Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,802 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 22 and just got a teaching job at Harvey High School in Painesville. I want to live in an area with other young professionals and preferrably close proximity to fun shopping and cute strip malls people hang out at. I am from Minnesota and have NO knowledge on the area and need an area that gives me the best opportunity to meet people.

I have heard downtown Willoughby is good as well as Mayfield Heights and Cleveland Heights. Beachwood sounds nice too but I think it is too far away.

My goal is to have 25 minutes or less for a daily commute. I think Mayfield would fit the bill but I have heard that 271 is the "snow-belt" and I hate (and am terrified!!) of driving through treacherous weather.

What apartment complexes in any of the above areas, particularly Willoughby and Mayfield, should I check out? I'm looking for a single for around $600.

Any advice would be so much appreciated, I am feeling so overwhelemed! Thank you !!!

Last edited by amydonofrio; 05-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: forgot to put in price range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM

63 posts, read 230,725 times
Finding anything in the $600 range in those particular areas will be tough, unless you're not very particular. Cleveland Heights is probably the best place to find the other young professionals you're looking for, as Willoughby and most of Mayfield Heights is very suburban and geared toward families. Cleveland Heights/University Heights has Legacy Village and Beachwood Mall nearby also. The commute will probably be more than the 25 minutes you're looking for, as Cleveland Hts is not really that close to the highway.

Good luck and welcome to C-town

Old 05-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the advice!! Can you recommend any particular complexes in Cleveland Heights that would be the...closest??...to a highway? Again, thank you, this is very helpful!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
cleveland heights adds a good 15 or 20 minutes to the drive.... several apartments in mayfield should be close to your price ...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Yeah, there are a number of apartment complexes in Mayfield Heights that are probably in your price range and about 20-25 minute drive to Painesville. I'm thinking Gates Mills Towers (not actually in Gates Mills of course), CopperTree, and Marsol, all located around the SOM Center Rd./Mayfield Rd. intersection which is right by the freeway. There is a decent amount of retail/shopping/restaurants in that area, but the nightlife is very limited.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:18 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Look for duplexes for rent in downtown Willoughby. There are lots of cool old Victorians in that area that are split up.

If your gonna look at Mayfield might as well look at Mentor too since it's closer and nicer imo, but I think downtown Willoughby is what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Look for duplexes for rent in downtown Willoughby. There are lots of cool old Victorians in that area that are split up.

If your gonna look at Mayfield might as well look at Mentor too since it's closer and nicer imo, but I think downtown Willoughby is what you are looking for.

Good Luck!
Mentor and Mayfield Heights are about the same in my opinion. However other parts of the "Mayfield area" such as Highland Heights and Mayfield Village are much nicer than Mentor, in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:46 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Mentor and Mayfield Heights are about the same in my opinion. However other parts of the "Mayfield area" such as Highland Heights and Mayfield Village are much nicer than Mentor, in my opinion.
Well it also depends on which part of Mentor you are talking about. South Mentor Kirtland Hills and Concord are nicer than Highland Heights and Mayfield Village, imo .

Traffic on Mayfield road is terrible and always under construction too. They are similar tho, but like I said Mentor is a lot closer to his job.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,214,161 times
I think downtown Willoughby or Cleveland Heights would be what you are looking for. If you decide on Cleveland Heights, get something around Cedar/Fairmount or Coventry (western edge) so you can go up MLK to I-90. That'll give you about a 30 minute drive to Harvey. Downtown Willoughby will be much closer, but may be more expensive and not have as many choices. You will find many more people your age (and a lot more to do) in Cleveland Heights, but downtown Willoughby isn't too bad. Basically, you'll probably have to choose between a fun place that may have some cheaper options but a longer commute and a decent little suburban downtown area with much less options but a much shorter commute (probably no more than 15 minutes from downtown Willoughby).

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks to all three of you, very, very helpful. I guess my big concern is moving into an apartment complex that is primarily families or older people....just because I am starting from scratch as far as friends go .

If I were to choose the farther options, Cleveland Heights or Mayfield, do you think the snow is going to be a big problem? During the winter what length of a commute do you think I would have?

Also, do you know of any complexes in Downtown Willoughby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland