Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 04:24 AM

41 posts, read 58,926 times

Advertisements

I live in South FL but was thinking of moving to either another part of FL or Wilmington/Raleigh NC. I have a nerve condition that is impacted by weather. I know it gets humid and hot in the summer but it seems like not as bad or long as FL. How is overall weather in Wilmington or Raleigh? How is life and safety? Any specific areas to avoid? If you moved from another state are you happy with your choice? Work is not an issue since I am self employed from home. Thank you

Last edited by Vikki1; 12-31-2010 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,025 times
I love NC. I've lived in NY; CA; NV; UT; OR before coming here in 2005. I'm hoping to stay...if only I can find a job here (I realize that's not an issue for you). Raleigh is my favorite city in the state. If you're in FL, the humidity won't seem bad at all.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 AM

41 posts, read 58,926 times
Thank you. Is Cary in I think Raleigh area nice? I heard it is a safe area. When I have been looking up different cities many seem to have high crime. Like the Wilmington that is mentioned here a lot but the crime rates are high. I read to look at coastal areas for more mild climate. I'm also looking at South Carolina but not sure which area is overall better. I keep reading about bugs in both Carolinas is it as bad as in FL? Or with proper pest control it is ok
I hope 2011 brings you a new job.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
If humidity was an issue, I would not move to NC. It MIGHT not be as bad as FL, but heat and humidity can be pretty severe in July and August. Good Luck.

lln

Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki1 View Post
Thank you. Is Cary in I think Raleigh area nice? I heard it is a safe area. When I have been looking up different cities many seem to have high crime. Like the Wilmington that is mentioned here a lot but the crime rates are high. I read to look at coastal areas for more mild climate. I'm also looking at South Carolina but not sure which area is overall better. I keep reading about bugs in both Carolinas is it as bad as in FL? Or with proper pest control it is ok
You should direct questions about Cary to the Triangle forum.

Climate likely is milder RIGHT near the coast but really, the mountains are where to get away from the heat. The coastal plain of eastern NC can be baking hot and humid in the summer, even just a few miles inland. Unless you're right where you get a sea breeze, it's not "milder" and might even be hotter.

NC and SC do have bugs, which surprise many who move from the Northeast, but I think it's safe to say the critters aren't as bad as in Florida A lot of it depends on whether there is enough of a hard freeze during the winter to kill the larvae. Certainly there will be more hard freezes here than in FL!

If heat is a primary thing you're trying to get away from, you might check out Virginia, too, which is a lot like NC, has more "going on" on the coastal areas that's not tourist/vacation-centered (the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area is much bigger than anything in NC) and Va would be a few degrees cooler than NC. It would all come down to what factors other than weather and crime you are interested in.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 PM

134 posts, read 522,854 times
Vikki,
Wilmington, NC might be a better choice in terms of more favorable year round weather. I came from Florida too, and sometimes I miss the sunshine. NC is a great place though, and I miss Florida a lot but I also love the people here. North Carolians are just nice people.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM

25 posts, read 56,117 times
I am not originally from NC, but I do LOVE it here! NC has it all including the gorgeous mountains and the beach. People are so nice. It also has diversity, especially in Raleigh Durham area. Great weather. Never too cold in winters. Summers are great except maybe for August when it is pretty humid. (but nothing compared to Florida) Overall NC is amazing!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
NC has it all including the gorgeous mountains and the beach.
dreamygurl is right. And might I add.........And everything in between!
NC is a great place to live. I can't imagine someone not able to find a little slice of heaven for themselves within our borders.
Bill

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki1 View Post
I keep reading about bugs in both Carolinas is it as bad as in FL?
I live in Eastern Carolina and I've lived in south Florida. The bugs in south Florida were 100 times worse. The 2 most pesky bugs here are Fireants and Black Widows. There are no Palmetto bugs. The Fireants backed off a ton last year because of the colder than normal winter and this year's nearly record setting cold in December may have driven them way off. They generally had only adapted to the cold as far north as US 64 in NC. Above that line they were not frequently seen. Last year they didn't come on good until September. I'm hoping to only see a few mounds this year, if any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina