Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:16 AM

75 posts, read 93,530 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all this great information! You guys are thorough and thoughtful - I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM

Somewhat random question that perhaps citymama can answer: What elementary math curriculum is used by Rocky River City Schools?

I absolutely detest the curriculum currently used by some of my kids' schools, so that is an important factor in location if we decide to do public school.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times
EggMaker,

Are you referring to the standards per grade level, or the actual curriculum as in "brand" like HM, Go Math, McGrall Hill, etc.?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
EggMaker,

Are you referring to the standards per grade level, or the actual curriculum as in "brand" like HM, Go Math, McGrall Hill, etc.?
The actual curriculum. E.g., Saxon Math, Everyday Math, Singapore Math, etc.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:10 AM

What are you guys using at your school?

We are using Go Math

Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 AM

372 posts, read 593,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggMaker View Post
The actual curriculum. E.g., Saxon Math, Everyday Math, Singapore Math, etc.
My first grader uses Everyday Mathmatics and my 5th uses Go Math along with Simple Solutions.

I'd be interested in your thoughts! Curriculum and best practice are huge interests of mine.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks! I don't want to derail the thread but -- I have kids in different schools. Some use Everyday Math, some use Houghton Mifflin math.

I'm not a super-traditionalist, but the relentless spiraling of Everyday Math has resulted in one of my kids having no mastery, and we now have to home tutor. Plus as a parent, I feel as if I'm in a re-education camp when faced with terminology like "HomeLink" instead of homework, and "Number Story" instead of word problem.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 AM

I know what you mean. The first few years will be tougher because so much is new terms. We have already seen a huge increase in just one year, however, of students having a far better understanding of number sense (3rd grade). My daughter, in 6th, uses CPM, which is used in junior high (here that's 7-8th). It's much more complex than when I was in school, but I feel even if she is "average" in this curriculum, she is ahead of where I was. I thought I was good at math because I knew my facts as a kid- was always first in tests. However, in high school, I struggled. My older kids have done well in much higher math than I ever did.

We use Go Math. I focus on equations and manipulating numbers vs. just doing a fact. Facts are a big part of 3rd grade and we practice everyday, but there is a lot more. I hear kids who may struggle in reading making incredible connections and complex reasoning vs. just a few years ago. Example: 4 + (2 x 4) - 5 =

Almost all the kids used the order of ops to find the solution. I had an average reader with horrendous spelling skills say, "Well, it's really just 8 - 1." Everyone looked surprised and I asked her to explain. "The subtraction is only 1 more than the adding of 4 so you just take 1 from 2x4." For an 8-year-old, I thought this was pretty sweet.

These are things that I love about visual math vs. algorithms. I see more creativity, reasoning, and understanding.

You can always use Xtramath.com for your kids at home for facts if you are into that, or IXL.com (I buy a subscription for my class each year).

As my dad would say, "You want to clean toilets? Go ahead, but be really good at what you do and be happy."

Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,092 times
We live in Strongsville and it is very nice, still affordable and a great location. It has become much busier traffic wise over the past few years with the population explosion in Brunswick/Medina just south of us and the fact that we have a major mall and stores such as Best Buy, Costco etc. Christmas is the worst but other than that it takes 20 minutes to reach the airport, 30 minutes to reach downtown Cleveland - 45 in rush hour and you can be on the turnpike heading East or West in about 10 - 15 minutes. Strongsville is right on I-71 so getting around is quite easy.
The school system is very highly rated although there was a bitter strike here a couple of years ago and there are still some hard feelings but most have moved past it.
Good luck in your search

Old 12-21-2015, 10:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I know what you mean. The first few years will be tougher because so much is new terms. We have already seen a huge increase in just one year, however, of students having a far better understanding of number sense (3rd grade). My daughter, in 6th, uses CPM, which is used in junior high (here that's 7-8th). It's much more complex than when I was in school, but I feel even if she is "average" in this curriculum, she is ahead of where I was. I thought I was good at math because I knew my facts as a kid- was always first in tests. However, in high school, I struggled. My older kids have done well in much higher math than I ever did.

We use Go Math. I focus on equations and manipulating numbers vs. just doing a fact. Facts are a big part of 3rd grade and we practice everyday, but there is a lot more. I hear kids who may struggle in reading making incredible connections and complex reasoning vs. just a few years ago. Example: 4 + (2 x 4) - 5 =

Almost all the kids used the order of ops to find the solution. I had an average reader with horrendous spelling skills say, "Well, it's really just 8 - 1." Everyone looked surprised and I asked her to explain. "The subtraction is only 1 more than the adding of 4 so you just take 1 from 2x4." For an 8-year-old, I thought this was pretty sweet.

These are things that I love about visual math vs. algorithms. I see more creativity, reasoning, and understanding.

You can always use Xtramath.com for your kids at home for facts if you are into that, or IXL.com (I buy a subscription for my class each year).

As my dad would say, "You want to clean toilets? Go ahead, but be really good at what you do and be happy."
I don't know much about math as I've only taken Calc 1,2,3,& 4 and multivariable calc but when I saw my friend's daughter's homework last week I was shocked. It was a very simple problem like 43 + 167 but instead of just placing the numbers on top of each other and putting a "0" to the far right and carrying the 1 etc like how it's always been taught, she was drawing a straight horizontal line with curves above it with various other numbers on the line and above the curves. Apparently is some new way of teaching addition in a tedious fashion that will never be applicable to real life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland