Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 75.00%
Not quite, maybe in time 5 11.36%
No, never 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Let's be honest here. Cleveland is the woman with a black eye that never presses charges and always takes her abusive husband back.
Don't you think that statement is a bit over the top? After all, we are talking about a basketball player who has zero impact on the lives of 99.999% of NE Ohioans.

For Cleveland's NBA franchise, it's a coup. For some of the local bars and restaurants, it will be a nice shot in the arm. However, as anyone who has been paying attention has seen, the economic recovery and advancement over the past 4 years in the city of Cleveland did not require LeBron James. I think I speak for many when I say that this is the most important thing. LeBron or no LeBron, it's business as usual for the vast majority of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
He seems like the typical Ohioan who was in love with the idea of going to Florida... only to realize Florida is an awful place to live.... especially after accomplishing the goal he set out to do. So now he's coming back to Ohio again, just like most Ohioans do.
That's pretty much what I though. The inside word is that his wife hated it there. I know I did. Miami is good for about a week. After that, you begin to realize how f'd up it is. 4-5 sq. miles of oppulence surrounded by 100+ sq. miles of pill-mill 'clinics,' strip malls and swampy ghetto.

Quote:
But if I were a Cavs fan or a Clevelander, I wouldn't exactly be rolling out the red carpet, nor would I be expecting long-term loyalty. He has already shown he doesn't have any.
LeBron will do what is best for LeBron. We all know that because we've all seen it. We also understand that this is no different from virtually any other pro athlete or other business situation. You enjoy it while it lasts and you aren't too disappointed when it's over.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I seriously don't understand why anybody (not just Ohioans, but the population of the world at large) actually voluntarily places themselves in Florida. It just boggles my mind.

Welcome back to Lebron though. I hope it inspires people to come back home. I know it sounds lame, but since he announced he's coming back, I've been feeling very sentimental about my hometown and wishing I could do the same. Some day...

Well... this Ohioan has a lot of fond memories of Florida. I love the weather. Not so much the high heat and humidity in the summer, but I tolerate it better than most. On the other hand, I hate the cold, and would love to escape down south for a few of the winter months. Ideally, I'd leave right after New Years, so as to see the change of the seasons, and come back around the end of April, or right before Mother's Day. Having said that, Ohio is indeed my home, and has been for all 41 years of my life. We have a lot to offer as a state, and it isn't all doom and gloom like the naysayers tell us. Even if I won Poweball, or the Mega Millions, I don't think I could up and leave. I would on the other hand travel a lot more, as I do want to see the rest of the country one day.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
I seriously don't understand why anybody (not just Ohioans, but the population of the world at large) actually voluntarily places themselves in Florida. It just boggles my mind.

Welcome back to Lebron though. I hope it inspires people to come back home. I know it sounds lame, but since he announced he's coming back, I've been feeling very sentimental about my hometown and wishing I could do the same. Some day...
I lasted exactly 6 weeks, and that was enough for a lifetime. If you like the beach, it's okay for a vacation. Beyond that, Florida was the most soulless place I've lived in.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
My dad is still in Columbus. Even though LeBron handled the departure very poorly, he is making a decision to go back vs. going to another team, so he should get credit for that. Economically NE Ohio can stand to benefit greatly having LeBron's presence there b/c it will hopefully help bring in more outside money. It's a mutual relationship and Ohio is better off having him there and Cleveland needs him more than Miami does anyway so it works out for the best.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You really think he would blow the series just so he would have an excuse to leave Cleveland? Wow that's some delusionally low civic self-esteem. He's an NBA player, of course his goal is always to win a championship. He left Cleveland because he actually believed he couldn't win one here, not because he secretly wanted to move to Miami and blew it so he'd have an excuse.
Yes that's what I think; LeBron blew it in the end, watch that last game again and with the hindsight of him wanting to go to Miami after the fact. Of course it was only after this loss that he said he needed to leave CLE for a winning team, the deal with Miami was in and LeBron needed a reason to be out of CLE. It's not that he didn't like CLE/AKR, just that he's an NBA player with a goal of making as much money as possible and he took the bait of the Miami trifecta in 2010. LeBron has his championships; CLE doesn't...yet.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 AM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
Quote:

Hmm, let me think, being a former Ohioan and meeting alot of others that moved here from there and other parts of the midwest, the most common and obvious reasons:
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
4.) the nightlife and music scene far surpasses any city in Ohio that i've ever been to
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
10.) boating and watersports all year round
11.) year round golfing
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
13.) NO State Income Tax!
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
So you tell me bjimmy, why would anyone in their right mind want to live somewhere so horrible with all the things i just mentioned??
Of course, like any other state, FL is by no means perfect and we have our negatives, and by no means would i EVER live in Miami, but if you put yourself in a position where you can avoid those negatives, then life here is pretty damn awesome. If you don't like it, then please stay away as we have plenty here that love the state!
On another note, congrats Cleveland with getting LeBron back, its good to see positive things happening for the city especially with Manziel getting drafted to the Browns and the Cavs also getting Wiggins, and the 2016 GOP Convention. Figures the year i leave, the city is back in the national spotlight and will be booming again! Let's hope a championship can be brought back to the city soon as that would be the topping on the cake.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Hmm, let me think, being a former Ohioan and meeting alot of others that moved here from there and other parts of the midwest, the most common and obvious reasons:
1.) the economy is much better in FL(depending on your field) and the pay has been better at least in my case.
2.) the weather is awesome even in the summer unless you're some fat tub of lard that can't handle being out in the heat for more than 2 seconds or if you have an outside job.
3.) if the heat does become too much to handle, you're always within at least an hour or 2 at most to the closest beach, and alot of those beaches are ranked among the top in the U.S. and even in the world.
4.) the nightlife and music scene far surpasses any city in Ohio that i've ever been to
5.) there are year round OUTDOOR activities to do all over the state, not just a few months out of the year
6.) NO SNOW!! At least from Central down to South Florida, extreme northern Florida does occasionally get some flurries.
7.) people seem to be much nicer, and much easier to make friends here
8.) palm trees and green foliage everywhere and ALL year long, no dead and barren trees and yellow lawns during the winter months
9.) plenty of sunshine(hence the SUNSHINE STATE), no gloominess for days at a time like the winter months in Ohio
10.) boating and watersports all year round
11.) year round golfing
12.) laid back, less stressful, slower pace of life
13.) NO State Income Tax!
14.) Last but not least, the WOMEN, omg the Women here are amazing!
So you tell me bjimmy, why would anyone in their right mind want to live somewhere so horrible with all the things i just mentioned??
Of course, like any other state, FL is by no means perfect and we have our negatives, and by no means would i EVER live in Miami, but if you put yourself in a position where you can avoid those negatives, then life here is pretty damn awesome. If you don't like it, then please stay away as we have plenty here that love the state!
On another note, congrats Cleveland with getting LeBron back, its good to see positive things happening for the city especially with Manziel getting drafted to the Browns and the Cavs also getting Wiggins, and the 2016 GOP Convention. Figures the year i leave, the city is back in the national spotlight and will be booming again! Let's hope a championship can be brought back to the city soon as that would be the topping on the cake.
Miami is the only city that has better nightlife than Cleveland . the wages and benefits suck compared to the same jobs in Cleveland and flat unemployment rate is higher than Ohio..

Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

440 posts, read 595,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Miami is the only city that has better nightlife than Cleveland . the wages and benefits suck compared to the same jobs in Cleveland and flat unemployment rate is higher than Ohio..
I beg to differ, here in Tampa/St. Pete the nightlife far exceeds Cleveland, it probably most compares to Columbus here than any other city in Ohio. There is just more of a variety of culture here that makes this area unique and exciting. Coming from the midwest, it was definitely a culture shock for me as i'm not used to this kind of life, but i'm embracing it and loving every minute of it.
As far as wages and benefits go, yes they can be pretty crappy depending on what you do, especially in the service industry. But if you're in the medical, accounting or IT field(which i'm in) then you can really do good for yourself. I'm making almost $20,000 more here than i did in Ohio doing basically the same job and i've never had as good of benefits than i do now. Its all in what you strive for, and i knew ahead of time what to watch out for coming down here.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Quote:

Really?? IMO Ohio hasn't got a city worth spit - even if you rolled Cleveland and Dayton AND Cincinnati together they would not have half the vitality or pizzazz of Fort Lauderdale, much less Miami!
And when I learned LBJ only signed for a year I had to laugh out loud.

Don't get too comfy with your newest Cavalier, folks.
Le Bron e mobile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland