Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 AM

378 posts, read 341,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You're right. You made some good points in your earlier posts in this thread, but I had forgotten about them due to the line of argument that you advanced in post 15, that a materially larger percentage of Greater Clevelanders couldn't afford to enjoy Cleveland amenities, even the many free ones, compared to residents of other cities, many of which lack the superb free and low-cost alternatives available in Cleveland, including relatively excellent and affordable mass transit. As noted, I believe your premise is false, and certainly not substantiated in your subsequent posts.
I think the fundamental difference is that we're also speaking in two different contexts. I didn't intend to refer to residents of the greater MSA in my initial argument and I think that point was sidetracked later on when we brought MSA data into the mix. I'm really just arguing that a distinctly large number of people in the urban core can't really take advantage of these amenities and therefore that has a net negative effect on regional perception as a whole, whereas I believe your viewpoint is that greater Cleveland residents are able to counter the negative outlooks of those in concentrated poverty in the inner core similar to suburban residents in other cities with lower amounts of poverty in the inner core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I think Clark-Fulton is worse off than Cudell, in which parts are gentrifying.
For sure. I just threw in Cudell because I live there and can use it as a frame of reference. And I would say Cudell and the sometimes-forgotten southern part of Detroit-Shoreway are still closer in makeup to Clark-Fulton than to the other near west neighborhoods, so it seemed like the most applicable pairing.

I think it will be interesting to see how the two neighborhoods progress. Cudell seems primed for spillover from D-S. According to the CDC, there is finally going to be a transit-oriented development study done for the 1.5 mile radius around the West Blvd rapid station. However, this area between the West Blvd station and 90 should already theoretically be way more in demand, but anything of that sort has really just stayed contained to West Blvd and a few pockets around there. Madison Ave between West Blvd and W 98th is also a wonderfully untapped asset.

At the same time, Clark-Fulton has a pretty great CDC and they are really pushing development along the southern segment of W 25th, as well as establishing unique neighborhood branding. I wouldn't be shocked if Clark-Fulton ends up taking off quicker.

I think if these areas can continue to stabilize without losing their huge potential to accommodate residents of varying incomes, it will have a nice impact on alleviating some of the issues I was attempting to mention previously in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM

143 posts, read 158,628 times
To be honest with you I experienced the opposite living on the east coast. It seemed like everybody had a stereotype of Cleveland, depressed, miserable, cold, heartbreaking(from a sports perspective), declining, etc. almost all negative. I went there for the first time for a friends wedding and found that I didn't find any of the stereotypes to be true. I had a great time, went to a baseball game, the lakefront and rock hall of fame, checked out the area near the arcade. It seemed to me the locals had a lot of pride in their city. Granted I probably only saw the better areas and not everything but I would say it was the locals who had a good attitude about their city, and the outsiders who didn't. That's just my experience though

Old 10-15-2016, 06:21 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
To be honest with you I experienced the opposite living on the east coast. It seemed like everybody had a stereotype of Cleveland, depressed, miserable, cold, heartbreaking(from a sports perspective), declining, etc. almost all negative. I went there for the first time for a friends wedding and found that I didn't find any of the stereotypes to be true. I had a great time, went to a baseball game, the lakefront and rock hall of fame, checked out the area near the arcade. It seemed to me the locals had a lot of pride in their city. Granted I probably only saw the better areas and not everything but I would say it was the locals who had a good attitude about their city, and the outsiders who didn't. That's just my experience though
East Coast people can be unbearably arrogant. It's true they will down talk Cleveland and be unable to name even one street in the city. East coasters are sometimes the most ignorant people in the country.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Cleveland is a phenomenal city. Been watching the tribe games with some Cleveland girls I met at the bar. We all decided that Cleveland is better than boston for numerous reasons. If only we didn't have decent jobs here...

Old 01-09-2017, 02:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
Which part of the East Coast are you from? East Coast people have always had a negative perception of Cleveland and the Midwest. They think the East Coast is the center of the universe and the Midwest is the sticks. They'll talk stuff about it but can't name one thing about the city except for what they hear from social media, national media, jokes, celebs or stand up comics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland