because people would think it would be cool.
But some skyscrapers over there would probably help...

Old 05-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Haha everything west is west, but not everything east is east. Thanks, now I know I nailed your logic.

haha Melt is not in Shaker Heights, bro. Pearl of the Orient is exactly one restaurant. Sooooo just go there every weekend?

The west side market is not European stalls. It's food. It's run by like 95% Cleveland-born Americans.

Again, where do you suggest I hang out in Clark Fulton, Puritas, and the Stockyards? No crime, safe? yeah ok buddy. You are so ignorant of everything you talk about.

There you go saying that east side suburbs don't enhance the east side of Cleveland, but feel free to talk about parma. What the hell are you talking about man? The city or the suburbs? you keep chaning. Unlike you, I actually speak Ukrainian and have been to the Ukrainian Village. There isn't really anything special about it. Just a bunch of Ukrainians hanging out. So what? Polish people in Parma aren't very Polish except for like the 85 year olds. They've all long since assimilated.

You're embarrassing yourself again.
No. I mean that downtown is the center of the city. I live on the east side so I would like it if downtown was made east side. But that isn't too fair to the west siders, now is that? Unfortunately, Cleveland doesn't have the best geographic features for having a center, due to the river. But most people consider downtown as neutral and anything west of the river west side, and anything on the east side except for downtown east side.

A touch of Italy and Pearl of the Orient are 2 of my favorite restaurants in Shaker Heights. It sounds like you've never been to Shaker Heights or haven't been there for years, so I'm not surprised that you don't know what's over there.

The West side is in fact European ran stalls or near descendants of Europeans. Again, it sounds like you sit home all day and haven't been to the west side market for years, so I recommend you go and see it one more time. The west side market has lots of Italian, Greek, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian and Armenian speaking stalls. They even have 1 Chinese stall. Please don't speak your opinion of something you're not familiar of.

Puritas-Longmead, Clark Fulton and Stockyards are very nice neighborhoods. They have nicely kept houses in tree lined neighborhoods with nice old white families and Latino families living there. They might not have too much to do, but living wise, they are a good choice for the inner city. I mean come on. The stockyards are all 1950's 1960's houses. The neighborhoods there look like they could be in Solon or Beachwood. And the fact that they're so close to downtown is surprising. On the east side, the neighborhoods that are that close to downtown are run down and have nothing but abandoned houses, crime and drugs. Clark-Fulton, Puritas and Stockyards may not be the best neighborhoods on the west side, but a neighborhood like that is a best case scenario on the east side.

Ok let me say it again. Parma has the largest Ukrainian Polish population in Cleveland. Beachwood has the largest Jewish population in Cleveland. Both are about the same proximity to downtown and both have a lot of things to do. I'm talking about the city of Cleveland and the inner suburbs.

Haha buddy guess what? I speak Russian and Ukrainian. There are plenty of Polish people and their kids in Parma. You should at least go and see it for yourself. Quit being a cyka and get to know your facts.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
But what I'm trying to say is that the worst case scenario on the west side is the best case scenario on the east side. Puritas, Stockyards and Clark-Fulton are decent neighborhoods. There aren't too many abandoned houses there, the neighborhoods are well kept and the crime there certainly isn't as bad as it is on the east side. I know that fixing a whole neighborhood isn't overnight, but that's completely off topic. What I want to know is why is the west side doing better than the east side?

Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
To recap the recap: Rere's recap is from the POV of an ill advised and frightened Solonite who relies on an oddly inaccurate v.RERE of Google Maps where anything good on the east side of Cleveland ever so strangely happens and/or resides only in Cleveland Heights, downtown is no-man's land, anywhere dead south of downtown is west (but, only if it's 'good'), and the abbreviation for "E" as in "E. 14th" does NOT stand for EAST.

/thread

P.S.- See y'all at the lighting ceremony tonight in no-man's land at NOT EAST 14th Street and the West Side Euclid Avenue corridor.
Some West Siders get too offended when people say that downtown is east side. Would I like it more if downtown was the east side? Sure. But the center of a city that is split with a whole east side and a whole west side shouldn't be one or the other. It should be equal. And by equal, I mean that it should just be neutral. Ontario Street runs down the center of public square, and back when they named the streets, people considered public square the center of downtown. That is partially where the names for the streets came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: