Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

My family (husband and 3 kids and myself) will be relocating to Wilmington in 9 days...and I am scared. We've rented a home in the "Broken Tree" area (New Hanover County) so I'm wondering if this is a decent area compared to where I live now (Whitehall, Ohio-smaller community within Columbus, Ohio) Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time to look for a place due to health issues...so ANY info will be appreciated!

My oldest son is Bi-racial and from what I've heard, there isn't a lot of diversity. I'm really freaking out over my child's well being and ability to attend school without being picked on and teased because of his "color". PLEASE, someone out there tell me I'm wrong and that my kid is going to be just fine! I've also heard that Ohioans aren't all that "welcome". I REALLY hope what I've heard/read is wrong. I'm looking at this as a chance to start over, to give my kids a better life, as we are moving because the bullying in the school district is getting out of hand quickly and my husband has family in NC.

Regardless, we're moving and I'm holding out hope that the area is nice and that my kids can at least play outside without fear! (Where I am now, I can't allow them to go outside to "play"...too much BS and Drama!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
You might find these threads helpful:

least humid place with diversity
Interracial Couple considering N.C.

Regarding being picked on: kids will be kids, and will find excuses to pick on the new kid. Learning how to deal with that is part of growing up. As one of the above threads points out, the South today isn't the South of the 1950s. And I'll point out that some of the worst racists I've known have been in New England cities and the Chicago area.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Thank you for the information! At least SOMEONE answered my post As far as the WORST racists go, I'm originally from Pike County Kentucky, and I have seen my fair share of them...even in Columbus, Ohio! I've been here for 16 years and I am beyond over it. We took the advice we read in some of the threads and my husband has a job lined up (Thank God!) a few days after we arrive. There are so many pluses to moving there like the weather, the ocean, a more laid back kind of attitude...yet I can't help but wonder if there is some truth to the bad things people are saying about Wilmington. I'm not worried about my husband or myself, just my 3 kids who know nothing but life in Columbus. We don't attend church ( though I was raised Old Regular Baptist) and we make it a point to keep to ourselves...perhaps this won't be an issue since most people say that the majority of folks in Wilmington like their privacy. Again, I really appreciate your response and found it helpful

Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I'm looking at a number of locations in VA, NC, and SC for a possible relocation in a few years ... Wilmington's one of them. There are probably negative things in these forums about every town in the U.S. so you have to take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Some people have a personal axe to grind, some are trying to stir up trouble/controversy, some just have sour dispositions.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 20,955 times
Smile Don't stress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefRocketSkates33 View Post
My family (husband and 3 kids and myself) will be relocating to Wilmington in 9 days...and I am scared. We've rented a home in the "Broken Tree" area (New Hanover County) so I'm wondering if this is a decent area compared to where I live now (Whitehall, Ohio-smaller community within Columbus, Ohio) Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time to look for a place due to health issues...so ANY info will be appreciated!

My oldest son is Bi-racial and from what I've heard, there isn't a lot of diversity. I'm really freaking out over my child's well being and ability to attend school without being picked on and teased because of his "color". PLEASE, someone out there tell me I'm wrong and that my kid is going to be just fine! I've also heard that Ohioans aren't all that "welcome". I REALLY hope what I've heard/read is wrong. I'm looking at this as a chance to start over, to give my kids a better life, as we are moving because the bullying in the school district is getting out of hand quickly and my husband has family in NC.

Regardless, we're moving and I'm holding out hope that the area is nice and that my kids can at least play outside without fear! (Where I am now, I can't allow them to go outside to "play"...too much BS and Drama!)
Please don't stress about some of the negative things you read or hear in these forums. I also had read many of these forums before moving to Wilmington (Carolina Beach) area with my 2 young children. I love living here and am ready to resign another years lease. My 2 little one's are half hispanic and I was truly worried about moving here because of some of the racists remarks I had seen but since we have been here (1 yr. now) my children have been treated very well and no differently than the other children that are native to the area. They both love living here and do not want to move back to Va. As far as worrying because you're afraid you will not be welcome here because you are from Ohio that's bull. Most of the people I have met here have accents that 100 percent are not southern but mostly northern. I haven't heard anyone say that they have not been welcome because they aren't natives of N.C. There may be a few people here that have that redneck mentality but in the year that the kids and myself have lived here I have not run in to anyone like that. Our neighbors have been great and welcomed us with open arms. Honestly I could not have asked for better neighbors and most are like family. I have no family of my own here and when most in my neighborhood found this out they stepped in as surrogates. I had some of the reservations as you did before I moved because I had heard and/or read some of the same things you have but as I said (so far) I haven't experienced any of it. I am not familiar with the area you are moving to but I am sure you will meet some really good people. Southern hospitality is still alive and well here in New Hanover County N.C. Best of luck on your move and best of wishes on starting your new life here. P.S. as far as the schools go I don't know much about them because I home school (unschool) my children.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,508 times
You will have absolutely nothing to worry about with a biracial child. There is plenty of diversity here and a lot of mixed families. I have several friends with biracial children and they don't have any more race related issues than anyone else.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Broken Tree area - I have never heard of it. What zip code is it in? What is it near? Do you know what schools your kids will be in?

Being from Ohio is not going to be a problem. There are plenty of people here from Ohio. As a matter of fact I moved here from Ohio in the early 90's (Toledo area). I have never felt unwelcome. I love it here so much more than Ohio. Also the bullying will hopefully be less of a problem here. One of the reasons I hated Ohio is people would start a fight just to start one. I hated high school there. I moved here in high school and the atmosphere was so much different! People here were much more friendly.

Give it a chance! And let us know how things go. :-)

Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Okay, so...we've been here since the 13th and we LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I'm going to have to call BS on most of the crap I heard/read. We've had no issues...NONE-with any of the locals or kids at school. Moving here was the best choice I could have made for my children, as they are very happy here. I have one complaint though...WTF is with these giant spiders!? Seriously, they are as big as my hand and they are just plain scary! Other than the spiders, I really like it here. People are friendly and polite, if I wave they wave back! Totally not used to this! It's beyond beautiful here. I can't get over how great the weather has been...it's like paradise! Thank you to all of you who provided helpful information...I really do appreciate it!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
welcome to wilmington!!

so happy for you that things are better than expected, this is indeed
a great "little" town.
when you can do come back to city data and see if you can
help other people considering a move.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Just leave your OSU flag at home. We hate that stuff down here. Otherwise, you and family will be fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 AM

29 posts, read 102,579 times
^^I beg to differ. I know plenty of OSU fans here.

Also, it's only november when you moved here: wait till summer gets around and the trees are brought back up to life.

I was a filipino kid and I went here from 5th grade to high school. I lived in a neighborhood with white, black, indian, chinese, middle-eastern, russian, and greek kids. Your kids will be fine.

I can't help you with the spiders, but if I see big spiders around the house, I just think of them as pre-emptive fly swaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina