Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 33,768 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Wilmington at the end of 2013-2014 school year. My daughter will be 15 years old and currently in self-contained classroom in public school in Fayetteville, NC. She has autism on the low end of the spectrum, solely based on her inability to communicate. She is non-verbal, doesn't sign etc. I'm hoping there are people somewhere in schools that push their students rather than "babysit" but that is a rare find these days.

I'm curious to know if there are a good amount of resources for special needs children in the area? I have done some research and I already see they have an Autism Society chapter in the area, we haven't had much luck with the one here in Fayetteville. Also if there are any day camps dedicated to special needs that last more than just a few hours a day during the summer months.

Also what areas in and around Wilmington are good, or rather which areas should be stay away from? Our budget for renting will probably be about $1000 to $1,200 but that could change. Don't need to have anything fancy but hoping for a decent sized home for 2 adults, a child, and 3 dogs. I'm not opposed to townhouses, condos, but would prefer a small house to start.

Any advice would be appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellynnjo View Post
I have done some research and I already see they have an Autism Society chapter in the area, we haven't had much luck with the one here in Fayetteville.......Any advice would be appreciative.
There are three counties close to Wilmington, and three different schools systems: Pender, New Hanover and Brunswick Counties. Onslow is further away, but a possibility. I sent you a DM with a contact in Brunswick. I see the Autism Society Chapter is called Pender County Chapter, but it has an address in Wilmington. Link is here: Page Title

I suspect one of those folks can give you the best advice about schools.

As far as housing goes, your budget is probably adequate for a small house. However, three dogs may be a difficulty. I would check Craiglist for "dog-friendly" rentals. I have seen one out in Onslow County, but i am not sure how good Onslow is with special needs students.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Interesting you bring this thread back up...this article was in the paper the other day regarding the OASIS Center...

OASIS Center for autistic children expanding | StarNewsOnline.com

It looks like the resources for autism in the Wilmington area continue to grow...a private school would be invaluable for some folks...I also know some folks that have used the UCP Center on Military Cutoff Rd for special needs children and highly recommend it...

Wilmington Children's Center | Developmental Day Preschool Services | Easter Seal UCP Children's Centers

Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Default Good Info

I have a read a bit about Oasis. I might give them a call. Appreciate the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Interesting you bring this thread back up...this article was in the paper the other day regarding the OASIS Center...

OASIS Center for autistic children expanding | StarNewsOnline.com

It looks like the resources for autism in the Wilmington area continue to grow...a private school would be invaluable for some folks...I also know some folks that have used the UCP Center on Military Cutoff Rd for special needs children and highly recommend it...

Wilmington Children's Center | Developmental Day Preschool Services | Easter Seal UCP Children's Centers

Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
I have to apologize...there was a thread on here about autism in Wilmington a few months back...I thought it was a continuation...here it is....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...n-coastal.html

I posted some info on "surfers healing"...

Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM

No problem. That program sounds great. Not sure my daughter would be a good fit with it though. She is on the low end of the spectrum. She has no communication other than a few words/noises. Academically she is not at her grade level. I believe this all to be because of the communication barrier.

Many of the services I've noticed are targeted for high-functioning autism. If only that were the case.

Thanks for the info though, hopefully I can pass it on to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I have to apologize...there was a thread on here about autism in Wilmington a few months back...I thought it was a continuation...here it is....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...n-coastal.html

I posted some info on "surfers healing"...

Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM

21 posts, read 48,723 times
I am a member of a Mother's club that has a terrific online forum. It is free to join, I think you should check that out and post your question there. They even have a Special Needs section and quite a few women post there and are dealing with varying issues. The only big difference that I can see is that their children are younger, but there are women with older children on the forum and one is a professor at UNCW and she always provides valuable information on education in the area. I know there are a few schools that provide a program, but I am not sure of the specifics. Check this out and see if someone there can help:
WilmingtonMommies.com

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM

21 posts, read 48,723 times
Here is the link directly to the forum, but I am not sure how it looks as a "Guest".

WilmingtonMommies :: Index

Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oats View Post
I am a member of a Mother's club that has a terrific online forum. It is free to join, I think you should check that out and post your question there. They even have a Special Needs section and quite a few women post there and are dealing with varying issues. The only big difference that I can see is that their children are younger, but there are women with older children on the forum and one is a professor at UNCW and she always provides valuable information on education in the area. I know there are a few schools that provide a program, but I am not sure of the specifics. Check this out and see if someone there can help:
WilmingtonMommies.com

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 27,137 times
Default Renting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellynnjo View Post

Also what areas in and around Wilmington are good, or rather which areas should be stay away from? Our budget for renting will probably be about $1000 to $1,200 but that could change. Don't need to have anything fancy but hoping for a decent sized home for 2 adults, a child, and 3 dogs. I'm not opposed to townhouses, condos, but would prefer a small house to start.

With a budget like that, you shouldn't have any problem finding a very nice house to rent. You could possibly find a nice historic home on the safer side of downtown. (the safer side being the south side from Market st. 2nd St is particularly pretty and I saw a few for rent signs on the houses recently) Or you could look in either Castle Hayne or Sunset park.

This is a very dog friendly city, so having animals shouldn't be a problem.

Craigslist apartments have treated me much better than any of the realty companies. (I've lived downtown for seven years) Network Realty in particular was horrible. The office workers were rude and took their time fixing things at the last apartment I lived in. At one point I had no running water and it took two days for them to do anything about it. No reinbursment. And had to kiss my deposit goodbye because they billed me for things that were wrong with the apartment when I moved in! They are simply crooked.

I would stay away from the North side of downtown. Once you get past Red Cross St and head into Little Brooklyn, things get a little ghetto. (ghetto: blasting rap music, loitering, looking to intimidate)

The population in Wilmington practically doubles during the summer time from all the tourists- traffic can get pretty bad. So finding a home close to where you work would be ideal.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina