Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Did Google Maps v.RERE say that the streets on the east side say "E. ##" or did they say: "This street is E. 14th, but the street is really just downtown and the "E." should not be construed in any way with the word EAST or the EASTerly direction!!! This was an oversight by the city planners a in 1918. The street should really be named D. 14th... their bad, not ours."

And I suppose Google Maps v.RERE still says that the intersection of Murray Hill and Cedar Glen is in Cleveland Heights?

My house was built in 1887. It is about 2200 square feet. It has no plumbing issues nor does it have decaying walls or cracked floors. It has no asbestos. It is also not falling apart. The floors don't even squeak. In part, this is due to the fact that the foundation is 18" thick, quarried sandstone with fired clay tile French drains which carry the accumulated foundation drainage away. The supply plumbing is copper which is the absolute best material for pressurized water. The floors are tongue-and-groove floor boards overlayed with like hardwood finish layer at 90 degrees. The drainage plumbing is either iron or fired clay with brass feeders. It has been rewired and insulated to modern standards. It gets new appliances when they need to be replaced. Oh, yeah, it also has been standing and liveable for 127 years.

Your McMansion is built out of a 5" loose-cast concrete foundation (because it only takes 2-3 guys to form and pour it) with a half-assed footer, OSB, and Celotex. The footer probably has no drainage -- but the downspout tails are REALLY long!!!. The OSB "flake board" sub flooring already squeaks. When your house eventually freezes, all of your plastic supply pipes will burst causing thousands in water damage. That is, if one of the press-fit pressure fittings doesn't blow first. These materials are not used because they are better. They are used because they are cheaper and a cinch to install. The only reason a house like that costs $500k is because of the corporate GC who built it made a hefty profit while scrimping on materials. That's the name of the new house game -- has been for years. Unless you built it or GC-ed it yourself using quality materials, it's a gingerbread house that is designed to be bulldozed in about 50 years.

Most people are smart enough to figure out that E. 14th and Euclid means EAST 14th and Euclid, present company excluded apparently as they like to make their own rules based on imaginary lines.
Downtown is a neighborhood on the east side of the Cuyahoga River. Along with University Circle, the two combine for a huge percentage of the money in Cleveland and draw the most visitors. For some reason, people don't like the fact that it's east of the river and get really defensive when you point to the map. Apparently, West=good, east=bad and that's just how it is. If it doesn't fit that narrative, forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,189,937 times
Yep, if only we could now somehow gerrymander the entire Euclid Corridor into being on the West Side...

Any suggestions on how to do that, RERE?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM

493 posts, read 640,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I currently live in a building from the 1800s. I doubt your McMansion will be around in the 2100s. But we shall see.
These houses can't just fall apart randomly. They have a good new structure to them. I guarantee that the houses will still be standing in 90 years.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
According cleveland collector playhouse sq. Is eastside.. We better change our advertisements so people don't think it's downtown.. because Cleveland collector is right and we are all wrong. in fact do we even have a downtown Cleveland collector considering most of the streets have an "E" in front of them.
Just because the streets say east, doesn't mean that the areas are on the east side. Are you trying to say that half of public square is on one side of the city and the other half is on another side? No. Downtown is the center of the city. Not east. Not west. Lets just leave it at that.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I'm confused, weren't you just saying that all the houses in the inner-city it were an antique and need to be saved? And by the way, most old plumbing is copper, copper does not corrode the same way that iron or steel does. The Statue of Liberty is copper; yes, it has oxidized and turned green, but it is still standing after all these years. do you think if it was made of plastic it would still be standing like it is? It's pretty well-known that copper is a much more durable material than plastic.
Well my wife's parents both lived in the inner city, and their pipes were made out of steel. As were a lot of houses. Some are copper, yes. But copper pipes haven't been used as often for years now. If you have ever looked inside of a pipe in a 1900's house, you would be disgusted. It's rotting, it's corroded, there's chunks of stuff and it's just plain dirty. And if a pipe were to burst, would it be easier and cheaper to replace a copper/metal pipe or a plastic pipe? Plastic is easier to use in pipes.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,141,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Well my wife's parents both lived in the inner city, and their pipes were made out of steel. As were a lot of houses. Some are copper, yes. But copper pipes haven't been used as often for years now. If you have ever looked inside of a pipe in a 1900's house, you would be disgusted. It's rotting, it's corroded, there's chunks of stuff and it's just plain dirty. And if a pipe were to burst, would it be easier and cheaper to replace a copper/metal pipe or a plastic pipe? Plastic is easier to use in pipes.
Yeah, you're pretty much wrong about all of that. I've been in too many houses in Cleveland to count, most of which are 80 to 100 years old. Nearly all of them have either been built with copper originally, or have had their galvanized pipes replaced with copper (at least before they got stripped). Galvanized pipes have not been code in a long time, and contain lead. So most of them got switched out at some point.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Did Google Maps v.RERE say that the streets on the east side say "E. ##" or did they say: "This street is E. 14th, but the street is really just downtown and the "E." should not be construed in any way with the word EAST or the EASTerly direction!!! This was an oversight by the city planners a in 1918. The street should really be named D. 14th... their bad, not ours."

And I suppose Google Maps v.RERE still says that the intersection of Murray Hill and Cedar Glen is in Cleveland Heights?

My house was built in 1887. It is about 2200 square feet. It has no plumbing issues nor does it have decaying walls or cracked floors. It has no asbestos. It is also not falling apart. The floors don't even squeak. In part, this is due to the fact that the foundation is 18" thick, quarried sandstone with fired clay tile French drains which carry the accumulated foundation drainage away. The supply plumbing is copper which is the absolute best material for pressurized water. The floors are tongue-and-groove floor boards overlayed with like hardwood finish layer at 90 degrees. The drainage plumbing is either iron or fired clay with brass feeders. It has been rewired and insulated to modern standards. It gets new appliances when they need to be replaced. Oh, yeah, it also has been standing and liveable for 127 years.

Your McMansion is built out of a 5" loose-cast concrete foundation (because it only takes 2-3 guys to form and pour it) with a half-assed footer, OSB, and Celotex. The footer probably has no drainage -- but the downspout tails are REALLY long!!!. The OSB "flake board" sub flooring already squeaks. When your house eventually freezes, all of your plastic supply pipes will burst causing thousands in water damage. That is, if one of the press-fit pressure fittings doesn't blow first. These materials are not used because they are better. They are used because they are cheaper and a cinch to install. The only reason a house like that costs $500k is because of the corporate GC who built it made a hefty profit while scrimping on materials. That's the name of the new house game -- has been for years. Unless you built it or GC-ed it yourself using quality materials, it's a gingerbread house that is designed to be bulldozed in about 50 years.

Most people are smart enough to figure out that E. 14th and Euclid means EAST 14th and Euclid, present company excluded apparently as they like to make their own rules based on imaginary lines.
Ontario Street goes right through public square. Are you trying to tell me that Terminal Tower is on a complete other side of the city than Key Tower? A building might be on E.## Street, but if it's downtown, it's downtown. Not East. Not West.

Cedar Glen and Murray Hill. I just checked. It's in Cleveland Heights. Right on the border with University Circle. Little Italy is in fact a half diamond. The border goes down the RTA tracks. The southern border of Little Italy is at Cornell Road. Get your facts right.

Your 1887 home most likely was remodeled in the past 5-10 years. You don't know anything about my house, so don't even start about it. I do in fact have hardwood floors with a polished look finished layer. I'm not sure how big my foundation is, but it's definitely more than 5". All newer houses have OSB and Celotex, and they are beneficial. I do have downspout tails, but rather than having the water poured onto the grass, the tails are connected to the sewer system. I actually have copper pipes in my house everywhere except for the toilet waste line and the quadruple filtration system. (Bet your house doesn't have that.) But would you rather have new copper pipes or 127 year old copper pipes? I know the man who designed my house, and my house is one of 4. Two others are in my neighborhood and another one is somewhere on the other side of Solon. Even said, the other houses are different sizes, have different land sizes and look completely different, except for the similar frame. My house looks very good and is built to last for 100 years at least. Before judging new houses, might I suggest you see one first?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Downtown is a neighborhood on the east side of the Cuyahoga River. Along with University Circle, the two combine for a huge percentage of the money in Cleveland and draw the most visitors. For some reason, people don't like the fact that it's east of the river and get really defensive when you point to the map. Apparently, West=good, east=bad and that's just how it is. If it doesn't fit that narrative, forget about it.
Downtown is neutral. Downtown is the center of the city and shouldn't be east nor west. Considering I live on the east side, I would like it to be on the east side. But as it is, the real east side doesn't start until I-90, where downtown ends.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times
Quote:
Yep, if only we could now somehow gerrymander the entire Euclid Corridor into being on the West Side...

Any suggestions on how to do that, RERE?
Euclid Corridor is the EUclid Corridor. It's not east, not west. It's special. Just like downtown. Didn't you know? Good things on the east side don't count. Good things on the west side, however, count twice. These are the rules here.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Euclid Corridor is the EUclid Corridor. It's not east, not west. It's special. Just like downtown. Didn't you know? Good things on the east side don't count. Good things on the west side, however, count twice. These are the rules here.
No. Euclid Corridor is on the east side, but the area downtown is downtown. There aren't as many good things to do on the east side as on the west side. Restaurants, markets, festivals, European Culture. Stuff like this that's 3 minutes from downtown is like 20 minutes from downtown on the east side. University Circle, Asiatown and Waterloo are really the only areas on the east side that have anything to do and are safe. I live on the east side and I hardly go to the west side, but when I go to the west side (As in within the city of Cleveland limits) I get amazed at how much more there is to do there than on the east side.

To recap, the west side has more things to do within the city of Cleveland limits and is safer, while the east side has way less things to do and is more dangerous within the city of Cleveland, so there is more entertainment in the suburbs. (Example: Beachwood, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Chagrin Falls, Solon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: