Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 AM

75 posts, read 93,603 times

Advertisements

We're in the early stages of a possible job in the western suburbs of Cleveland, in the triangle area formed by the Turnpike, 480, and 71. It would be a relocation for us, so we'd appreciate some advice about where we might live.

We're looking for a suburb with excellent schools (and/or an excellent Catholic school option); walkable to library, shops, etc.; and good housing stock, which for us means large-ish houses (around 3,000 sf) and no HOA if possible. We'd prefer not to commute more than 20-30 minutes. Softer requirements: convenient to typical kids' activities like dance and sports. Price is flexible.

Any recommendations? I keep drawing larger and larger circles on real-estate sites and don't seem to be finding the obvious choice.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:45 AM

372 posts, read 593,840 times
Rocky River is extremely walkable. Budget would help. Houses that are 3000+ sq ft run 600,000+ in the walkable areas.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Citymama - Thanks for the response. We're flexible on budget. Rocky River looks to be at the outer radius for us. After checking out the usual real estate sites, I'm guessing it's a pretty tight real estate market - am I right? I know it's the slowest time of the year for home sales.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM

553 posts, read 1,209,100 times
Lakewood also fits the bill.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM

372 posts, read 593,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggMaker View Post
Citymama - Thanks for the response. We're flexible on budget. Rocky River looks to be at the outer radius for us. After checking out the usual real estate sites, I'm guessing it's a pretty tight real estate market - am I right? I know it's the slowest time of the year for home sales.
Rocky River is tight, inventory wise.
Can you list some cities that are at the top of your list and then we can off insight to walkability, schools, ammentities, etc.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 25,957 times
Strongsville might be an option. Great schools.org shows good ratings for school. It's located off 71 and the turnpike. That's as much as I really know about it but it seems nice driving through and conviently located.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:39 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,932 times
I think it comes down to how new the OP wants the house to be. Rocky River will have, especially in the walkable areas, older homes (I want to say 1940s and earlier?). Fairview Park and North Olmsted will have stuff from the post-war boom years and trickle up towards the 1990s. Stongsville will most likely have late 20th century homes towards newer builds of this decade. Olmsted Falls, Berea (possibly) and North Ridgeville will have new subdivision developments. I don't think they are too high end however, so if you are looking at Rocky River pricing, you'll have a hard time spending $500,000 or more on a new build (though possible in certain circumstances, difficult none-the-less). Storngville will have options for new builds or recently built. And possibly further out towards Brunswick and Medina, you'll find yet more of development.

North Olmsted may be an option as well as Fairview Park, though their public schools I never here anything about. Not sure if that is indicative of good or bad. Strongsville is a large school district, IIRC from second-hand murmurs. Not a bad one either. May have a larger selection, though that HOA thing may come into play.

As a note, HOAs in Ohio aren't typically as powerful as those in the southwest or sunbelt states. So if you are overly concerned with every plat being micromanaged by the HOA board, you are in luck since it tends to run easier here. Most HOAs tend to mow the common areas near the main artery roads and maintain the entrance signs. Not many have clubhouses or private pools (though there are probably a few in newer build areas).

Old 11-27-2015, 07:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggMaker View Post
We're in the early stages of a possible job in the western suburbs of Cleveland, in the triangle area formed by the Turnpike, 480, and 71. It would be a relocation for us, so we'd appreciate some advice about where we might live.

We're looking for a suburb with excellent schools (and/or an excellent Catholic school option); walkable to library, shops, etc.; and good housing stock, which for us means large-ish houses (around 3,000 sf) and no HOA if possible. We'd prefer not to commute more than 20-30 minutes. Softer requirements: convenient to typical kids' activities like dance and sports. Price is flexible.

Any recommendations? I keep drawing larger and larger circles on real-estate sites and don't seem to be finding the obvious choice.

Thank you in advance!
Is walkability the requirement you're having the most problem with, as your triangle has several locations with good schools -- Brecksville, Broadview Hts., Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, Richfield, Bath Township, Hinckley Township, North Royalton, etc.

Rating the Suburbs 2015 | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

https://local.niche.com/rankings/sub..._Cleveland_sff

Perhaps check out Medina (Highland Local School District?), Brunswick and Twinsburg for more walkable communities. Also check out Hudson with a great downtown area.

Medina has one of the most charming pubic squares in Ohio.

Perhaps tell us why you've disqualified communities in your triangle and nearby.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:39 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Is walkability the requirement you're having the most problem with, as your triangle has several locations with good schools -- Brecksville, Broadview Hts., Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, Richfield, Bath Township, Hinckley Township, North Royalton, etc.

Perhaps check out Medina (Highland Local School District?),
Medina has Medina City Schools.

Quote:
Brunswick and Twinsburg for more walkable communities.
More walkable than Richfield or Bath but otherwise that is setting the bar really, really low. Does Twinsburg have more walkable areas than the others? All I can think of in Twinsburg is sprawl.

Medina, due to actually being a town, is probably the best bet for walkability + good schools. Hudson in a few spots but it is also mostly sprawl. Better than many of the others, though.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Rating the Suburbs 2015 | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

https://local.niche.com/rankings/sub..._Cleveland_sff

Perhaps check out Medina (Highland Local School District?), Brunswick and Twinsburg for more walkable communities. Also check out Hudson with a great downtown area.

Medina has one of the most charming pubic squares in Ohio.

Perhaps tell us why you've disqualified communities in your triangle and nearby.
We haven't necessarily disqualified communities in the 71/480/turnpike triangle. None of them leaped out as being exactly what we want - yes, in terms of walkability. But we could easily be mistaken, because we've not explored the area in person yet (and that's where I'd love to hear from you CLE experts!).

We just aren't subdivision-type people. We like places with genuine variety in housing stock, residents of various ages, connecting sidewalks so we can walk and run from point A to point B safely (not just around a subdivision). Safe, so our kids can ride their bikes to their friends' houses and have a modicum of independence. That's what we're interested in finding west of Cleveland if that's where our job takes us.

Hudson actually looks great (on the internet), but it's just too far from our jobs. Is there a similar kind of community in the western suburbs?

Lakewood is a possibility, though it's on the outer edge of our radius.

It's good to hear that the HOA scene in OH is a little more relaxed than in other places.

I really appreciate your responses - thank you!

Last edited by EggMaker; 11-29-2015 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland