Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 03:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
In most recent years, Boston winters have been much more severe than those in Cleveland. Would you tell persons there to flee??? Unlike Boston, we haven't run out of places to dump snow!

When I think of drastic winters, places like North Dakota and Minnesota pop into my mind, although I don't think MN winters have been as severe either in recent years.

What's great about NE Ohio, compared to many regions further south, is that we know how to handle snow and other winter weather. That makes life much easier.

E.g., sidewalk plows make it very easy to get out and take a walk.

I don't understand persons who don't like some attribute of an area, but somehow continue to live in that area. Worse, they try to impose their values on others and belittle those who disagree with them. Again, very, very sad.

In recent years, we've had very little snow in December. Last year, we had a big snow storm around Thanksgiving, then very little snow until January. With global warming, winters in northeast Ohio definitely seem to be getting shorter.

If MamaBear does end up in Brecksville, it will be interesting to see what she thinks of our winters after a year or two. If her kids like the outdoors, or if any family members enjoy photography, I have hunch she'll conclude the move was worthwhile.
It seems as though you are a little out of touch. I talk daily to customers/friends in NEO, it was consensus that it was a miserable past winter that went on for ever. I also remember a late snow in April, that's 5 months of the white stuff..

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/winter-2015-lived-up-to-our-cold-snowy-forecast

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/april-snows-are-common-in-northern-ohio

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral..._since_cl.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
It seems as though you are a little out of touch. I talk daily to customers/friends in NEO, it was consensus that it was a miserable past winter that went on for ever. I also remember a late snow in April, that's 5 months of the white stuff..

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/winter-2015-lived-up-to-our-cold-snowy-forecast

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/april-snows-are-common-in-northern-ohio

153 days and counting since Cleveland's first snow of 2013-2014; list of first and last snows since 1950 | cleveland.com
So, you don't live in Greater Cleveland? Where do you live and how does your second-hand, and apparently inaccurate information, make you an expert on Cleveland weather?

I live in the eastern snowbelt and handle my own snow clearing, so I'm far from "out of touch" about our winters.

<<But 2014 wrapped up on a warm note, with December temperatures running 3.1 degrees above normal. And it snowed just one day in December in Cleveland - with 0.9 of an inch on Dec. 19 - after an especially snowy November.>>

2014 Cleveland weather wrapup; a cool year locally runs against worldwide trend | cleveland.com

Just what I said. Hopefully, more objective readers will understand when I said that we had "very little snow" in December.

Note that January also had below normal snowfall.

Cleveland OH Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

In my book, we had 2 1/2 months of winter weather, inclusive of late November.

Here are over 50 years of totals for Chardon in the heart of the snowbelt. You can see that we had miniscule amounts of snow in March and none in April this past winter.

Yearly Total Snowfall | Chardon, OH - Official Website

The March snow apparently was on March 25, based on the last article that you linked, and certainly wasn't worth bothering with, as it apparently melted rapidly given the high daily temperatures. I know that I didn't run my snow blower after February this past winter. By contrast, I remember winters when we couldn't get into Chardon for the Maple Festival.

Cleveland March Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Personally, the cold doesn't bother me. I know how to dress for the winter. I greatly enjoyed the February ice the last two years. I hadn't seen it for a long time. What does concern me are snowfall totals, and last year was just slightly above average, and getting a break in December certainly made the season seem short. What particularly matters to me is the number of times that I have to run my snow blower, and last year seemed below normal, because of the large storm in November which distorted the annual totals. This makes sense, because if you lived in the snow belt, you would know that cold weather freezes Lake Erie and shuts down the L.E. snow machine. We did get some big storms in Feb. from the Southwest last year. None of the storms in 2014-15 were particularly bad, nothing like the storms that shut I-71 for days in the late 1970s.

This winter is forecast to be relatively warm and dry due to the ongoing El Nino.

http://www.weather.com/news/climate/...ssible-may2015

If you lived in Cleveland, you would now that April snows are wet and heavy and often melt in a day. They typically aren't worth bothering with in a home driveway. And it's been many years since we've even seen an April storm worth remembering.

Here's an example of a storm that is in my memory. How old were you in 1978? Were you even alive? Sometimes, I think the posters in this forum are wimps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...zzard?rec=1649

What made that storm even worse was, because of decades of price controls, there were shortages of natural gas. Many facilities, including even McDonald's restaurants were closed so that there were sufficient supplies of natural gas to keep homes warm, and many homes even then had very low natural gas pressures.

Even days after the storm, I remember driving on a rural state route that was perfectly clear, until it disappeared under a 20-foot drift!

Why is somebody who doesn't live in Cleveland, and apparently has a miniscule understanding of Cleveland winters, pontificating about something which he doesn't understand, and attacking the knowledge of someone who likely has more decades of memories of Cleveland winters than the poster likely has been alive? Again, sad. Very, very sad.

Every winter now, I wonder if I've experienced my last days of walking on a frozen Lake Erie. So the last two years have been a real joy to me.

BTW, MamaBear, Brecksville snow totals will be much, much less than those in Chardon.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-27-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
So, you don't live in Greater Cleveland? Where do you live and how does your second-hand, and apparently inaccurate information, make you an expert on Cleveland weather?

I live in the eastern snowbelt and handle my own snow clearing, so I'm far from "out of touch" about our winters.

<<But 2014 wrapped up on a warm note, with December temperatures running 3.1 degrees above normal. And it snowed just one day in December in Cleveland - with 0.9 of an inch on Dec. 19 - after an especially snowy November.>>

2014 Cleveland weather wrapup; a cool year locally runs against worldwide trend | cleveland.com

Just what I said. Hopefully, more objective readers will understand when I said that we had "very little snow" in December.

Note that January also had below normal snowfall.

Cleveland OH Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

In my book, we had 2 1/2 months of winter weather, inclusive of late November.

Here are over 50 years of totals for Chardon in the heart of the snowbelt. You can see that we had miniscule amounts of snow in March and none in April this past winter.

Yearly Total Snowfall | Chardon, OH - Official Website

The March snow apparently was on March 25, based on the last article that you linked, and certainly wasn't worth bothering with, as it apparently melted rapidly given the high daily temperatures. I know that I didn't run my snow blower after February this past winter. By contrast, I remember winters when we couldn't get into Chardon for the Maple Festival.

Cleveland March Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Personally, the cold doesn't bother me. I know how to dress for the winter. I greatly enjoyed the February ice the last two years. I hadn't seen it for a long time. What does concern me are snowfall totals, and last year was just slightly above average, and getting a break in December certainly made the season seem short. What particularly matters to me is the number of times that I have to run my snow blower, and last year seemed below normal, because of the large storm in November which distorted the annual totals. This makes sense, because if you lived in the snow belt, you would know that cold weather freezes Lake Erie and shuts down the L.E. snow machine. We did get some big storms in Feb. from the Southwest last year. None of the storms in 2014-15 were particularly bad, nothing like the storms that shut I-71 for days in the late 1970s.

This winter is forecast to be relatively warm and dry due to the ongoing El Nino.

http://www.weather.com/news/climate/...ssible-may2015

If you lived in Cleveland, you would now that April snows are wet and heavy and often melt in a day. They typically aren't worth bothering with in a home driveway. And it's been many years since we've even seen an April storm worth remembering.

Here's an example of a storm that is in my memory. How old were you in 1978? Were you even alive? Sometimes, I think the posters in this forum are wimps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...zzard?rec=1649

What made that storm even worse was, because of decades of price controls, there were shortages of natural gas. Many facilities, including even McDonald's restaurants were closed so that there were sufficient supplies of natural gas to keep homes warm, and many homes even then had very low natural gas pressures.

Even days after the storm, I remember driving on a rural state route that was perfectly clear, until it disappeared under a 20-foot drift!

Why is somebody who doesn't live in Cleveland, and apparently has a miniscule understanding of Cleveland winters, pontificating about something which he doesn't understand, and attacking the knowledge of someone who likely has more decades of memories of Cleveland winters than the poster likely has been alive? Again, sad. Very, very sad.

Every winter now, I wonder if I've experienced my last days of walking on a frozen Lake Erie. So the last two years have been a real joy to me.

BTW, MamaBear, Brecksville snow totals will be much, much less than those in Chardon.
Your whole rant is waste of time. I'm pretty sure I lived in the snow belt longer than you so that validates what I have to say. I lived many years in Concord and Chagrin Falls (decades) until the I decided that life's too short and headed to the Sunbelt before the recession. You can cut and paste a month here and there to minimize the dreary weather but the number one complaint of Cleveland weather is the LENGTH of the winter weather. By the way I lived in Mansfield in 1978 which was the epicenter of the storm, yes I got big kahunas ��

Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM

338 posts, read 559,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
I get anxiety daily over this weather talk. Sometimes I want to tell hubby not to take the job in this area if he gets it because of the weather!
The winters in Cleveland succkk. They are long and nasty.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM

338 posts, read 559,540 times
Quote:
You can cut and paste a month here and there to minimize the dreary weather but the number one complaint of Cleveland weather is the LENGTH of the winter weather.
We are talking about 6 months in year down the crapper, every year.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Glad I live far from the lake. only February and March are relatively miserable down here.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Boston winters have indeed been much worse than Cleveland recently. All you softies can quit complaining. Everywhere in upstate New York, Minnesota, Wisconsin and good chunks of New England have worse winters. I honestly can't takemy you people any more. Quit projecting your pansiness onto everyone else.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Your whole rant is waste of time. I'm pretty sure I lived in the snow belt longer than you so that validates what I have to say. I lived many years in Concord and Chagrin Falls (decades) until the I decided that life's too short and headed to the Sunbelt before the recession. You can cut and paste a month here and there to minimize the dreary weather but the number one complaint of Cleveland weather is the LENGTH of the winter weather. By the way I lived in Mansfield in 1978 which was the epicenter of the storm, yes I got big kahunas ��
You accused me of being "out of touch," but clearly it's you that admittedly is "out of touch." Despite your claims otherwise, everything that I originally said about the winter of 2014-15 was accurate.

What it all boils down to is that you made a decision based on your values, and anybody who doesn't share your opinions and values is worthy of your ridicule. That's "big kahunas" in your mind, but something very different in my mind.

Measuring winter from an inch of snowfall, to an inch of snowfall, neither of which last on the ground for an hour is something that is misleading at best. Claiming that Cleveland winters now last through April is a deception of the first order IMO.

There also are brilliant days in the winter in Cleveland, even in January and February, for those who take the time to enjoy them. That's a fact as well, as you well should know if you lived in Ohio for all of the years that you've claimed.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-27-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Ridiculous. Are all of the persons who enjoy winter sports, winter hikes, and winter photography simply delusional in your mind?

Anybody can check out Cleveland's average weather for any month here in the right margin.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Yeah. April temperature is an average high of 59 degrees. Seems like a legit winter to me. LOL. Quite frankly, I think he is simply trying to troll, and not worth any real time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland