Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times

Advertisements

Here's the big difference between the market for the Cavs versus the Indians and Browns. The latter two have extensive regional competition, shrinking the size of their effective markets.

Cleveland Cavaliers have Terry Talkin' huge TV ratings and embracing the franchise -- Terry Pluto (photos) | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 PM

368 posts, read 639,058 times
The cavs with Lebron James..I've always been a fan..but without Lebron or success..the ratings wouldn't be very good.I do agree there's no competition from regional cities as the closest teams are Detroit,Toronto an Indiana.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Waiting for maxmodder to chime in on the NBA playoffs.

I heard there was only one team with a perfect record so far, with like 4 Steph Curry like shooters from beyond the arc, but just remember which team I'm thinking of.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
The cavs with Lebron James..I've always been a fan..but without Lebron or success..the ratings wouldn't be very good.I do agree there's no competition from regional cities as the closest teams are Detroit,Toronto an Indiana.
"without Lebron or success"

It's success. LeBron is awesome, don't get me wrong. But if the Cavs were in the playoffs with just Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, people would still be tuning in.

Winning cures all.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
From the article:

'"The amazing thing was during our rebuilding years (2010-14, no James), we still were in the top half of NBA TV ratings most seasons," said Komoroski.'

Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
That seems to be true of all Cleveland teams that they've been strong from a ratings standpoint. The tribe in 2014 was in the top 5 ratings in the league locally despite a decent but unremarkable 85-77 campaign. I'd say if one team ever was to move, it'd be the Indians. The Cavs won't move because of what WRNative mentioned about the ratings thing, and the Browns just have so many fans because football is so big. I don't even see the Indians leaving though, because while it was a while ago, 455 was truly unprecedented and something most markets couldn't do.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
The Browns were more of a regional team, too, at one point before the Bengals were founded and before the Steelers were any good. While going to college in SWO I did notice that there were still a number of older, "legacy" Browns fans around.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Yeah I talked to a guy from Rochester who is a Browns fan because when growing up would rather drive longer than watch Bills

Old 05-15-2016, 03:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Default Cleveland vs. Buffalo

First Energy Stadium also is in downtown Cleveland, whereas Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium is in Orchard Park, NY.

There is much, much more to do on a football weekend to Cleveland than on one to Buffalo.

My impression is that the Indians in the summer also do well among persons from the likes of NYC who can save megabucks over a visit to Yankee Stadium and have a cheap weekend of fun at the same time.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM

I can't disagree with that, but this guy was in Florida (now in his 70s), so of course both cities were in different straits then. As per Indians, I think that could help, but I do really wonder how much dynamic pricing actually helps in terms of revenue. I mean, I think in some ways with the way they've done that the past few years at least, they were more expensive than numerous franchises, but since they were earning more per ticket and not opening certain sections. Hopefully the new renovations will help to draw more people this summer, because they need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland