Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times

Advertisements

From my experience I would say Washington DC, Jersey, and Michigan. The British tourists also seem to have many a-holes. The French strike me as weird and arrogant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

101 posts, read 227,154 times
Your thread makes me think of a story from an uncle. A man moved was moving from Maine to NC and ask what kind of people live around here? My uncle ask what kind of people were in Maine, the man replied SOB's all of them. My uncle told him that is exactly what HE would find around NC.

Point being what you go looking for you will find, makes me wonder how you are treating these tourists when they meet you.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Rude's a subjective thing. If we're talking about Eastern NC and the one area that attracts tourism, Virginians are probably the most inconsiderate (and cause the most traffic accidents on the beach due to not paying attention to their surroundings). MD and PA tie for people complaining the most about how things aren't like they are back home. You can tell someone's from Ahia because they're kinda slow and don't have indoor voices, but they're not too mean-spirited. I think it's because for a lot of them it's the first time they've seen the ocean and it's a bit overwhelming. New Joisey... well they are who they are. Can't be helped.

None of them are as obnoxious as Florida snowbirds in the mountains though. About six years ago a lost, unfinished manuscript of Dante's Inferno was discovered in a private collection in Milan detailing a new, deeper level of Hell reserved for tourists from Florida.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Rude's a subjective thing. If we're talking about Eastern NC and the one area that attracts tourism, Virginians are probably the most inconsiderate (and cause the most traffic accidents on the beach due to not paying attention to their surroundings). MD and PA tie for people complaining the most about how things aren't like they are back home. You can tell someone's from Ahia because they're kinda slow and don't have indoor voices, but they're not too mean-spirited. I think it's because for a lot of them it's the first time they've seen the ocean and it's a bit overwhelming. New Joisey... well they are who they are. Can't be helped.

None of them are as obnoxious as Florida snowbirds in the mountains though. About six years ago a lost, unfinished manuscript of Dante's Inferno was discovered in a private collection in Milan detailing a new, deeper level of Hell reserved for tourists from Florida.
I agree with this. It may result from the volume of tourists from VA, when I lived in in NoVa I swear I saw more OBX stickers in a day than I see on cars in NC in an entire year. Also, it may be due to the type of Virginians that vacation in NC. I noticed most "normal" Virginians would either go to Ocean City, MD or Va Beach. The ones who vacationed in NC tended to be the alpha, conspicuous consumption type. They also seemed to carry a condescending attitude of North Carolina/North Carolinians being "quaint". Not in a malicious or even "not like back home" way, but in a we're visiting a resort in a third-world country way. A "this place is so great! The locals are nice and they even have indoor plumbing!"

I'm guessing "Ahia" is "Ohio". I read it initially as a place called Ahia before I said it out loud and realized what it was.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
the worst tourists are from the NYC metro area - Manhattan, Connecticut, Long Island, New Jersey,etc. Their lifestyles are just different. NY/NJ tags cutting me off in traffic used to aggravate me, now it makes me smile because it is so cliche.

Virginians come in the largest numbers, sometimes it feels like everyone living the state of Virginia is required to drive a 3-series BMW.

People from "Ahia" or Michigan, and central PA, don't seem so bad. I think of them as slow drivers who get confused easily, but they are polite to talk to, and I feel like they have more consideration in public than the norm in America. I've only had good experiences from people I've met from rural Michigan, for example.

I have had no problems with Europeans. To me it's interesting that British, French, German, Dutch, Russian, etc., people want to come visit.

Last edited by le roi; 03-26-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM

79 posts, read 318,531 times
New Jersey,no doubt......

Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
anyone with a virginia license plate instantly arouses my suspicious and caution LOL - most likely just cause we have so many visitors from there lol

as far as rude PEOPLE (aside from rude drivers)... hmmm jersey and michigan would probably be my choice.

but in general, i try to avoid talking to most people, and keep to myself...so i rarely get to see rudeness in action LOL

what I HAVE noticed is that quite often, its those who are 40-50ish that seem to be the most rude. you would think it would be younger kids. well, i would think it would be younger ones, anyways... lol

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,154 times
Why is it that there are so many people from Ohio down here? I noticed it a few years back when I was in the OBX and I still see it a lot in Wilmington.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Why is it that there are so many people from Ohio down here? I noticed it a few years back when I was in the OBX and I still see it a lot in Wilmington.

maybe they are trying to dispute the 'first in flight' claim??? LOL

Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Word of mouth. One family goes on vacation here and tells their relatives and neighbors, and they their relatives and neighbors, and so on and so on.

"Oh Mildred, it's such a cute place, you absolutely must go! Not all tacky and ugly like Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina