Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
Everyone respond is very helpful. Thank you. I'm interested in Cleveland now and will study more about it. Will visit one day.
That’s a wise decision. The best way to make a decision about a place is to see it for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM

171 posts, read 148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My experience living in the PNW anyway was just the opposite. Constant layoffs and business shut downs. Only some professions flourished. But just as in the Midwest, much of that depended upon what type of work you did.

I know less about the West Coast than the East, although I do have family in both San Francisco and the Portland area. My niece moved to Portland about a year ago and found a job right away.

When I moved from Ohio to New Jersey, the thing that blew me away was the amount of jobs. People had no concept of having to leave the area where they grew up to find employment. So different from the rust belt where I grew up, where virtually every person I went to high school with left town. There's a reason why the cities in the East tend to be flooded with immigrants and transplants from other parts of the U.S. There are tons and tons of people like me and my husband who came for the jobs.

Real estate tends to appreciate much faster on the coasts than it does in the Midwest. When my sister put her house on the market (in San Francisco), it sold within a day or two. The place that she bought near Portland has already gone way up in value--and it's only been a few years. The trick, of course, is getting into the market to begin with.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
I know less about the West Coast than the East, although I do have family in both San Francisco and the Portland area. My niece moved to Portland about a year ago and found a job right away.

When I moved from Ohio to New Jersey, the thing that blew me away was the amount of jobs. People had no concept of having to leave the area where they grew up to find employment. So different from the rust belt where I grew up, where virtually every person I went to high school with left town. There's a reason why the cities in the East tend to be flooded with immigrants and transplants from other parts of the U.S. There are tons and tons of people like me and my husband who came for the jobs.

Real estate tends to appreciate much faster on the coasts than it does in the Midwest. When my sister put her house on the market (in San Francisco), it sold within a day or two. The place that she bought near Portland has already gone way up in value--and it's only been a few years. The trick, of course, is getting into the market to begin with.
In my opinion, you're comparing apples and oranges. Real estate on the Coasts is gonna appreciate more than the Midwest because there's better economy and wealth on the Coasts so there's higher demand. Also, bigger and growing populations than the Midwest. In the Midwest, populations are declining, and the reputation and perception by the media doesn't help either. Plus, it all depends on the areas out there just like anywhere else. I'm curious what job field were you and your husband in?

Also, people on the Coasts wouldn't get the concept because they never had to leave to gain employment, everything is right there. Oh, it must be nice to be handed things lol (meaning people who are on the Coasts).

Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post

Also, people on the Coasts wouldn't get the concept because they never had to leave to gain employment, everything is right there. Oh, it must be nice to be handed things lol (meaning people who are on the Coasts).
Competition for jobs here is intense. Imagine everyone you're competing with has an Ivy League MA. Normal here.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Competition for jobs here is intense. Imagine everyone you're competing with has an Ivy League MA. Normal here.
My point exactly, we never been handed things like the Coasts. We have to work hard and grind and we get laughed at for it.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
In my opinion, you're comparing apples and oranges. Real estate on the Coasts is gonna appreciate more than the Midwest because there's better economy and wealth on the Coasts so there's higher demand. Also, bigger and growing populations than the Midwest. In the Midwest, populations are declining, and the reputation and perception by the media doesn't help either. Plus, it all depends on the areas out there just like anywhere else. I'm curious what job field were you and your husband in?

QCongress:
You ask what fields my husband and I are in: I'd rather not go into too much detail about what we do online, but I can tell you that we are both in technical occupations: He has a background in math and works with computers, I'm an engineer.

I agree that the people on the coasts have been handed things and completely take it all for granted.

It's sad that the "reputation and perception" of the Midwest isn't so great, because I think the quality of life is a lot higher in Midwestern cities than on the coasts. So I guess Midwesterners take some things for granted, too.

I feel sad reading this forum because Clevelanders seem to have such a defensive attitude about their city. I'm glad I've spent so many years on the East Coast if only because it's taught me to appreciate the quality of life in the Midwest. If I do end up retiring in Cleveland (my current plan), I'll have no regrets.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:

You don't need an Ivy League background to do well in Massachusetts. My first husband grew up just outside of Boston and most of his friends did not attend Ivy League schools. Yet they all found jobs in the Boston area and are now very successful. They might not have gotten as far as they could have with an Ivy League degree, but they are doing well enough. Most Midwesterners would kill to have jobs like theirs.

That being said, it is much easier if you grew up there and already know people. It would be much harder for someone from the Midwest to relocate there.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
You don't need an Ivy League background to do well in Massachusetts. My first husband grew up just outside of Boston and most of his friends did not attend Ivy League schools. Yet they all found jobs in the Boston area and are now very successful. They might not have gotten as far as they could have with an Ivy League degree, but they are doing well enough. Most Midwesterners would kill to have jobs like theirs.
Well, I don't know how old you or your husband are, but this area is very different from even a decade ago. I live here now, not the 80s or 90s.

I don't have an Ivy League degree either. I have a couple BAs from OSU,that's it. But that doesn't mean the competition isn't intense. It is.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't know how old you or your husband are, but this area is very different from even a decade ago. I live here now, not the 80s or 90s.

I don't have an Ivy League degree either. I have a couple BAs from OSU,that's it. But that doesn't mean the competition isn't intense. It is.

I think one good measure would be how many kids growing up in the Boston area are leaving the region to find work? That's still very common in the rust belt.

BTW, my husband's friends and siblings all have kids who are young adults. One of them graduated UMass a few years ago and is now working in the computer field with a major corporation.

Last edited by gouldnm; 01-25-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
My buddy lives in Ipswich with his own business that he started years ago. He does very well and I do not think he has more than a BA.

Attitude, hard work, creativity are beginning to earn jobs more than ever before. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland