Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,726 times

Advertisements

As a 17 year old CHILD, I was wondering is it possible for me to move in with my grandparents in NC and attend a high school there? I'm from VA and let's be honest, I have to attend a attend one of the worst schools in the country at the moment. I would like to attend a somewhat normal high school, even if only for a few months. So if this is possible, are there any decent schools in the oh idk Dover area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyohwhyamIhere View Post
As a 17 year old CHILD, I was wondering is it possible for me to move in with my grandparents in NC and attend a high school there? I'm from VA and let's be honest, I have to attend a attend one of the worst schools in the country at the moment. I would like to attend a somewhat normal high school, even if only for a few months. So if this is possible, are there any decent schools in the oh idk Dover area?
Well, I think you should talk to your parent(s) or guardians. Of course you would have to get their permission, and your grandparents' permission, but there's no law that would prohibit you from living with your grandparents to attend school.

It looks like Dover is in the West Craven High School district, and that school gets a 6 out of 10 from Greatschools.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
mod note
thread relocated from North Carolina forum

Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Dover is a TINY (population 425), poor town with, I'm certain, nothing at all for a teenager to do.

Here is the City-Data page on Dover with some info. I presume that if your grandparents are there, you have been before and seen it, but you need to think (all presuming it is OK with your parents and granparents, of course, since you are still a minor) about what your day-to-day life would be there. You'd be the "new kid" among a lot of folks who've lived there and known each other their whole lives. You'd probably have to go into Kinston for any "teen activities", and Kinston ain't all that anymore. Most folks your age are getting out of these little towns as fast as they can't, not moving IN to them, but if you think your quality of life would be better, and it works out, maybe it would be an improvement.

Are you talking about moving in the middle of a school year? That will bring extra problems. And if you're looking at college, would you want to go to a VA or NC school? If you move to NC, you will probably lose in-state residency in Virginia, which could affect admissions and cost (though it would also positively affect the same for NC, once you had lived here a year).

Basically, you are still a minor and nobody can really "advise" you since your parents have the trump card on most aspects of your life right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina