Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 19,071 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Would anyone know which firms provide DSL Internet service in Greenville, NC? The local cable company (Suddenlink) seems to charge a pretty high fee for their cable Internet service and I am looking for an affordable alternative. Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

- Jose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
CenturyLink | Local Provider of High Speed Internet, Phone, Mobile & TV Services

Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM

46 posts, read 211,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseImmenez View Post
Hi folks,

Would anyone know which firms provide DSL Internet service in Greenville, NC? The local cable company (Suddenlink) seems to charge a pretty high fee for their cable Internet service and I am looking for an affordable alternative. Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

- Jose

FWIW, my experience is that Suddenlink's service is better than Centurylink's. The fastest Centurylink DSL available in Greenville is 3 MB. (When I had Centurylink my bandwidth speed rarely exceeded 2.2 MB when tested -- apparently DSL "detoriates" in speed the further you are away from a 'hub'-- at least that is what Centurylink Tech's told me).

After a number of years with Centurylink I switched to Suddenlink a year ago and have been pleased with their service. I am actually paying less for 10MB speed and my home phone service with Suddenlink than I was paying for 3MB service with Centurylink.

I guess the cost analysis may depend on what services you plan to purchase-- I don't pay for any TV (satellite or cable) so I don't pay any attention to the cost comparison between those two.

Good luck with whichever company you choose.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM

99 posts, read 268,000 times
I've got Suddenlink and they have been pretty good. I considered CenturyLink but you are required to get a phone line which adds at least $20/month to the price. They did have a PURE option which requires no phone line, but they wanted me to sign a contract and it was the same price as Suddenlink, but at a slower speed.

I wish Greenville had the Centurylink service similar to AT&T U-verse.

My Suddenlink bill is $56 per month and I have the 10MB service with basic local cable ($5).

Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Default thanks!

Thanks Foyle, mattawest and emelvee, this is very helpful information.

Looks like [unfortunately] the cable Internet option from Suddenlink might be the best option, even though it seems very pricey.

I currently live in Durham and I'm only paying Time Warner about $35 (including tax) per month for cable Internet service with 10mbs upload/1mbs download speed. Sounds like Suddenlink has a real lock on the market without much real competition.

Thanks again folks!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

13 posts, read 26,754 times
I work in IT here in Greenville, and there are two options other than dial-up or satellite-based internet. Those two options are Suddenlink (cable) or CenturyLink (DSL). Please note that DSL is inherently slower than cable, so that may be a factor in your decision also (consider Netflix or Hulu streaming, for example).

They both have a monopoly on their respective markets, and can charge outrageous amounts of money with very poor customer service. Sadly, it's just the way it is.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Derek!

I appreciate the info -- I also work in IT and that really is unfortunate. I need a reasonably quick connection for the work I do, so I guess I must bite the bullet and give Suddenlink a call.

Thanks so much for the help!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 PM

99 posts, read 268,000 times
Suddenlink has pretty good deals for new customers. The only problem is that the price increases after a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina