Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 20,796 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here work in the film industry? If so, would you be able to give me any info on what type of work is available in Wilmington? It seems as if there isn't any pre or post production work done in Wilmington. Is this correct?

I have seen the previous responses with the links to the North Carolina Film Office (www.ncfilm.com - North Carolina Film Office). Unfortunately, most of this website is geared towards companies looking to film in the state, permits, etc. I'm looking for info on the types of jobs available and a good grasp of how "big" the industry really is there. Am I out of luck unless I'm a gaffer? Are there any opportunities in development or writing in Wilmington?

I'm truly hoping there's another way besides living in awful L.A. Please tell me there's a way to do what you love for a living AND raise a family without pollution and outrageous home prices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
Have you been in touch with Screen Gems in Wilmington?
EUE Screen Gems Studios North Carolina

Have you looked into Charlotte? It has been a hot bed of activity for the NC film & advertising industry for decades

Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM

I had no idea about Charlotte, thanks! Would you say Charlotte has more going on than Wilmington, film-wise? Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM

249 posts, read 883,106 times
Default Screen Gems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenwriterInLA View Post
I had no idea about Charlotte, thanks! Would you say Charlotte has more going on than Wilmington, film-wise? Thanks again!
I have spoken to screen gems and they told me they do not hire anyone for the film work done in Wilmington. They only rent out their facilities to movie and tv productions who hire their own crew.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
"Over the past 29 years, more than 800 films and 15 television series and numerous documentaries and commercials have been made possible with the assistance of the North Carolina Film Office"
Try their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaFilmOffice

And yes-Screen Gems is basically a rental facility but the contacts are there. For example Fincannon & Associates have been doing film casting there for 30 years. These folks know everybody:
Fincannon & Associates, Inc.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Yeah Wilmington's more of a rental/backlot place. Shreveport, LA surprisingly enough is the major film industry location in the South.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Thank you all so much for your help and info! It has really helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina