Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times

Advertisements

Lakewood is where more younger people live and the closest to Downtown

Beachwood has the malls, but is probably the furtherest drive to downtown.

River River isn't bad, some very nice parts to it and decently close to Crocker Park (westside shopping)

North Olmstead to me is like stated above, very suburban and good for families...but also decently close to Crocker Park for nearby shopping if that's what you're interested in.

EDIT: can you be more specific about what you want besides shopping and safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You don't want to live in Beachwood, its too far from everything, and 271 is a nightmare. If you were going to work at Progressive Insurance I would say Beachwood is fine, but otherwise its just a freaking hassle.
I disagree entirely. Both I-271 and I-480 can be nightmarish during rush hour, but in my opinion, I-480 is always much worse, even during non-peak hours. Additionally, Beachwood is not much further from downtown than the Heights area. Jump on Fairmount, which conveniently goes through the heart of Beachwood, and you can be in Cleveland pretty quickly.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM

12 posts, read 20,223 times
Willoughby is Lake Cty, Depends where you work, I luv It.
Can't beat the Tri - Freeway location. I walk to most shopping and town of Willoughby nitelife ! Friends Church there is great

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM

49 posts, read 170,586 times
271 is only a nightmare if you are trying to get on/off at cedar road at about 5pm. otherwise it's a much more pleasant commute than 480. however, it is about a 35 minute drive to downtown from beachwood, even though it's on the highway.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I grew up in North Olmsted. I hated it when I became an adult and couldn't wait to leave. The traffic near the mall is a nightmare, especailly during Xmas season. I moved to Lakewood. Then to Cleveland proper. I wouldn't exclude the western edge of Cleveland, either, since you don't have kids. Close to everything.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

129 posts, read 346,538 times
I would give another recommendation for Lakewood, with the caveat that jam40jeff mentioned - if you like malls, Applebees, and high-rise apartments, look in North Olmstead or Beachwood.
Lakewood has two distinct personalities, and for the most part they blend harmoniously. One is the urban, walkable, diverse Lakewood, and the other is the small-town, neighborly, suburban Lakewood. In some parts of Lakewood, you can see what looks like Cleveland rental stock next door to a beautifully restored Victorian cottage. In another part, it's upscale gated community. In another part, it's apartments in Tudor castles and fortresses that have 14 foot ceilings, leaded glass windows, and hardwood floors. In more parts, it's a mix of well-kept-up singles and doubles with landscaped yards.
In Lakewood, you can find apartments or condos for rent for $350-$2,000, and half or full houses for the same. Something for everyone, unless, as mentioned before, you like malls. Even then, there's Great Northern and Crocker Park within a 20 minute drive.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marence View Post
I In some parts of Lakewood, you can see what looks like Cleveland rental stock next door to a beautifully restored Victorian cottage. In another part, it's upscale gated community. In another part, it's apartments in Tudor castles and fortresses that have 14 foot ceilings, leaded glass windows, and hardwood floors. In more parts, it's a mix of well-kept-up singles and doubles with landscaped yards. .
In all fairness. the City of Lakewood AGGRESSIVELY enforces the building codes within the city limits. It a homeowner or landlord does not keep up the property, they can and often are cited. One inspector actually goes from house to house looking for missing paint. A neighbor was cited as her house was in desperate need of painting. She had six months to clean it up.

Considering that the bulk of Lakewood's housing stock was built 1900-1930, the houses are fairly well maintained.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all fairness. the City of Lakewood AGGRESSIVELY enforces the building codes within the city limits. It a homeowner or landlord does not keep up the property, they can and often are cited. One inspector actually goes from house to house looking for missing paint. A neighbor was cited as her house was in desperate need of painting. She had six months to clean it up.

Considering that the bulk of Lakewood's housing stock was built 1900-1930, the houses are fairly well maintained.
Lakewood ANNOYINGLY harasses homeowners about their gay building codes. There are no warnings, they will straight up HARASS you and then fine you, even if you have no money. This plus they police that pull you over for going 28 in a 25 make Lakewood a place I would never consider living in. (well maybe the west end, or right on the lake) too much annoying crap to deal with. Plus all the rental units it has, which are already going downhill, but in 5 years will look like parts of the city. Trust me, move on.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Lakewood ANNOYINGLY harasses homeowners about their gay building codes. There are no warnings, they will straight up HARASS you and then fine you, even if you have no money. .
What a horrendous community. One that expects homeowners to keep up their property. Wow, wouldn't want to live in a community like that.

They also seriously harass UNLICENSED contractors. It is terrible that they don't let the unqualified work on your home's electrical system.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:19 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Lakewood is a bit over the top in what needs to be approved by the city. Technicaly you cannot even replace a toilet unless you get it inspected and pay a small fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland