Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:14 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,234,050 times

Advertisements

So I was in town last December visiting my old hometown. W 25th near the Market has obviously started "almost" taking off in the last couple of years.

I say "almost" because the public housing highrise on W 25th near Bridge Street is still, at least to me, thwarting continued development heading north to Detroit.

And what is that building nowadays anyway? CMHA? Retirees? Elderly? Full blown project? I've long believed that the building was not a good thing as far as urban planning goes. It was constructed at a time when the street was seen as just West Side Market and little else of attractiveness, so I kind of understand the rationale for its original intent and location. And it has had a few positive cosmetic facelifts over the years.

But anything new now that the street's getting hip? What's its future? I can see housing advocates fighting for it tooth and nail.....it looks to have a LOT of units. But I think it's time to rethink it. Been time, actually.

Last edited by kpl1228; 09-04-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Its a low income high-rise for the elderly. CMHA. All the old low-rise bldgs that were horrible around it were razed.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM

39 posts, read 42,931 times
They were there before the hipsters moved in...

Old 09-04-2015, 06:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Its a low income high-rise for the elderly. CMHA. All the old low-rise bldgs that were horrible around it were razed.
When I walked past there yesterday, I noticed some low-rise buildings still there. I also noticed they no longer had windows. Not just boarded up -- they were "concreted" up.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
I don't mind there being a low-income highrise for the elderly in that area. Low-income elderly folks are pretty benign and don't cause trouble. I do feel somewhat bad for them because the only supermarket in the vicinity is Dave's. I've been going there this week and find it quite expensive.

When I was a teenager back in the 1970s, the pastor of my church conducted a highrise hymn sing at that building, once a week or once a month, I forget which. When the regular pianist couldn't make it, I was frequently called on to fill in, which I greatly enjoyed.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
It's called "Riverview Tower." It's a CMHA building. There are 498 apartments in that building. I am checking out senior apartment communities. That one is in a great spot, very convenient but it's waaaay to large for me.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:25 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,106,187 times
I have no problem with Riverview or it's people, who bother no body. Why does Ohio City have to be lily white, all professional or all hipster? Diversity is good. New York has a lot of trendy neighborhoods with project nearby. People interact with all types of people which is a good thing.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
Reality check, if you are going to live near public housing, particularly the type of public housing near W. 25th and Division St., then you are going to have to get used to not being safe at all hours. There is a significant difference in safety between W.25th and Westlake.
Now you can rationalize that by saying you like diversity better than safety, or urban living than bland suburbia, or whatever. But if the discussion sticks to safety, the suburbs win.

If W.25th/Ohio City/Tremont want to truly live up to the vision many wish for, safety will need to be increased soon. You can read the local websites about all the killings, rapes, gun-thefts, carjacks that happen in and around these areas - on a daily basis.

Now is not the time to look the other way, but to call a problem a problem and deal with it pragmatically with an immediate expectation of improving safety. Safety is job#1, keeping everybody happy is job#..... 23?

Or we could just keep talking urban vs suburban, and chide ourselves into thinking OC/Tremont will be fine as long as most people stay in doors after 9PM.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
My solution, demolish it all, including the Riverview towers and the stuff further north at Division St. The area where Riverview towers are - that becomes a park with great views of downtown, maybe some low rise retail/restaurant along W. 25th but no towers obstructing views of downtown. The stuff near Division St. goes away and gets turned over for further development, now the near West side can truly be developed to its full potential.

Ever wonder why coming over the Detroit-Superior bridge lands you in an area that is very sketchy and undeveloped? Despite being a stones throw from downtown across a magnificent bridge.

We need to stop dragging our feet on this problem. The area from Edgewater, Battery Park, W. 65th, OC, Tremont, all needs to be safer. If you don't have safety, you will not have long term gentrification of this area. The models of Boston, NYC, San Fran, etc. do not apply to Cleveland.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:50 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Reality check, if you are going to live near public housing, particularly the type of public housing near W. 25th and Division St., then you are going to have to get used to not being safe at all hours. There is a significant difference in safety between W.25th and Westlake.
Now you can rationalize that by saying you like diversity better than safety, or urban living than bland suburbia, or whatever. But if the discussion sticks to safety, the suburbs win.

If W.25th/Ohio City/Tremont want to truly live up to the vision many wish for, safety will need to be increased soon. You can read the local websites about all the killings, rapes, gun-thefts, carjacks that happen in and around these areas - on a daily basis.

Now is not the time to look the other way, but to call a problem a problem and deal with it pragmatically with an immediate expectation of improving safety. Safety is job#1, keeping everybody happy is job#..... 23?

Or we could just keep talking urban vs suburban, and chide ourselves into thinking OC/Tremont will be fine as long as most people stay in doors after 9PM.
It's a senior housing complex. I highly doubt seniors are out running the streets causing a ruckus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland