Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
From what I've seen, the Hispanics in Painesville have a good work ethic. The problem is that they have an elevated drop-out rate which hurts the ratings of the Painesville City schools, at least when several years ago I last examined the state ratings closely for several districts.
"good work ethic" is white code for "not completely useless." I bet you call black people "articulate" too. I know lots of Hispanics in Painesville who didn't drop out. One is a PhD at Sherwin williams now.

IMO very regrettable you use Hispanic instead of latino. This is a smack in the face to the Brazilians in northeast ohio who contribute so much to the economy and culture. I'll assume ignorance instead of malice, though I can't be sure

Please post drop out stats on Painesville "Hispanics" vs other races before making these claims. IMO very dishonest (intentionally?) to use any information from several years ago, as I'm sure you agree. Posts 2415 and 2431 on this thread go into detail about how ridiculous it is to use information that isn't up to date just to assume your biases are accurate.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...sions-244.html

Last edited by bjimmy24; 02-25-2017 at 05:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:46 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Liberal that I am, "nuclear-free" Cleveland Heights and their hypocrisy involving race and schools makes me shake my head. "Well there's less white kids because the Jewish families send their kids to private schools." While that may be true to some extent, it was not the answer you would give decades ago when state champion basketball teams would have a starting five of Jewish names, and later when the teams were integrated. The kids were not fleeing to private schools. Key word is "fleeing." When did CH become Maple Heights in that regard?
CH folks have a tough time admitting it, but with the schools, it's race now and has been for years.
You believe in your schools and your community? Back it up and stay, and make it better. And don't let your too-proud-to-admit-it perceived fears stop you from staying in a proud district and even prouder community.
You believe in your town? Put up or shut up.
I don't understand this post at all or who you're trying to blame. The people currently living in the Heights generally do believe in the community. The Heights has always had large portions of families using private schools due to large concentrations of Catholic and Jewish residents, as well as wealthy residents who like the fantastic variety of housing options but prefer independent schools. Has that private school portion increased in recent years? Probably, because demographic changes in the public schools (due in large part public school families moving out) has lead people to increasingly have a negative perception.

I don't know what the solution is, but I am certainly not going to be upset with young families that choose the community but use private schools. At least they're not abandoning the community altogether because of a belief that the grass is greener someplace else. The people who gave up on the community and are long gone are the ones to blame for the (often overstated) decline in some of the Heights neighborhoods.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I don't understand this post at all or who you're trying to blame. The people currently living in the Heights generally do believe in the community. The Heights has always had large portions of families using private schools due to large concentrations of Catholic and Jewish residents, as well as wealthy residents who like the fantastic variety of housing options but prefer independent schools. Has that private school portion increased in recent years? Probably, because demographic changes in the public schools (due in large part public school families moving out) has lead people to increasingly have a negative perception.

I don't know what the solution is, but I am certainly not going to be upset with young families that choose the community but use private schools. At least they're not abandoning the community altogether because of a belief that the grass is greener someplace else. The people who gave up on the community and are long gone are the ones to blame for the (often overstated) decline in some of the Heights neighborhoods.
Ch-uh is problematic. Yes lots of Catholics and jews, but there used to be more. Property taxes in the district only go one direction. I think a lot of the remaining jews and Catholics are aging. The younger families are not moving in anymore or moving out because they would be paying high taxes to not even use the schools.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:53 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Liberal that I am, "nuclear-free" Cleveland Heights and their hypocrisy involving race and schools makes me shake my head.
We moved out of the Heights (CH-UH) because they DIDN'T have a nuclear program. While most of the West side communities were building long range ICBMs to cross the river, CH government was living in a quixotic mindset from the last century.

More seriously, we moved out of CH-UH because......even though I want to believe in a great society, I had to admit it was asking a lot to put my kids on the front line. They were the soldiers, I was just a general, so to speak. I have to admit that I have the same desires for my kids as most of the African American dads had for theirs. They were moving, I was moving, we all moved together.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:16 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
We moved out of the Heights (CH-UH) because they DIDN'T have a nuclear program. While most of the West side communities were building long range ICBMs to cross the river, CH government was living in a quixotic mindset from the last century.
As someone who is not familiar with the social/political aspect of Cleveland Heights, what is so wrong with the community?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
As someone who is not familiar with the social/political aspect of Cleveland Heights, what is so wrong with the community?
It's a great community overall. Quite diverse both socially and economically. Fairly progressive. Great old housing stock for the most part, some areas are sketchy particularly to the north side. Great parks, cultural events, city services are still pretty good. For the most part, it is a very safe community.

The big problem a lot of young families have is the schools. And contrary to popular belief, the concern is across the board, both white and black families have the same concerns. One could easily argue that African American kids are more at risk in the CH-UH school system than white kids. The white kids (in general) are expected to excel - and naturally segregate along those lines. This, IMO, is a societal problem we have to admit and I think it starts in the minds of kids in junior high. In large public schools that have large numbers of lower class African American students, there is some amount of peer pressure to not excel in academics. Moving to a mostly white, more affluent suburb can change this dynamic.

But if you don't have kids, CH-UH is great. And if you do have kids and can afford it, many parents send their kids to private schools. Some tough it out, sending their kids to the public schools and this too can be quite successful. Or not. Depends.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:14 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
"good work ethic" is white code for "not completely useless." I bet you call black people "articulate" too.
What a bigoted straw man argument.

Quote:
I know lots of Hispanics in Painesville who didn't drop out. One is a PhD at Sherwin williams now.
Aren't you from University Hts. or Cleveland Hts.? How do you know "lots of Hispanics in Painesville?" I live in the general vicinity of Painesville and frequently have encounters with Painesville Hispanics.

Quote:
IMO very regrettable you use Hispanic instead of latino. This is a smack in the face to the Brazilians in northeast ohio who contribute so much to the economy and culture. I'll assume ignorance instead of malice, though I can't be sure
Having looked at state report cards, apparently unlike you, I knew that Ohio uses the term Hispanic and not Latino. Ohio reports statistics for Hispanics with no subdivisions for Latinos.

What's regrettable is that you consistently insult persons due to your own ignorance.

Quote:
Please post drop out stats on Painesville "Hispanics" vs other races before making these claims. IMO very dishonest (intentionally?) to use any information from several years ago, as I'm sure you agree.
Here are the statistics for the 2015-2016 school year. Click on "More Data" under "Gap Closing."

Pages - District-Report

Note that about 30 percent of Painesville City's students have limited English, over 20 percent have learning disabilities and almost 100 percent are economically disadvantaged. Click on "District Details" here.

Pages - District-Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland