Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 PM

703 posts, read 870,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Ding ding ding! We got a winner. Must be that awesome suburban education you received. #becauseyoureaquickone

Actually so would the majority of Americans under the age of 30. The burbs are over.

Read this and learn something:

Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown | cleveland.com
I got a mix of both (rural/sb)

Anyway, I never said inner-city areas are bad. Inner-city areas are more preferred in Europe, however. We tend to care less about her inner-city areas, and a lot of inner-city areas in this country need a lot of work, and recovery. Most of the inner-city schools I have researched are poor charters, and have less than desirable school ratings. Do inner-city areas work for young adults without families? Yes, because they do not have to deal with the mediocre educational standards, or for some, relatively cramped apartments. For families, suburbs would be better. I'll be glad to give you some data to back that up, if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM

185 posts, read 247,858 times
There are plenty of good schools in cities. I also enjoy culture which I cannot find in the soul-less burbs.

Want a safe place to raise kids? Look to the cities | Grist

Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of good schools in cities. I also enjoy culture which I cannot find in the soul-less burbs.

Want a safe place to raise kids? Look to the cities | Grist
Inner-cities and suburbs are all a part of the urban core, so in general, this is why it is said that urban areas, as a whole, tend to be more culturally diverse, and I've got to tell you something. Compared to my old school, which was 98.7% Caucasian, suburbs were naturally culturally diverse to me. Just take a look at these ratings that are posted below.

Rural:

Suburban:

Urban:

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 AM

^Nice try! I can cherry pick stats as well:

John Hay Early College High School - Cleveland, Ohio - OH - School overview

The best high school in NEO is in the inner city.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,238 times
Mods, if ctownballr27 and reretarff get into it, just ban them both please.

Why can the suburb/inner ring extremists not understand that there are shades of gray and that different people have different preferences.

Have your opinion for your situation. Offer it for other people if their situations are similar. You don't need to vigorously defend your ideals for everyone else's lives.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
^Nice try! I can cherry pick stats as well:

John Hay Early College High School - Cleveland, Ohio - OH - School overview

The best high school in NEO is in the inner city.
I completely disagree. That is an exceptional case, and does not accurately represent their inner-city school rating.

This is a consistency throughout one school district in sub-urban Columbus:

When you actually do research on the school, you should take note of their lack of activities: (10-star inner-city)

Sub-urban: (10-star)

This is a list of the "norm" of inner-city schools throughout Cleveland & Columbus:

Last edited by lewimaech235; 06-17-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
The most important fact is that you can get a good education in the city of Cleveland if you want to, just as you can in some inner ring suburbs, like Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights. If I were a parent, I wouldn't be concerned with how the district as a whole was doing, as much as I'd be concerned if there were opportunities for my kid to succeed. I know that no matter what, even if the school district is excellent, nobody is going to do the work for my kid, so as long as the opportunity is there for him/her to get a good education, that to me is a good school district.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Mods, if ctownballr27 and reretarff get into it, just ban them both please.

Why can the suburb/inner ring extremists not understand that there are shades of gray and that different people have different preferences.

Have your opinion for your situation. Offer it for other people if their situations are similar. You don't need to vigorously defend your ideals for everyone else's lives.
Oh go cry about it...

The fact is the schools will improve as more and more educated people move back into the city. This is already happening and the trend will continue whether the anti-city people want to believe it or not.

Christopher Leinberger, a co-author of the walkable urbanism report, said the country overall has taken a sharp turn toward pedestrian-friendly development of the kind urged by VibrantNEO 2040.
"This is not just a passing fad," he said. "We are beginning to see in the top-ranked urban walkable metros, the end of sprawl."

Leinberger, the president of LOCUS and a GWU professor, said the hypothesis of his report, co-written with GWU researcher Patrick Lynch, is that 80 percent of future development in metro regions will occur in walkable areas, which constitute less than 10 percent of the developed areas in those regions.

http://www.cleveland.com/architectur...in_nation.html

Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Oh go cry about it...

The fact is the schools will improve as more and more educated people move back into the city. This is already happening and the trend will continue whether the anti-city people want to believe it or not.
Well, no kidding...

The Scottish government is already acknowledging rural areas on the decline.

Socio-Economic Briefing on Rural Scotland: Summary

Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 AM

338 posts, read 559,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
even if the school district is excellent, nobody is going to do the work for my kid, so as long as the opportunity is there for him/her to get a good education, that to me is a good school district.
I hear you. Reputations of schools are made on the performances of a few. Plus marketing. Some of the school curriculum is obsolete or is going to be obsolete. Why? Why are some of the brick and mortar businesses going to be obsolete? The internet. With corporate friendly programs like free trade and globalization, one cannot be certain that the curriculum of today will provide jobs to a lot of students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland