Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times

Advertisements

Well, you would be wrong (other than the fact that they're all in the north and on a lake).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, you would be wrong (other than the fact that they're all in the north and on a lake).
Based on what? And what makes us have more in common with Pittsburgh than those cities?

This is all subjective, which is why your certain statement of me being wrong is so ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
It's a bit laughable that you're classifying my statement as ridiculous when you've offered not one shred of similarity among any of them.

We really don't share a whole lot of similarity with Milwaukee, Buffalo, or Detroit (the closest of the three actually being Milwaukee). I've lived in two of them and visited the other extensively. The dynamics of each place are markedly different.

The reasons we share the most similarities with Pittsburgh are in terms of region, economic past, current economic paths, population density, population growth and decline, ethnicity, municipal/county government, educational institutions, arts, philanthropic attributes, etc. We share few of these attributes with the other places.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It's a bit laughable that you're classifying my statement as ridiculous when you've offered not one shred of similarity among any of them.

We really don't share a whole lot of similarity with Milwaukee, Buffalo, or Detroit (the closest of the three actually being Milwaukee). I've lived in two of them and visited the other extensively. The dynamics of each place are markedly different.

The reasons we share the most similarities with Pittsburgh are in terms of region, economic past, current economic paths, population density, population growth and decline, ethnicity, municipal/county government, educational institutions, arts, philanthropic attributes, etc. We share few of these attributes with the other places.
We share almost all of those attributes with Buffalo, Detroit, and Milwaukee.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM

102 posts, read 198,750 times
cleveland is more like Detroit than Pittsburgh in my opinion i have been to both.

PIttsburgh's topography is so much different...its cramped and the streets are narrow it almost reminds me of a small town on steroids, or like a european city. Hard to get around in.

Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago....these cities are more similar...Chicago is bigger, but almost everyone from Cleveland who goes to chicago feels comfortable because of these similarities.

And when I go to Detroit, i see alot of the same things, only i come back feeling much better about Cleveland..lol

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM

129 posts, read 346,371 times
Cleveland is one of the post-industrial* cities of the Great Lakes region, just like Buffalo, Erie, Detroit, and Chicago, along with many other smaller cities. (Never been to Milwaukee, but I hear it's much like the others I've mentioned.
Pittsburgh, while not on a lake, fits the post-industrial standard, too, and is more like Cleveland than Philadelphia or other Eastern cities.

*post-industrial: this term is used for cities whose economic infrastructure was decimated by the closing of large plants and factories. There may still be industry, but not at the earlier levels.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM

73 posts, read 171,816 times
Cleveland is a hybrid - a Great Lakes city on the border between the Midwest and the East. Buffalo is the most similar in my opinion among Great Lakes cities. I see less similarity as you go west to Detroit and especially as far as Chicago and Milwaukee, two Great Lakes cities positioned firmly within the Midwest. Pittsburgh culturally has many parallels to Cleveland (although not as much in terms of architecture or physical geography). Then there's the New England feel, especially on the east side, that sets it apart from other Great Lakes cities and that goes back to the Connecticut roots. Definitely a city with its own unique character - I wish more people from the area realized it.

Last edited by Na zdrowie; 11-28-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
the architecture on the eastside reminds me more of the east coast. and as kids we always said the super rich snobbs live in a few eastside suburbs , but that is it imo. euclid,willowick,garfield,maple bedford,richmond,mayfield,warrensville,etc,etc no differrent than west suburbs.. also, other than uc (in cleveland), the rest of the city is a mixed-bag of the good,the bad, and the ugly... in regards to the 55+ suburbs, i think only parma,lakewood,rocky river and bay village(west) and shaker hts,cleve hts,bratenahl and euclid (east) "stand out".

Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM

356 posts, read 833,987 times
I agree, Cleveland is similar to Buffalo and Pittsburgh especially. The Great Lakes Region has it's own identity, however. Being from Erie, PA and having spent 4 yrs in Cleveland, I feel Cleveland and Buffalo are a lot more like Erie than Pittsburgh is. So, out of all of them, I have to go with Buffalo as the most like Cleveland.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM

102 posts, read 198,750 times
i dont find cleveland and pittsburgh to be anything alike aesthetically...the people are alot different too...we are so much more negative here. MUCH less pride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland