Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueen87 View Post
Not trying to scare the newbies but thyis city is a place where you live to get started with your career and gain the opportunity, but once you begin to make headway this city becomes negative to the peopel who live here. The people who live here have a hard time.This city is made for visitors not the people who live here. They way they are changing things makes you dislike it here. I am in college I dont like it here and neither do the people who live here. Sorry but it is what is... Hard work here leads to no job and forclosure.
Haha!! WHAT?!?!? Hard work leads to no job and forclosure?!?!
What school are you in, Cleveland Barber College?

You have a lot to learn, kid...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
At least we HAVE 3 pro teams to cry about. Most cities don't.
Fixed.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Default Cleveland: A rare gem indeed

CLEVELAND is so vastly underrated ... in part due to an inferiority complex that is often self induced! I absolutely LOVE CLEVELAND ... especially more so, after having recently relocated to Columbus for employment.
For the life of me, I do not understand why so many people are "down on a city like Cleveland". The economy has taken a beating ... but so has it in most other areas of the country.
Cleveland is a city of immense beauty, incredible assets and cultural riches ... and it has so many good and decent inhabitants.
One mistake that is made ... it's ok to be proud of our Cleveland Cavaliers ( I am too ) ... but, it almost seems as if Cleveland places an emphasis on shouting out that it's the base of Lebron James and "Shaq". It's great that we have such incredible BIG NAME NBA TALENT in Cleveland ... but why does Cleveland define it's "worth" by it's incredible basketball team?
Lebron James is awesome ( and is also a friend of mine ) ... but ... CLEVELAND didn't come into it's own on the broad shoulders of LeBron, Shaq or any other sports figure.
CLEVELAND is a city with an incredible and varied history ... and it is a city that in many ways has shaped and moulded many things in our country.
Cleveland needs to recognize it's own self worth and its vital importance as one of Americas greatest cities ... and indeed one of the most prolific cities on the world stage.
We have soooooooooooooooo many superlatives that are present in Cleveland ... it's time to take over control of this wonderful cities destiny and ensure its everlasting legacy for future generations.
Arguably, it still remains THE ONLY real city in the state of Ohio ... it offers the best skyline in Ohio, the very best in world class healthcare and museums ... and the list goes on and on and on ...
I love Cleveland ... one day, I hope to see it re-emerge on a grande scale as one of the most "appreciated" cities in America!
Attached Thumbnails
Why does everyone seem so down on Cleveland?-october-sky-cleveland.jpg  

Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueen87 View Post
Not trying to scare the newbies but thyis city is a place where you live to get started with your career and gain the opportunity, but once you begin to make headway this city becomes negative to the peopel who live here. The people who live here have a hard time.This city is made for visitors not the people who live here. They way they are changing things makes you dislike it here. I am in college I dont like it here and neither do the people who live here. Sorry but it is what is... Hard work here leads to no job and forclosure.
If this was Fort Lauderdale (etc) I might be a little more inclined toward your post, but I had to chuckle when you said Cleveland was made for visitors. If anything I would say it's the other way around

As a young professional not too far out of college (a few years) myself, I can say hard work does not necessarily lead to no job and foreclosure. But if I get there I'll definitely let you know.

And if that is your take in the current economy, I don't think you'll find much difference anywhere else you go right now - unfortunately.

And to the rest of you rational guys, feel free to drop in the Akron forum - for some reason we seem to get a disproportionate number of entirely non-factual nonsense posts like the above.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,026 times
Default The people

Break it down , Me and bud doing the weekend home improvement thing at his house, We had to get this project done, and my truck was down , so we rented the truck from the store , It had snowed really good the past couple of days , (so the store's truck had to be cleaned off ),While the young store employee was clearing all the snow off the truck, and we are all so cold , of course conversation ,turned to the crappy weather this town can get ,
without missing a beat my bud said ,but I like this town , which made the young person give that HUh look , and he asked why , as it started to snow ,My bud said ,look I have been all over the world, from Paris to Denmark , to Germany ect . to The East coast to the West coast , It's the PEOPLE , I can't explain it he said , But , It's the people, Damn made me feel good about being a Clevelander ,Now crank that heat in the truck ( and then the young person Worked so much quicker , and with a purpose , and seemed more content in helping to get the job done )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I'd like to know what's wrong with it too. We have the biggest building in Ohio and the prettiest skyline in ohio if you ask me. Plus we have some of the best highways, and nice suburbs. Also have lots of restaurants, shopping, and things to do. Plus we're part of northeast ohio with other cities in their own such as akron, youngstown, and canton. Oh, not to mention the people here are the best. I have been to other cities in ohio such as columbus and cincinnati, and out of state and I can tell you people are totally different - and not in a good way if you ask me.

Last edited by citydudeallover; 11-24-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: had to be there , I guess

Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
Unfortunately in a lot of cases these days it's not "cool" or "hip" to like places such as Cleveland (i.e. Northern, Industrial Belt cities). But there is also starting to be another movement amongst young people to look for and value the positives aspects and possibilities that Cleveland offers. It's far too lazy for someone to say that Cleveland has bad weather, or there aren't any jobs, or there's nothing to do. If you have a negative attitude, you're going to see the world as being a negative place, no matter where you are.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 37,781 times
Cleveland is America's best kept secret.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 AM

708 posts, read 1,815,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyZ View Post
Cleveland is America's best kept secret.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
IAnd to the rest of you rational guys, feel free to drop in the Akron forum - for some reason we seem to get a disproportionate number of entirely non-factual nonsense posts like the above.
Will do.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Unfortunately in a lot of cases these days it's not "cool" or "hip" to like places such as Cleveland (i.e. Northern, Industrial Belt cities). But there is also starting to be another movement amongst young people to look for and value the positives aspects and possibilities that Cleveland offers. It's far too lazy for someone to say that Cleveland has bad weather, or there aren't any jobs, or there's nothing to do. If you have a negative attitude, you're going to see the world as being a negative place, no matter where you are.
Maybe you should heed your own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland