Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM

24 posts, read 106,082 times

Advertisements

My husband was relocated to Wilmington from PA. He works for a pharmacutical company and the company only provides about 2 weeks to find a place and get situated. We are flying down next week to look around the area, but I have been doing a lot of research online. We would like to rent for one year before buying a house, but a lot of what I've read about the crime has scared me. We are a young couple with 2 babies, and would like to live close to the beaches, shops, river, etc., but in a safe place.

Any suggestions?

The one apartment I have on hold to look at when we visit is a new complex called Avalon apartments. They are located on Guinevere Lane just off Market Street at Darlington Avenue. How is this area?

Any and all advice will be greatly, greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Leland?

We have also found a lot of houses for rent in Leland that are cute for the price. How is the area of Leland??

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
I LOVE Leland. I am off Hwy 133 heading toward Southport. I actually live in Belville but it shares a Leland zip code.

Now, with that said, the 74/76 bridge that crosses the Cape Fear River can be a major headache at rush hour and even at other times (they are working on it and end up closing one lane of the bridge) so I typically plan an hour to get into the city for a trip that should only take 10-15 mins. That gives me time to get there and not pull my hair out. If I plan ahead, I'm usually fin and it takes something like 30 mins...if I don't, something will usually go wrong, LOL.

You CAN do lots of your shopping on the Leland side but I still like going into Wilmington.

In fact there is a house for rent right next door to me. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks Liz! About how long does it take to get to the beaches from Leland on a good day- lol? And I'm assuming Leland has the same access to the Waterway as Wilmington? Is the crime any better since it is more on the outskirts of Wilmington?

Also can you recommend me to a rental company?

I really don't know much of anything about the area except what I've read/seen on the internet. I hope to get a better idea when we visit.

Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Well, since I haven't ACTUALLY made it to the beach YET, LOL I can't answer that question.

I will have to go outside and look at the sign in the yard next door for the info on that one and PM you later.

As far as crime, Belville has ONE registered sex offender and he isn't near us. Now, the crime index is high but it is Leland and Belville together: http://www.city-data.com/city/Leland...-Carolina.html And most of it is non violent in that it is Burglaries/Thefts. If I have o have crime, give me the non violent over the violent kind any day of the week. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 02:13 PM

69 posts, read 454,012 times
When I was just recently looking into renting as well some of the rental companys that I looked at were....Wilmington Realty North Carolina Rentals, wilmington.craigslist.com, Century 21 Sweyer has alot of listings, and also the newspaper Wilmington Star was helpful too. The historic districts website was a place to get numbers but its not updated with new info...Historic Wilmington Foundation. I hope that helps a bit.

I just rented a 2 bedroom apt. that is a couple years old in the development called The Park at Three Oaks. Its North on Market St. almost to Ogden. Really close to the beaches and about 10 miles from downtown Wilmington. Their website is The Park at Three Oaks in WILMINGTON, NC. - ApartmentFinder.com. I am moving there in a few weeks and am pretty excited so I hope you and your family can find something that you like.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM

122 posts, read 482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyneck143 View Post
My husband was relocated to Wilmington from PA. He works for a pharmacutical company and the company only provides about 2 weeks to find a place and get situated. We are flying down next week to look around the area, but I have been doing a lot of research online. We would like to rent for one year before buying a house, but a lot of what I've read about the crime has scared me. We are a young couple with 2 babies, and would like to live close to the beaches, shops, river, etc., but in a safe place.

Any suggestions?

The one apartment I have on hold to look at when we visit is a new complex called Avalon apartments. They are located on Guinevere Lane just off Market Street at Darlington Avenue. How is this area?

Any and all advice will be greatly, greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
Be sure to read the ratings on aptratings.com and rent.com. Both sites give good info. Avalon will be fine. Most crime is concentrated in the urban core of the city (just like in other cities). Darlington is an evolving area, with new construction going on. You will be fine. Bryant Real Estate and Wilmington Realty do a lot of rentals here as well. You can google them.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Thank you everyone for all the tips!

This may be a silly question, but on a lot of the rentals I am finding FROG is listed as a feature. I'm not sure what this means... anyone want to help me out? Haha.

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 AM

FROG: Finished Room Over Garage. I had to ask too, LOL. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM

Ooohh. That makes sense. And what a great feature!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina