Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times

Advertisements

Y'all do know there are other areas besides Kinston. This will speed up going to Jacksonville, and I use this route when I go to Wilmington. This will also connect to 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Y'all do know there are other areas besides Kinston. This will speed up going to Jacksonville, and I use this route when I go to Wilmington. This will also connect to 70.

yep, I beleive I mentioned that in my previous post, though since you seem to have missed it.....

Yes it will connect to 70...at Kinston. Any other point along 70 and this route is not optimal. Not to New Bern, not to Goldsboro, not to Smithfield. Yes it, would improve the time it takes to get to both Wilmington and Jacksonville from Greenville but there is not a large enough (or projected to be a large enough increase) in people travelling from Greenville to those locations to justify this bypass.

They'd be better served improving 43 or 13, even though that'd be way more expensive.

This thing seems to be the result of this formulas someone told me about elsewhere on the forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
^^Also to Macjr's response. I lived in Raleigh/Durham for years and the roads there are worst than Charlotte in places. It has to do with the funding equity formula:

NCDOT: Finance & Budget

The equity formula was created in 1989 by the General Assembly. It requires that State Transportation Improvement Program funds be distributed equitably among regions of the state. Monetary distribution is based 50 percent on the population of a region, 25 percent on the number of miles of intrastate highways left to complete in a region and the remaining 25 percent is distributed equally among the regions for the STIP. Urban loop, congestion mitigation and air quality funds, and competitive/discretionary federal grants are exempt from the formula.

North Carolina Construction News: NC lawmakers to look at allocation of road money

This formula adversely impacts the Raleigh/Durham area as well, at least the some of highways here have lights (when they work). The equity formula is outdated and needs serious modifications to accomodate growth in Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.

The gripes of unfairness echo in the state's other large cities. Wake County, which includes Raleigh, ranked 90th in per capita spending over the past decade and got 7.5 percent of the road funding for 9.6 percent of the population.

"Road projects need to be built for roads that are used a lot," said Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker. "Building four-lane roads where there are no people doesn't make sense."

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
I didn't see in the link where it said it would connect to US 70. Looks like it said it would only connect to NC 55. Which would make people traveling between Greenville and Jacksonville still have to drive through downtown Kinston.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:36 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,010 times
Not sure how long they have been looking at this. I do know that in W-S they have been looking at the northern Beltway so long. I am starting to question if it will happen in my life time and I am 45. By the time they build this thing. We might be driving cars like the Jetsons.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I didn't see in the link where it said it would connect to US 70. Looks like it said it would only connect to NC 55. Which would make people traveling between Greenville and Jacksonville still have to drive through downtown Kinston.
This project is 20-30+ years out. There is talk to create a northern 70 bypass around Kinston. It is apart of the "Super 70 corridor", which is to make a freeway basically from MHC to Raleigh. So this extension would run into this bypass.

SUPER70CORRIDOR.COM

Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
I would love to see a freeway between Greenville and New Bern.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would love to see a freeway between Greenville and New Bern.

yea, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of exit they put on US 70 that connects to 43. That's said, I'd much rather see 43 between Greenville and Vanceboro improved to four lanes. Actually bypass Vanceboro and just connect 43 to 17. As 17 continues it's improvement to four lane that'll be your freeway right there. That's a "feasibility study" I'd get behind.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
yea, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of exit they put on US 70 that connects to 43. That's said, I'd much rather see 43 between Greenville and Vanceboro improved to four lanes. Actually bypass Vanceboro and just connect 43 to 17. As 17 continues it's improvement to four lane that'll be your freeway right there. That's a "feasibility study" I'd get behind.
I agree. You could easily build a connector north of Vanceboro to connect 40 to 17. Near Mile Road, which is right near the 17 split there. Funnel all of that beach by-pass traffic through there.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 5,630 times
Sorry, I have to disagree with those of you who don't see the need for this. Given the fact that Kinston is such a dismal place to live, many of the folks who work at the plants in Kinston choose to live in Greenville for a better quality of life. That said, the downside is the commute down Highway 11. Yes, the speed limit is 60 miles an hour, but that becomes very dangerous when folks pull out from driveways and side roads and don't get up to speed, or slow down or stop because they are making a left turn. The good news is that compared to other cities we've lived (D.C. area, Chicago, Louisville, traffic here is non-existent...in spite of the moaning and groaning about Greenville and Arlington Blvds.) so that makes the daily commute a little more bearable -- that plus car pooling to cut down on gas and making the trip more enjoyable.

Creating a limited access highway to Kinston will create a safer route and will only enhance the growth of the region. Now is the time to plan for down the road (pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina