Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM

201 posts, read 237,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeacrocat View Post
Yes, main campus. There is no official CCF day care that I could find...wish there were. Would make things a lot easier. Debating whether Beachwood would be a better choice for newer houses, seems to have a strong sense of community like SH, but is slightly further away. Is there a need to get a realtor to find a house rental (as opposed to apartment)?
OP, although Beachwood was largely developed later than Shaker Heights, there are actually very few homes in Beachwood built after 1980. Those that are tend to be large, contemporary or modern style and expensive. Most Beachwood housing was built 1950s-1970s. Also, I noticed that Zillow has changed all the addresses of Shaker Heights properties. If a Shaker Heights property is in the 44120 zip code, Zillow has assigned it a Cleveland address. If a Shaker Heights property is in the 44122 zip code, Zillow has assigned it a Beachwood address. I'm not sure why Zillow did this, but it could be potentially confusing for online shoppers.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:24 AM

17 posts, read 20,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Hi jamy! I live in Santa Barbara, CA. The one thing we would miss about CLE is our Spanish culture here that makes it so great. HINT: I have not found a true Mexican restaurant yet... I visit CLE as much as possible and hope to move there in the next year...the wife is slowly seeing the light. THere is SO MUCH going for it, vs. the west coast cost of living. You have your west and east side neighborhoods. NONE are Latino strong in terms of population, but it's slowly growing.

Schools: There are many solid schools because the area spends money on them.

I guess we should know where you are now. That would help.
If you move, we'd be happy to be your neighbor!
@ teacherdad We haven't moved yet. We did find a realtor who is helping us with different places. She is showing us Avon, Avon lakes, W estlake, Brooklyn, Lorain. Besides Lorain those others areas seem a bit pricey for us and Lorain has schools that aren't the best....So still have no clue where to go that is somewhat diverse, safe, affordable with great schools!!!

Where did you love when you were in Cleveland? It would be great to have a friend in Cleveland especially since we do not know anyone...

Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
We are almost closed on a home in Bay Village. There are MANY solid areas one both sides..east and west. Both sides have good schools. You can't live on test scores. I have seen incredible schools with not so great scores- incredible teachers!

We spent a few days in Bay and other areas walking around, visiting local shops, etc. In Bay, we saw many people in 33 deg. weather outdoors walking and playing. This fits us pretty well. It's not too far from downtown- I will see baseball, football, and hockey, plus theatre.

We are visiting again next month and will tour the high school with our 9th grader. I will be here for next year since I will make it to the end of the pay scale and for retirement, it matters enough. If my daughter LOVES her new high school here, it'll be hard to leave before she's done. We will see. We are renting it out starting around May 1st.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Rob

Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM

372 posts, read 593,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamy2000 View Post
@ teacherdad We haven't moved yet. We did find a realtor who is helping us with different places. She is showing us Avon, Avon lakes, W estlake, Brooklyn, Lorain. Besides Lorain those others areas seem a bit pricey for us and Lorain has schools that aren't the best....So still have no clue where to go that is somewhat diverse, safe, affordable with great schools!!!

Where did you love when you were in Cleveland? It would be great to have a friend in Cleveland especially since we do not know anyone...
Have you checked out Fairview Park?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
So still have no clue where to go that is somewhat diverse, safe, affordable with great schools!!!
Where are you going to commuting? What does "affordable" mean for you?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:07 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
May I ask specifically names of towns in this area? We are probably relocating to Ohio in July and are a latino family and we are looking for a diverse area with a mixture of people and great schools for my youngest!!! Somewhere centrally located to everything like highways, stores, banks would be great. Not looking into Urban areas definitely suburban!! We know NO one in Ohio so just taking a leap of faith! Thank you for your help!
See post 5 here for a means of ascertaining the Hispanic and other diversity statistics for any U.S. community or county.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-west-cle.html

Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,226 times
My husband and I are looking to move from KC to the Cleveland area. My husband is going to be working in Solon and would like to keep his commute to 30 mins or less. We have a son who is almost 2 and will look to have another child when we get settled. We are looking for a safe community that is affordable on one income (for now) with a good school system if we decide to go the public school district route. I love the architecture and housing features of Shaker Heights but I've seen so many conflicting opinions about the area, I'm not sure about it. We typically prefer more suburban areas but still within reasonable distance to grocery shopping, restaurants, and entertainment options. We love a community feel also, to be able to know our neighbors and have ways to make friends. I'm sorry if this is too much information, I'm just super overwhelmed by the options available. Any help is very appreciated.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Welcome!

What's your budget?

Solon itself seems to fit the bill. I can't speak to the "community feel" there, though. I can tell you that Shaker's community has been incredibly welcoming to us (we moved here less than a year ago, knowing nobody).

Quote:
We typically prefer more suburban areas
Is that a general statement? Or do you mean "more suburban than Shaker Heights"?

Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,226 times
I think our budget would be around 1200$ a month. Just in general we like suburban feel.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
My cousins live in Solon- have kids. They LOVE it for families. Solon Community Center, schools are very good, etc. When they are moved out, she will most likely live downtown, but I know for her kids, Solon was the right choice. Housing stock? I'd live in Shaker before Solon, just because that's more my style- older and character. Good luck!

We are coming from CA in 1-2 years and should be done buying our home in Bay Village. We'll have a high schooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland