Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 05:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Recently divorced inactive RN with one cat, inspired by all I say about the Cleveland area, and seeking a lower cost of living ISO studio or one bedroom under $1200. Considering going back to nursing or the medical field.

Her divorce has hurt her credit, so that is a factor. I will not co-sign. Nothing against her, I just don't do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been helping her to search. There are MANY scams. Buying cards - pay-pal cards, etc. Crazy stuff. Many scams out there.
She prefers East Side but is open. She likes Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway, almost any inner ring suburb, anyplace from Lakeview, the Brooklyns, Euclid, The Heights, (most of them) Lyndhurst, S. Euclid, Collinswood, Parma - she is very open.

NOT East Cleveland, and probably not Garfield Heights.

Her preference would be a highrise with a view of the Lake, but she is open and less of a PITA than I can be.
She is comfortable in working-class areas.

She is Jewish, she will join a temple, but is not overly religious, Kosher, or in need of many Jewish-oriented places, other than a decent bagel. But then, she wants good Chinese and Italian food too.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Knowledge of apartment complexes that accept lower credit scores?

Oh she had an SUV so transportation isn't an issue, but parking may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 02:17 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Old fashioned driving around may yield results. There's lots of small apartments and duplexes that just put a sign in the yard. If she can narrow down the target city or neighborhood, then joining their facebook groups and asking there may help too.

High rise with a lake view on bad credit probably isn't happening. Might be something in that spirit available in Euclid or Collinwood if she gets lucky though.

I'm a little biased since it's where I lived when I first came here, but I still think that Shaker Square/Larchmere is a good place to land for transplants on a budget, especially since it's not far from the University Circle hospitals. The fact that it's a little less sought after than other neighborhoods might mean she'll have better luck with her credit.

There's a lot of random rentals dotted throughout Cleveland Heights as well.

$1200 might be tight, but sometimes smaller units go in that range in parts of Shaker Heights, too (Lomond and Winslow Road duplexes, some of the Van Aken Blvd apartments)

This wasn't in Cleveland, but for my first apartment I had no cosigner and no real credit history, but the landlord was willing to accept "first and last plus deposit" in lieu of a cosigner (which would have just been "first plus deposit").

Old 01-10-2024, 10:38 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The Vista in Euclid is a lakefront high-rise that accepts renters with a credit score of 575 or higher. https://www.apartments.com/the-vista-euclid-oh/prwxygs/

Old 01-15-2024, 10:31 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Recently divorced inactive RN with one cat, inspired by all I say about the Cleveland area, and seeking a lower cost of living ISO studio or one bedroom under $1200. Considering going back to nursing or the medical field.

Her divorce has hurt her credit, so that is a factor. I will not co-sign. Nothing against her, I just don't do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been helping her to search. There are MANY scams. Buying cards - pay-pal cards, etc. Crazy stuff. Many scams out there.
She prefers East Side but is open. She likes Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway, almost any inner ring suburb, anyplace from Lakeview, the Brooklyns, Euclid, The Heights, (most of them) Lyndhurst, S. Euclid, Collinswood, Parma - she is very open.

NOT East Cleveland, and probably not Garfield Heights.

Her preference would be a highrise with a view of the Lake, but she is open and less of a PITA than I can be.
She is comfortable in working-class areas.

She is Jewish, she will join a temple, but is not overly religious, Kosher, or in need of many Jewish-oriented places, other than a decent bagel. But then, she wants good Chinese and Italian food too.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Knowledge of apartment complexes that accept lower credit scores?

Oh she had an SUV so transportation isn't an issue, but parking may be.

Check Google maps and work your way along 283/Lakeshore Blvd. in Euclid, or other acceptable areas. In Euclid you have:

Waters Edge (Provides rate rates)

https://www.thewatersedgeapts.com

Normandy Towers
https://normandytowers.com/

Harbor Crest
https://www.harborcrestapts.com/

Shoregate Towers a little farther up by Vine Street
https://www.shoregatetowers.com/

These are lakeside places. Google aerial maps is a good place to look for apartments that would fit her needs/desires.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Shoregate Towers is actually in Willowick. I'd steer clear due to recent news reports. The building's garage collapsed at one point, and the owner is on trial for numerous code violations.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:45 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Shoregate Towers is actually in Willowick. I'd steer clear due to recent news reports. The building's garage collapsed at one point, and the owner is on trial for numerous code violations.

Wow hadn't heard that about Shoregate Towers! Searched it and find it hard to believe in this day and age that any business can get away with so much filth and problems in their rentals. So sad and sounds like they just need to demo the whole place!

Old 01-20-2024, 02:15 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times
Shoregate towers...that place is cursed. Don't move there unless you want to be a glutton for punishment.

I mean lets be real, the owners of that property allowed an embankment to remain at the end of vine street so that when some drunk comes speeding down Vine, they can hit the ramp and crash into the apartment. And guess what, that's exactly what happened. A guy literally hit the embankment at 100 mph and flew 173 feet through the air and slammed into shoregate towers on the 4th floor. How the driver managed to leave the bar in Willoughy, blow through all the lights down Vine without accident, and reach 100 mph before vine dead ends into Lakeshore is anyone's guess.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2010..._car_laun.html

"I guess we better remove the embankment now durr, durr, durr...."

Idiots....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: