Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times

Advertisements

I received an email from Painsville a few weeks ago after I mentioned I have not visited there. It does seem to be that small town feel.

You may love Chagrin Falls (Popcorn Shop) as a small town feel.

I do plan to see Painsville on my next visit.

I think you are looking for something like Mayberry- small town, friendly people, mom and pop shops, etc. There are more than a few around CLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 PM

840 posts, read 760,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I received an email from Painsville a few weeks ago after I mentioned I have not visited there. It does seem to be that small town feel.

I think you are looking for something like Mayberry- small town, friendly people, mom and pop shops, etc. There are more than a few around CLE.
Yes, I think I am looking for that type of town right now and good to hear that there may be more than a few nearby! I've been in cities so much and kind of sick of them right now. : )

Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok just gonna say, it seems like you haven't really been many places and everywhere you've been you keep kinda putting down. Seems like you're going out of your way to dislike things. Like big blocks? I don't know, they're just blocks. I think when you're criticizing block sizes you have to ask yourself if you're really being fair to your new home. Been to Manhattan? Now those are some big blocks! Not sure why that matters though.

Please go to some of the suggested places! The more you generalize and put down the more you get yourself stuck in that mindset, I think.
True...I haven't seen enough here and I should stop comparing what I do see with other cities I've lived in and try and accept and enjoy this area for what it is. I did have good things to say about the people. In my defense though...the city is so spread out and huge and so are the blocks. NYC may have large blocks but there is much going on so you don't notice it as much. CLE has large areas to cross with not that much in between and it can be tedious and exhausting (for me). You're young and probably don't notice. Portland OR designed their downtown with small blocks and have many things at eye level to enjoy as you walk around. CLE is much bigger (Denver is sort of like that too).

I did see Gordon Square and went to Lakewood again and they were nice but I guess I don't want to be this close to a city anymore and will have to look a bit outside the city/urban areas. I also went to Little Italy and liked that. So...will keep exploring. I do have the RTA app and will check out the other one you mentioned...thanks!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:

Chagrin Falls is kind of expensive to live in, isn't it?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
Coming from Seattle, it may not feel like it. For the area, yes. Depends on her $$.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Did you receive an e-mail from a City of Painesville official? If so, it's interesting that city officials follow this forum.

Painesville is a very diverse community, with a wide range of neighborhoods and a very charming historical district. I don't remember seeing a Wikipedia article with the income numbers scrubbed, but they would be on low side in Painesville compared to surrounding communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painesville,_Ohio

You'll get a good feel for it if you check out the likes of Joughin's Hardware, the Painesville United Methodist Church (perhaps Painesville's equivalent of the Old Stone Church), Recreation Park, Morley Library, and Beatty's Landing metropark. Also check out Fairport Harbor. Try to visit the Steele Mansion.

http://www.painesville.com/vertical/...ion_FINAL_.pdf

One of Painesville's appeals is it close proximity to Mentor and Holden Arboretum IMO.

IMO, Willloughby is more dynamic with a more happening downtown area. It's also closer to Cleveland attractions.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:07 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Quote:
There are tons of reasons for this, but I'd say the biggest is the forced suburbanization perpetrated by the federal government with the construction of highways and utter demolition of core neighborhoods. Very sad indeed.
This happened, and impacted many neighborhoods (Tremont and the former "Big Italy" come to mind with the highway dispersal) but much of it is race. It just was, and is. And all of that is complex and has been beaten to death on this forum a ton. As it should......it's a big reason for Cleveland's housing settlement patterns, even today.
The way it went down in Collinwood in the 70's and 80's and Maple Heights in the 80's and 90's is almost like the old white flight of the 60's. Almost play by play the same, with the added measure of schools thrown in. Truly amazing (and sad on several levels) to watch. Lots of blame all around as to why it all changed. Much of it was fear.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Funny how people's opinions are diverse. I have cousins in Solon, but only stay downtown. I LOVE IT THERE!
I had a better experience downtown. I saw some areas that I hadn't seen before, so I can see that it can be appealing but it still feels so huge and not that walkable but that's probably because I'm short and old!

Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I had a better experience downtown. I saw some areas that I hadn't seen before, so I can see that it can be appealing but it still feels so huge and not that walkable but that's probably because I'm short and old!
I agree that downtown doesn't quite run together as much as I would like. Walking from Public Square to the Rock Hall/Voinovich Park for example- 1 mile. But there really isn't anything inbetween the two. Plus you have to walk over the shoreway which makes it seem really disconnected. West of public square is walkable (Warehouse District, Flats), but those surface lots do get in the way. I think the best and most connected part of downtown is from Public Square off Euclid to Cleveland State. Too bad it all isn't connected like that. Maybe it will be though.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
I agree that downtown doesn't quite run together as much as I would like. Walking from Public Square to the Rock Hall/Voinovich Park for example- 1 mile. But there really isn't anything inbetween the two. Plus you have to walk over the shoreway which makes it seem really disconnected. West of public square is walkable (Warehouse District, Flats), but those surface lots do get in the way. I think the best and most connected part of downtown is from Public Square off Euclid to Cleveland State.
First of all, it's a 0.8 mile walk from Public Square to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a walk that most residents wouldn't make often at all, if ever.

Tourists could walk up Euclid Ave. to the Arcade, visit the Public Library, then head up East 9th St. Clearly, there are major hotels, residences, and employment along East 9th St. To say there is nothing in between Public Square and the Rock Hall is utter nonsense.

However, tourists also could take a free bus trolley much closer to the Rock Hall, or just take the Waterfront rail rapid. Good mass transit contributes greatly to a city's walkability.

Cleveland's downtown sports venues, convention center, and entertainment districts are incredibly compact and connected by robust mass transit compared with any other city which comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland