Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:07 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

I didn’t listen to the podcast, but I did live near Cleveland for 40+ years. Cleveland and it’s people are great, but it amazes me that a city with all the geographic advantages, like a lakefront and central location, cannot seem to get out of its own way.

A vibrant city needs to attract young professionals with forward thinking ideas. The economic hits to the Midwest have taken its toll. Too many years of democrats and the union mentality have hurt Cleveland.

I have not lived in Ohio for 8 years, but I hope it has become more business friendly, so the Cleveland area can attract some new blood.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is good. I used to follow sports a lot. It's all gotten stupid though. Sports fans are just dumb overall. Hate to say it.

I really don't think the city needs marketing at all though. Comes off as try-hard and desperate sometimes. Cleveland should just focus on being the best place to live in the country. If it became easy to start a business, if taxes were slightly lower, if you could live in the city and not worry about the education or safety of your children, people would live there. This would be a much better strategy than glossy brochures.

It doesn't even have to be that radical. Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati don't get a ton of press either. But those are just good places to live. Thus, they are doing- all things considered- quite well (especially compared to Cleveland as a whole).
I'm not a big fan of sports fans either. Some seem really idiotic to me.

I may be wrong but it seems some marketing might help to counter the negative old stereotypes that I hear are associated with Cleveland. I agree that they need to do more to make it attractive to live/work here. However more favorable press about Cleveland's attributes might encourage some to visit to and maybe even check it out for possible relocation as the coasts and some other cities become so prohibitively expensive.

I don't love it here but the art and classical music is wonderful, as is the parks system (which I don't take advantage of), the authenticity of neighborhoods and restaurants, the Cleveland Clinic, Playhouse Square, being on Lake Erie and the relative affordability, for starters. I don't even think the weather is that bad (many people warned me about it before I came here).

I see what look like positive changes happening and hope it continues to improve because I see much potential here. But crime and blight need to be addressed more seriously and if downtown if to be a real neighborhood it needs shopping including large grocery store. Maybe some day.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I was waiting for the OP to post yet another one of his gloom and doom Cleveland posts. So he found this podcast, oh dear! It’s easy to dig around and find anything that will back you up. Over and over again ad nauseum.

Then we’ll get The questioning of the OP’s responders, “What is it like were you live?” “What do you think of such and such place?” “Compare and contrast X and Y?”

Then the bumping up of the thread as it begins to wain.

Deja Vu all over again.

I don’t think it’s Cleveland that has any more lack of confidence than any other city of its type. It’s a work in progress. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again to the OP, there is no point whatsoever in living in a place you feel is so inferior. We get it, you live to criticize Cleveland. So move some place better, someplace that suits you. It’s people like you who continually point out the bad who give Cleveland a bad name.

That’s all I intend to contribute to this thread. My “ignore” list awaits.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:58 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times
I did see a report on the school system and really think the current Super is doing things well. He has some out-of-the-box programs that offer a variety of projects for kids. It seems much more positive. These things take time. Turning around a school system is done over years. You need kids to be in the "new" system for years to show growth because they are a product of the system. K-12 is 13 years. It does appear the current leadership is focusing on learning over paperwork.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was waiting for the OP to post yet another one of his gloom and doom Cleveland posts. So he found this podcast, oh dear! It’s easy to dig around and find anything that will back you up. Over and over again ad nauseum.

Then we’ll get The questioning of the OP’s responders, “What is it like were you live?” “What do you think of such and such place?” “Compare and contrast X and Y?”

Then the bumping up of the thread as it begins to wain.

Deja Vu all over again.

I don’t think it’s Cleveland that has any more lack of confidence than any other city of its type. It’s a work in progress. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again to the OP, there is no point whatsoever in living in a place you feel is so inferior. We get it, you live to criticize Cleveland. So move some place better, someplace that suits you. It’s people like you who continually point out the bad who give Cleveland a bad name.

That’s all I intend to contribute to this thread. My “ignore” list awaits.
Agreed. I'm really not sure what the point is anymore.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
It comes down to the economy. Outside of health care, Cleveland isn’t a huge draw for relocation, despite its many assets.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I didn’t listen to the podcast, but I did live near Cleveland for 40+ years. Cleveland and it’s people are great, but it amazes me that a city with all the geographic advantages, like a lakefront and central location, cannot seem to get out of its own way.

A vibrant city needs to attract young professionals with forward thinking ideas. The economic hits to the Midwest have taken its toll. Too many years of democrats and the union mentality have hurt Cleveland.

I have not lived in Ohio for 8 years, but I hope it has become more business friendly, so the Cleveland area can attract some new blood.
Cite amply how the unions and Democrats have hurt the Cleveland. Unless you're just bringing political opinion unnecessarily into this...

Old 06-24-2018, 05:47 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It comes down to the economy. Outside of health care, Cleveland isn’t a huge draw for relocation, despite its many assets.
Any city needs to be diversified in order to withstand ups and downs of globalization.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:01 PM

171 posts, read 148,766 times
Agree that the economy is the biggest problem with Cleveland. As a person getting close to retirement, I think it's a wonderful city. But I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was a young person who was just getting started in my career.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:47 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
This thread is not going anywhere constructive, I'm closing it before it turns into a fight.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland