Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:30 PM

555 posts, read 892,089 times

Advertisements

Mamabear, taxes are higher, but other aspects of COL are not. Parks in Ohio are generally free (as they are not in Florida, where I grew up) as are many fine museums. My experience (admittedly limited) is that the public libraries are also better, and Cleveland has good transit (not that I have lived there or used it). If we want amenities, someone has to pay for them, and much of Ohio spreads the cost through taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 03:00 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
Gas? 1.84 per gallon a two weeks ago. 2.49 per gallon is cheapest here, with some at 3.99. Yes, taxes higher, but other amenities offset those a bit. I pay 9.3% in state income tax. I pay $8600 per year in prop taxes because my 3 bedroom (2200 sq. ft), 1960's track home on a slab is worth $825k. LOL

Some museums are free in CLE, but not here. Want to have a campsite on the beach? $42 per night or $95 across the street. I doubt nice sites in Ohio are that much per night.

COL is less in Ohio (CLE) even with the taxes.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:11 PM

555 posts, read 892,089 times
BTW, where are you now, Mamabear?

Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
You only posted all the negative YouTube videos about Cleveland (i.e. "Cleveland Hastily Tourism" video)
You gotta lighten up. Have a sense of humor. Those "Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism" videos made me laugh.

I didn't take them too seriously. One can cast any city in such a negative light simply by cherry picking what one does and does not show.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Kind of confused about lower cost of living in the Cleveland area. Compared to where I live in the south and have lived in serveral other southern states, propery taxes are double sometimes triple up in NE Ohio than what we have been paying in the South. I have no idea how utilities would compare. Daycare/after-school programs seem more expensive, but I think daycare is expensive everywhere, I just have a really good deal with who my kids go to now. But yes, compared to places out West and the New England states I can see where NE Ohio would come up cheaper.

Also, I am intrigued as to what people do for a living in the Brecksville (OH) area, have you looked up the median household income?? !!!! According to Wixipedia....

"The median income for a household in the city was $88,358, and the median income for a family was $104,347. Males had a median income of $65,382 versus $39,912 for females. The per capita income for the city was $37,838. About 1.8% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 4.6% of those age 65 or over."
The taxes here are more than worth it. My wife came from the Atlanta suburb of Vinings. We thought about staying there after we got married but the public schools were so bad throughout Atlanta that we chose Cleveland area instead. When we moved in 2000 you had to send your kids to private school in Atlanta. Most of the Cleveland suburb schools are every bit as nice as the private schools down south.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
People(mainly family) are always like, "why you moving there, it's so cold." Evidently it's a sin to live anywhere it's cold.
Give them crap about being small-minded and unadventurous (if that's a word, LOL).

Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,702 times
Read in the Cleveland paper that the Cleveland area has the highest new car sales per capita of any city in the nation. Super low cost of living, combined with copious amounts of winter road salt, means we buy a lot more new cars than other areas.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Read in the Cleveland paper that the Cleveland area has the highest new car sales per capita of any city in the nation. Super low cost of living, combined with copious amounts of winter road salt, means we buy a lot more new cars than other areas.
Most newly manufactured vehicles today, with copious use of plastics, rust-resistant metal alloys, and superior surface coatings, are much more rust resistant than vehicles manufactured several decades ago.

It's possible to own a car for a decade and not have problems with rust.

It still isn't Arizona, however.

The lower COL in Cleveland certainly does make it easier to purchase a new vehicle. E.g., we have among the very lowest housing costs in the U.S.

Stonepa, could you provide a link to the article that you mentioned? I couldn't find it. TIA!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-17-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 06:52 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Museums are not free. You are supposed to put money in the clear box when you go in.

Cuyahoga taxes are high for the services provided.

Many roads are terrible. I haven't seen a pothole in the years since I moved.

A newcomer would find so many great things to do at reasonable prices.

Great food choices.

Most winters are much worse than this one.

Most people are nice. There are a few idiots wherever you live.

You won't need as big a house since you will have a basement.

Tornados. Seldom but they happen.

If I ever move back to Ohio it will be in the Cleveland area.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Museums are not free. You are supposed to put money in the clear box when you go in.
Anybody can walk into the Cleveland Museum of Art with absolutely no hassle. Nobody checks for tickets and there are no admission lines. It's like walking into a mall.

Yes, if you can afford it, you should make a contribution. Ditto, at places like the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton, which also is a magnificent institution with no admission charge, and other major art museums in Ohio, such as Toledo.

However, the Cleveland Museum of Art is not like the Met in NYC -- no tickets are required for admission to the CMA's general galleries. The Met also has free admission, but you have to request it.

Visit | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Memberships to the CMA are a great deal. They are relatively cheap and members get free admission to special exhibits, and discounts at the museum's restaurants, gift shops, parking garage, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland