Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm not talking about Baltimore or St Louis or Detroit etc. I'm just pointing out that to a lot of other cities, Cleveland blight is incredible. Nor did I claim it was the leader. Cllearly, Cleveland has a blight problem that is one of the worst in the country though. We can nitpick places here and there, but any honest person realizes this.
So this is undoubtedly a stupid question, but why doesn't the city knock these old buildings/factories down if they are not going to be repurposed to apartments or put back into use? Is it that expensive to take a wrecking ball to these monstrosities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 09:39 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
So this is undoubtedly a stupid question, but why doesn't the city knock these old buildings/factories down if they are not going to be repurposed to apartments or put back into use? Is it that expensive to take a wrecking ball to these monstrosities?
Unless it’s on government owned land, they’d either need to get owner permission or have it deemed a public nuisance or threat to the public.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:17 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Demolition runs thousands of dollars per property, never mind any ecological/pollutant issues that need to be resolved, which would raise costs.

Cities' budgets are tight enough already; even if they seize properties via eminent domain or own them outright, demolition just isn't always on the top of the budget's pecking order.

Wish it were.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:42 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Demolition runs thousands of dollars per property, never mind any ecological/pollutant issues that need to be resolved, which would raise costs.

Cities' budgets are tight enough already; even if they seize properties via eminent domain or own them outright, demolition just isn't always on the top of the budget's pecking order.

Wish it were.
Agree. And some of the bigger blight, like the old factories and some of those 3 & 4 story apartments, like
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5351...2!8i6656?hl=en
are not eligible for federal funding because they're not traditional single family houses.

In a perfect world, we'd scratch back some of the lost money from the great financial scandal of the 2000s to pay for all this, tearing it down and at least creating some development opportunities, perhaps some small city parks.

On the subject of blight though, the west coast cities have their own problems with homelessness.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
On the subject of blight though, the west coast cities have their own problems with homelessness.
That's true. I don't have a ton of experience on the west coast, but I was absolutely shocked by the homeless situation in Seattle when I was there in October. Never seen anything even remotely like it anywhere in Cleveland or the entire easter US.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
It's too cold to be "outdoor" homeless in the Midwest, and drying city budgets have not provided that many shelters. Seattle, Portland, St. Francisco, LA - the homeless aren't moving there for the taxes.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's true. I don't have a ton of experience on the west coast, but I was absolutely shocked by the homeless situation in Seattle when I was there in October. Never seen anything even remotely like it anywhere in Cleveland or the entire easter US.
Yep, even when I moved from there in 2018, the situation was pretty bad, and since the pandemic, at least according to the Seattle threads here, it has really exploded. One of the pleasant surprises of moving here...I haven't seen homeless at all, although there undoubtedly are some.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Yep, even when I moved from there in 2018, the situation was pretty bad, and since the pandemic, at least according to the Seattle threads here, it has really exploded. One of the pleasant surprises of moving here...I haven't seen homeless at all, although there undoubtedly are some.

When persons complain about the level of taxation in Cuyahoga County, they are oblivious to some of the public welfare programs that exist here, but not in many other cities in the nation. Ditto, for parks and even taxpayer-funded support for the arts.

Downtown Cleveland's homeless problem used to be much worse. What changed?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...long-term.html

Note that this program to provide long-term housing for the homeless actually is extraordinarily cost efficient, and perhaps morally just, if we consider that many of the homeless are veterans.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:49 AM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
Drug addiction and mental illness are rampant amongst the homeless communities on the west coast. A large percentage do not take advantage of free shelters due to the rules associated with such shelters (no drugs, dogs, etc.). I’ve seen quite a number of interviews confirming this.

More favorable weather is part of the draw. But so are the non-existent / unenforced drug laws, along with generous handouts provided in those progressive districts.

The homeless tent cities lining once charming streets and parks are, arguably, worse than the post industrial blight of Midwest cities. Picture downtown Willoughby lined with ramshackle tents, pallet shelters, tarps, and the associated waste and refuse. That’s what is happening.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:51 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Drug addiction and mental illness are rampant amongst the homeless communities on the west coast. A large percentage do not take advantage of free shelters due to the rules associated with such shelters (no drugs, dogs, etc.). I’ve seen quite a number of interviews confirming this.

More favorable weather is part of the draw. But so are the non-existent / unenforced drug laws, along with generous handouts provided in those progressive districts.

The homeless tent cities lining once charming streets and parks are, arguably, worse than the post industrial blight of Midwest cities. Picture downtown Willoughby lined with ramshackle tents, pallet shelters, tarps, and the associated waste and refuse. That’s what is happening.
Pioneer Square in Seattle was truly astonishing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland