Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM

474 posts, read 840,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Another key question is why do you want rail access?
We've never lived anywhere with rail. My wife and I would use it often. Other than that, no logic to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Very odd thread -- why the scattershot approach instead of addressing the following basic questions: 1) what is your budget, 2) do you want to buy or rent, and 3) how much space do you need?
Ha, yes, maybe it is an unusual approach. 1) We care more about the area than the house, but anywhere between $70k and $170k, 2) buy, and 3) between 1000 sf and 2000 sf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
We've never lived anywhere with rail. My wife and I would use it often. Other than that, no logic to it.

Ha, yes, maybe it is an unusual approach. 1) We care more about the area than the house, but anywhere between $70k and $170k, 2) buy, and 3) between 1000 sf and 2000 sf.
Hmm.... if you are looking to buy I don't see how you could possibly care more about the area than the house itself.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 AM

378 posts, read 341,454 times
Are you looking for a house you can move right into with minimal work or are you willing to buy cheap and do some renovations?

Cleveland does have a lot in way of older, historic housing stock that can be purchased cheap and renovated. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, there are things like 203k renovation mortgages that pretty much require everything to be done by a contractor within a set timeline.

That's a nice price range for Cleveland and could really go far depending on what you're interested in buying. This one falls in what is currently a very in-demand area and is directly next to a Red Line rapid station: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...zm/0_mmm/1_fr/

For example, this house is currently owned by the county land bank and can be purchased for 7k: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4766...7i13312!8i6656

I helped clean up the property with some neighbors and we did take a look inside. It has some amazing built-ins, larger rooms, and a potential 5th bedroom on the third floor. It needs about 90k in work (electric, plumbing, windows, bathroom fixtures, etc.) but with basically nonexistent purchase price you're looking at a decently tiny mortgage even if you roll the cost of renovations into it. Not sure how the Land Bank works in terms of buyer mortgage requirements, but it's an example of the types of opportunities you can find.

Last edited by j_ws; 02-15-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Are you looking for a house you can move right into with minimal work or are you willing to buy cheap and do some renovations?

Cleveland does have a lot in way of older, historic housing stock that can be purchased cheap and renovated. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, there are things like 203k renovation mortgages that pretty much require everything to be done by a contractor within a set timeline.

That's a nice price range for Cleveland and could really go far depending on what you're interested in buying. This one falls in what is currently a very in-demand area and is directly next to a Red Line rapid station: 6514 Wakefield Ave, Cleveland, OH 44102 | MLS #3865934 | Zillow

For example, this house is currently owned by the county land bank and can be purchased for 7k: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4766...7i13312!8i6656

I helped clean up the property with some neighbors and we did take a look inside. It has some amazing built-ins, larger rooms, and a potential 5th bedroom on the third floor. It needs about 90k in work (electric, plumbing, windows, bathroom fixtures, etc.) but with basically nonexistent purchase price you're looking at a decently tiny mortgage even if you roll the cost of renovations into it. Not sure how the Land Bank works in terms of buyer mortgage requirements, but it's an example of the types of opportunities you can find.
If OP doesn't buy that house in Detroit Shoreway, I am.

You've been warned!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hmm.... if you are looking to buy I don't see how you could possibly care more about the area than the house itself.
I know we can find a house we like once we find what area to live in. We're good at finding houses.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
We're probably going to look for a house to move right into this time. Our current house was a complete renovation project, and I'm not sure we're ready to do that again. But we could change our minds, and it's good to have the information you posted, thank you.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
What about something like this: https://www.trulia.com/property/3051...eland-OH-44111

About a 10-minute walk to the Triskett station. This a pretty good area. I used to play baseball at Tuland Park (and at Mohican just east of there) in the late nineties and from what I hear, the area has not changed too much. It's city of Cleveland proper, so I don't think resale value is going to be as good as in Lakewood (personal opinion) but you would be west of the Red Line tracks and I think that neighborhood will hold its value better than the neighborhood east of the tracks (I'm speaking of the area south of I-90, east of Berea Road, and over to W. 117th St., an area which I have a personal fondness for, but has been seeing increased crime recently). The Birchwood listing here is also zoned to Riverside Elementary which has long had a reputation as one of the best Cleveland public neighborhood schools. Many families in the neighborhood use Catholic schools as well.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post

Wow for that kind of money, you can literally live anywhere you please in Cleveland. If I were you, I'd personally be running to the West Park neighborhood. By far the nicest part of Cleveland in my opinion and also close to several rapid stops

Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times
Quote:
W. 117th St., an area which I have a personal fondness for, but has been seeing increased crime recently). The Birchwood listing here is also zoned to Riverside Elementary which has long had a reputation as one of the best Cleveland public neighborhood schools. Many families in the neighborhood use Catholic schools as well.
Agreed. I lived over near 117th and Lorain briefly and I actually bought a rental property around there. It definitely is a little rough in that neighborhood. There have been several murders and dozens of shootings in the area recently. Tons of thugs always walking around, racing around the streets recklessly, being loud at all times of day and night, you know the normal Cleveland ghetto type stuff. There seems to be a sharp drop off as you head east of 117th too. Housing prices are sort of in limbo. There are some dirt cheap houses coupled with a few decent priced ones scattered throughout. Not sure if that is a sign of it declining or a sign of improving, considering I don't know much about the history of the area. There is TONS of potential though and the city/developers are already starting to capitalize with the Lorain Ave street improvements and the renovation of Variety Theater (which is looking great by the way). The police and/or the citizens just need to try to come together to get rid of the bad apples and keep them away and then you got yourself a nice little neighborhood (I know, much easier said than done)

Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
What about something like this: https://www.trulia.com/property/3051...eland-OH-44111

About a 10-minute walk to the Triskett station. This a pretty good area. I used to play baseball at Tuland Park (and at Mohican just east of there) in the late nineties and from what I hear, the area has not changed too much. It's city of Cleveland proper, so I don't think resale value is going to be as good as in Lakewood (personal opinion) but you would be west of the Red Line tracks and I think that neighborhood will hold its value better than the neighborhood east of the tracks (I'm speaking of the area south of I-90, east of Berea Road, and over to W. 117th St., an area which I have a personal fondness for, but has been seeing increased crime recently). The Birchwood listing here is also zoned to Riverside Elementary which has long had a reputation as one of the best Cleveland public neighborhood schools. Many families in the neighborhood use Catholic schools as well.
Link is broke, but yes, I think that might be a good area for us. Definitely high on the list, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland