Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 01:03 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I like the Aces, Engines, and Thunderbirds.

I think my favorite so far is the Engines, gives that rough, raw, heavy metal vibe that works for us.

I was trying to work in the 351 Cleveland (most famous engine built at Brookpark) but couldn't find a name that worked well.
Internal combustion engines will be artifacts of the past within 20 years. Using engines as a team nickname may become the equivalent of the "Buggy Whips."

Thinking of engines as representative of Cleveland industry, however, Cleveland's industrial past includes an emphasis on lighting, due to Charles Brush's development of arc street lighting and the long-time presence of GE Lighting in the city.

<<Cleveland was the first city to have electric street lighting in the United States.>>

https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Charles_F._Brush

Because it's a double entendre, "Arcs" may be a great nickname for the Cleveland MLB franchise.

<<The ball rose in a high arc and landed beyond the fence.>>

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...ry/english/arc

https://clevelandmagazine.com/cleade...eet%20lighting.

<<But after the five-year facade renovation in 2010, 508 computer-operated LED light panels illuminate the top eight floors. "This is the same system used by the Empire State Building," says Beck, the Terminal Tower's director of operations. "But we had it first.">>

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the...nge-cleveland-

Personally, I still like the "Rockers," due to its emphasis on Cleveland's musical culture and immense, unequaled merchandising potential, but Arcs has moved into second place on my personal list of preferred potential nicknames. Headline writers would love "Arcs!"

Last edited by WRnative; 12-24-2020 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 10:35 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
This whole "woke" generation is laughable at best. So what's next? Are we going to change the name of the Blackhawks and the Braves also? What about the Dolphins? Dolphins are an intelligent species. They are probably offended that they are being named after a football team. We need to change the name ASAP. Same with any other team that's named after something that might offend someone in the slightest way.

America has become soft.

Seriously though, what bootlicker tried to earn brownie points by promoting the Indians name change during a pandemic? You mean to tell me this group had nothing more important to do during these times?

What a joke.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:44 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really don't know why you demean other people's opinions so much.
Instead of arguing over new names (which is exactly what the woke generation wants you to do) everyone should be fighting to keep what is theirs. Don't let a group of bootlickers change the name when we don't even know for sure if a majority of Indians even want the change. Did someone give a survey to the American Indians asking them if the name was viewed as honorable or if they were offended? Of course not. Someone just assumed that a majority of them wanted it changed, and then went on to promote the change while the fans stood by twiddling their thumbs and not questioning anything. Unless we know for sure that is what THEY as a MAJORITY want, then why is anyone blindly agreeing with this change?

We saw what happens when politics enter sports. Everyone is turned off. Look at the NBA. Usually during he finals and after the finals I get about 20 or so texts from various people discussing the game. This year, nothing. Not even a discussion about the playoffs. NO ONE CARED. No one even discussed lebron's 4th ring. No one even watched. So I can only assume that most people's social circles were similar. The 2020 NBA finals ratings hit an all time low. So instead of learning from that, the MLB wants to bring politics into baseball now? LOL good luck with that one.

"oh snap, the redskins changed their name! Let's show up what we are made of and follow suit like good sheep!" - Cleveland Indians front office.

I will continue to wear my 95 Indians jersey to any game that I may attend in the future that has the pennant patch on the sleeve.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Instead of arguing over new names (which is exactly what the woke generation wants you to do) everyone should be fighting to keep what is theirs. Don't let a group of bootlickers change the name when we don't even know for sure if a majority of Indians even want the change. Did someone give a survey to the American Indians asking them if the name was viewed as honorable or if they were offended? Of course not. Someone just assumed that a majority of them wanted it changed, and then went on to promote the change while the fans stood by twiddling their thumbs and not questioning anything. Unless we know for sure that is what THEY as a MAJORITY want, then why is anyone blindly agreeing with this change?

We saw what happens when politics enter sports. Everyone is turned off. Look at the NBA. Usually during he finals and after the finals I get about 20 or so texts from various people discussing the game. This year, nothing. Not even a discussion about the playoffs. NO ONE CARED. No one even discussed lebron's 4th ring. No one even watched. So I can only assume that most people's social circles were similar. The 2020 NBA finals ratings hit an all time low. So instead of learning from that, the MLB wants to bring politics into baseball now? LOL good luck with that one.

"oh snap, the redskins changed their name! Let's show up what we are made of and follow suit like good sheep!" - Cleveland Indians front office.

I will continue to wear my 95 Indians jersey to any game that I may attend in the future that has the pennant patch on the sleeve.
Read through this thread, including posts 104 and especially 109, which features quotes from this column, which actually explains the Native American attitudes about the Indians franchise name, especially to the extent it legitimatizes the use of Chief Wahoo

https://www.cleveland.com/livingston...rt_river_index

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...police-11.html

Note also the legal problems explained in post 104 inherent with the continued use of the Indians name.

See post 120 regarding Native American leadership disgust with the Indians brand name.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...police-12.html

Clearly, you are proud of being a member of the "unwoke" generation, apparently at best indifferent to concerns about systemic racism issues.

Do you also favor the policy of continuing to name U.S. military bases after traitors who fought to maintain slavery in the U.S., as does President Trump? It will be interesting to see if Congress overrides Trump's veto of the Defense Authorization Act which contains a provision to remove Confederate names from U.S. military bases.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...de/3902331001/

It's fascinating that a Virginia Senator and former Virginia governor was a co-sponsor of the Confederate Monument Removal Act as well as a leading proponent of renaming of military bases currently named after Confederate leaders. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Warner also is too "woke" for your tastes.

https://www.warner.senate.gov/public...horization-act

This week, we likely will learn how "woke" is the Congress of the U.S. on at least one systemic racism issue -- the renaming of military bases currently honoring Confederate leaders.

BTW, the State of Virginia at its own volition this past week removed Robert E. Lee from the National Statuary Hall in the US. Capitol.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...capitol-449503

Here's another reality for "conservatives" who avow an interest in business rights. The Dolans own the Cleveland MLB franchise. What right do you and others, apart from your actions as consumers of their product, have to interfere in their business decisions about branding their product?

The NBA had its 2020 season disrupted and the NBA 2020 championship season was played in a bubble with no fans. It's hard to blame NBA TV ratings in the Year of COVID entirely on the NBA's embrace of its players' concerns about systemic racism. The Lakers/Heat series also was very boring, especially with key Miami players on the injured list.

Personally, I've found all sports trivial this year and much less entertaining, and I'm not certain yet if my change in attitude is permanent or not. All I know is that I now record all sporting contests that interest me, including all Indians and Browns games, and all Ohio State football and basketball games, and zap the heck out of them, totally unwilling to spend more than 30 minutes to an hour watching ANY sports contest, not even championship games.

Yesterday, both the Ohio State loss to Northwestern in basketball and the Cavs victory over the Pistons were great games. I watched about 1/2 hour of each of them, despite the fact that the Cavs game went to double overtime (I mostly watched the overtimes).

Note that 2020 viewership for the Kentucky Derby also was down over 50 percent, with PC not an issue there.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...06.4%20million.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-27-2020 at 03:01 AM..

Old 12-27-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Don't let a group of bootlickers change the name when we don't even know for sure if a majority of Indians even want the change.
Personally, I consider persons demanding a franchise name change as xxxkickers, not bootlickers, ridding ourselves of some racial insensitivities that badly need to be kicked aside. Doing so amid and in the aftermath of an economic and health disaster seems like an opportune time to make the change economically. Picking a good brand name also may facilitate a rebirth of the franchise, even though I'm not optimistic about the future of MLB nor perhaps of pro athletic sports in general in the U.S. One of the fastest growing sports in the U.S. are video game competitions.

Catering to the "unwoke" generation, which is gradually disappearing, is a folly as the nation inevitably becomes increasingly diverse.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:24 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
It’s a business decision like anything else. DC’s defiant NFL owner had to eat a heap of humble pie when he was told he had to change the name if he wanted to build a new stadium in the city, and he decided it was worth the trade-off. Now the Cleveland MLB team, already in a declining sport and a stagnant (population wise) region decided to wake up to modern cultural norms, where marketing cultural stereotypes is no longer accepted by the younger generations. Since they want to sell merchandise to people outside of those who were buying in 1995, they decided a name change makes good business sense.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Read through this thread, including posts 104 and especially 109, which features quotes from this column, which actually explains the Native American attitudes about the Indians franchise name, especially to the extent it legitimatizes the use of Chief Wahoo

Thanks for all that. Saved me a lot of typing.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Internal combustion engines will be artifacts of the past within 20 years.

Nope. Not even close. You do realize that a jet engine, while not of the intermittent combustion and reciprocating variety, is still an internal combustion engine. No?

Old 12-31-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Nope. Not even close. You do realize that a jet engine, while not of the intermittent combustion and reciprocating variety, is still an internal combustion engine. No?
And how many individuals own a jet engine? There are certainly many more persons who own a horse, and probably many more persons who own horse-drawn buggys/wagons, especially if the Amish are considered.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Cleveland killers
Cleveland chill
Cleveland sluggers
Cleveland ethnics
Cleveland Pierogies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland