Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:37 PM

32 posts, read 72,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroger View Post
Thank you goldenage1 and gbsef. Gbsef if you liked your realtor is it possible to provide her name? And I will look on those 2 sites you mentioned goldenage1.
Maroger - I sent you a PM on the realtor that we toured with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM

99 posts, read 243,460 times
Maroger,

Winding River Plantation is a wonderful place to live. As you know, there are many wonderful plantations in the area. When you find the right plantation for yourself, based on your own key critical list of criteria, you will know it.

Over 2.5 years we visited the area five times and spent time in a number of communities. However, we did a lot of investigatory work on the internet. For example; when you identify a community you might have an interest in you might use email to contact the management group to request a copy of the Reserve Study and the latest financials for the plantation. Or, call on the phone, conduct a mini phone interview and request the same info.

Suggestion, you can use the internet to help develop your short list of realtors based on an individuals back ground and presence on the internet. When you have your short list of two or three call each on the phone and conduct a screening interview. I used this process to find an excellent realtor, a senior person who as helped us very much.

We came down this past March, selected WRP as our community of choice, bought a building lot, selected a builder and a floor plan.

Our realtor found us a condo in WRP and we moved in in mid Sept. Our house will be ready in the Feb./March time frame.

We wanted to be near the beach but not to close. We wanted to be close to 17, just in case. Being half way between Wilmington and Myrtle beach was a plus. We did not want to be in a very large community but we did want a community large enough to support the amenities that WRP has, have you seen the beach house? We wanted to be reasonably close to shopping without bucking a lot of traffic, Shallote is an easy drive. I needed an established community garden, I harvest Kale and Collards every day. The boat house is a wonderful place.

Winding River Plantation is a wonderful place to live. I have a little sign I have carried and displayed in our home for years, it reads "Another Day in Paradise", it was the first item we moved into the condo at WRP.

Next time you are n the area, stop by and say Howdy.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 20,658 times
Yes. The Beach House on Holden Beach. Renters are given the same rights to amenities as owners. A problem especially at the Beach House.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Yes. The Beach House on Holden Beach. The Winding River HOA allows renters to have the same access to amenities as owners. Several of the houses in Seaside neighborhood on Holden are investment properties and rent to multiple families and groups. In the summer, especially, the beach house as well as the parking lot there is being used by renters.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 AM

300 posts, read 475,158 times
Quickly read an email "News from the Board". WRP is on very solid financial ground with a large surplus and reserve fund. (One should be careful when buying in a plantation that is under the control of the developer; JMHO). The Seaside Marina bulkhead on the ICW should be repaired by the end of December. The dredging of the River House marina should be starting in mid January. The board is working with the NCDOT to see if we can increase the size of the parking lot at the Beach House. The board is also working on increasing the size of the Coral.

WRP is very fortunate to have homeowners with excellent executive skills providing leadership at the plantation. This saves the homeowners a lot of money.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 23,263 times
Thank you S Rose for info about renting. So I should look on the WRP website for more info about renting at the Beach House? Or on a site like VRBO?

Mr. Purple 2 it is interesting to hear the WRP has such financial strength. I am anxious to get down to visit. We wanted to fly down the first weekend in December but the flights are expensive for just a couple of days. January might be iffy with the weather but maybe then. It could be interesting to see what it's like down there in the dead of winter.

We did live at Camp Lejeune back in the early 80's which we enjoyed. The weather was much better than here in the Philly area and we always thought we would like to come back to NC.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you S Rose for info about renting. So I should look on the WRP website for more info about renting at the Beach House? Or on a site like VRBO?

Mr. Purple 2 it is interesting to hear the WRP has such financial strength. I am anxious to get down to visit. We wanted to fly down the first weekend in December but the flights are expensive for just a couple of days. January might be iffy with the weather but maybe then. It could be interesting to see what it's like down there in the dead of winter.

We did live at Camp Lejeune back in the early 80's which we enjoyed. The weather was much better than here in the Philly area and we always thought we would like to come back to NC.

You might try to rent a condo at the Clearwater Place Condos near the Community Facility by the outdoor pool in WRP; if you don't want to stay at Holden Beach. These condos are across the street from the Country Club. The condos are small with two bedrooms and usually rent for about $100 per night with a cleaning fee. We stayed there while we closed on our house.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 PM

99 posts, read 243,460 times
Quote:

WRP is, IMHO, a great place to live. Great people, amenities & financials. We'll see ya when ya get here.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Glad to hear that you are a happy resident and that the Board at WR meets your expectations for a volunteer group. WR is indeed financially sound and promotes ideas for curb appeal to encourage resales. However, the Board also made it clear that they are unwilling to entertain any further discussion on the amenity use issue although many residents are at odds with renters having carte blanche to use amenities that were origianally designated as for property owner use only. So while the Board is touting their managerial skills, the original intent for the community as well as the concerns of owners is being taken off the table for resolution. I'm baffled that the Board would not want to plan with the knowledge that there is limited room for amenity expansion and yet allow the amenities to be used and wore out by exponentially more persons as renters than would be if for owners and owners guests only. WR would be the ideal place to live if it was the community that Blue Green developed and intended.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Rose View Post
Glad to hear that you are a happy resident and that the Board at WR meets your expectations for a volunteer group. WR is indeed financially sound and promotes ideas for curb appeal to encourage resales. However, the Board also made it clear that they are unwilling to entertain any further discussion on the amenity use issue although many residents are at odds with renters having carte blanche to use amenities that were origianally designated as for property owner use only. So while the Board is touting their managerial skills, the original intent for the community as well as the concerns of owners is being taken off the table for resolution. I'm baffled that the Board would not want to plan with the knowledge that there is limited room for amenity expansion and yet allow the amenities to be used and wore out by exponentially more persons as renters than would be if for owners and owners guests only. WR would be the ideal place to live if it was the community that Blue Green developed and intended.
My understanding; according to the minutes of the last several meetings, is that only one homeowner has complained about renters using the amenities. Have you tried to get your group of homeowners to attend the meeting to express your concerns? The board might not be able to address your question since it may not be enforceable? There are only a few condos near the pool/property owners building that may be rentals

I own a home in WRP, but I don't live there full time. I never had any problems with using the facilities, even on holidays. According to the minutes, WRP broad is trying to increase the parking spaces at the Beach House. I know this is a problem at the other plantations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina