Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM

19 posts, read 64,041 times

Advertisements

I am working on moving to a cheaper apartment because I had to take a job that pays less thanks to our current train-wreck of an economy, so I'm looking for ways to cut costs.

One of the things I would like to do is cut my food bill by doing more shopping at Aldi and Marcs, and less at Giant Ripoff and the other larger grocery stores.

I'm not that savy of a grocery shopper, so I'm looking for advice on how prices on general food items compare at Marcs vs Aldi. Is one store better for certain things?

While were at it, if anyone else has any advice for those of us looking to cut costs, maybe a diamond in the rough around the Cleveland area that no one knows about, or ways you're cutting back, please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris42 View Post
I am working on moving to a cheaper apartment because I had to take a job that pays less thanks to our current train-wreck of an economy, so I'm looking for ways to cut costs.

One of the things I would like to do is cut my food bill by doing more shopping at Aldi and Marcs, and less at Giant Ripoff and the other larger grocery stores.

I'm not that savy of a grocery shopper, so I'm looking for advice on how prices on general food items compare at Marcs vs Aldi. Is one store better for certain things?

While were at it, if anyone else has any advice for those of us looking to cut costs, maybe a diamond in the rough around the Cleveland area that no one knows about, or ways you're cutting back, please share your thoughts!
I always found that most staple items like Milk, eggs, bread, etc. were somewhat cheaper at Aldi and to some extent Marc's than the grocery stores like Giant Eagle. Also, fruits & veggies are definitely cheaper at either of the stores, keep in mind though that it's typically not as fresh as you would find at a G.E. or other supermarket. Aldi has very little name brand items, almost all generic, so it is usually significantly cheaper than name brand products, yet pretty comparable to the valutime/Giant Eagle brand products. Marc's tended to be a little cheaper on some name brand items, but not much difference from what I found. Keep in mind that these were observations from the Canton area, and we moved about a year and a half ago, but I'd imagine that the trends I mentioned hold true in the Cleveland metro area.

Also, invest the $1.50 in buying a Sunday paper and clip the coupons, will make a huge difference especially at a store like Giant Eagle where they double them up to a $1.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
I love Aldi's and have shopped there in Cleveland, the metro DC area, and now where I live in PA. Their generic brands are just as good if not better than the name brand items. Just remember they only take cash and you have to pay to use a cart...
Used to love Marc's too, but produce is always iffy there, and they didn't always have what you were looking for.
If there is a Walmart supercenter in the area, I would recommend it. Their generic line is great and so cheap compared to the name brands.

Definitely clip coupons...I even ask family members and neighbors to give me theirs. Only buy what's on sale at Giant and other stores, and try to combine the sale items with the coupons...and love the stores that double or triple them! Stock up on the items you use regularly when they're on sale.

A new thing I found here in PA...salvage grocery stores. They buy goods that the manufacturer can't sell for multiplie reasons. Sometimes dented cans (which I am leery of), but also things that the labels have changed, or a pallet fell and smashed one end, but the rest are ok, things like that. You could google it and see if there are any around you. The ones here are cash only also.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,008 times
Default The old food pyramid, prior to recent revisions

A balanced diet consists of at least 6-11 servings of grains for its' foundation. Whole grains provide a hearty, satisfying, nutritious and cheap source. They can be found at the grocery store, but generally better quality and selection at reasonable prices in bulk online or at health food stores. Meats are often expensive. A diet can be "bulked up" with beans. Dry beans can be soaked overnight and simmered the next day. Providing an extremely cheap and tasty source of protein. Also can be found bulk online or at Marc's.

You only need about 4-6 ounces of meat a day and 1 cup of beans = two ounces. One egg white = one ounce of meat and you can get a dozen for less than a dollar.

Remember, whole grains and beans are very tasty together, served hot or cold, with a tablespoon of corn or canola oil and plenty of salt (the whole grains will actually lower your blood pressure. salt actually has very little effect on it, despite popular misconceptions )

You only need two pieces of fruit a day. 16 ounces of milk. A few vegetables, for example, a carrot, piece of celery and a little lettuce (also tasty with a little oil and salt!)

You can live very well on this kind of super healthy diet for probably less than a hundred dollars a month.

This place is great for Bulk Whole Grains and Beans

Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Whole Grains

When you eat this way, include something from every food group in each meal. Don't snack. Eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time every day. You'll feel great, probably live to be 100! And save a ton of money

Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times
Aldi's Grandessa brands I found to contain less salt and sugars in some of its products. Bran cereal @ $1.49 a box, they even have Soy milk!!! Produce okay, but I still shop for meat a Acme.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris42 View Post
When I lived in Cleveland, I spent a lot of time trying to find the best deals.

First, for fresh produce, your best deals are down at the West Side Market at W25th and Lorain Ave. Most of the OUTSIDE vendors are what I call "surplus" dealers. They buy the "old" stuff from the wholesalers. There is nothing wrong with the produce BUT use it up in the next week. There are some first quality dealers but you'll find that they are fairly expensive.

For bakery, look for outlet stores. They are a lot of them in the area. Marc's carries some of the Orlando "overbakes."

Marc's is a phenomenal place. Their prices are generally pretty good. They carry a lot of "special purchases" which are great bargains. But you can count on them having certain brands.

Aldi's is the cheapest place in the midwest for groceries, period. Their quality has really improved over the years and is offering some of the same products as Trader Joe's.

What I recommend is you get one of those little spriral notebooks and track what you spend BY ITEM on groceries. Generally, most consumers buy about 100 items. Track the prices of those items wach time you shop and you'll find what market is best for you.

Food can be as cheap or expensive as you make it. For example, you can buy a 2# jar of pinto beans for $2.50. Or you can buy a pound of dry beans for $0.75. Soak those beans overnight and you'll have 2-3# of beans.

The more you cook from scratch, the cheaper it is. If you buy TV dinners, frozen entrees and prrepared foods, you food expense will be a lot higher.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Also remember the close-out stored like Big Lots; you can generally get some pretty good deals.

Also, you will find some pretty good deals at the dollar stores. Make sure that you check the expiration dates.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 AM

56 posts, read 188,023 times
Discount Drug Mart is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlicb View Post
Discount Drug Mart is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Pricewise, they beat the daylights out of all the drug store chains. Unfortuantely, my wife has realized that and we have to take an extra bag whenever we head back home.

Marc's and DDM have one thing in common. Crowded, cluttered aisles and a general perception that they are dirty. At least that is what has come up consistently in focus groups that my wife paid for when she was working for a non-deceased chain. However, despite this, BOTH retailers were cited as the "favorite places to shop" among many Clevelanders.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 AM

220 posts, read 991,404 times
I like Save a Lot & Trader Joes. TJ's is pretty affordable, they are owned by Aldi's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland