Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 76,460 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Elizabeth City area this month to work at the Coast Guard Base. I don't know a whole lot about the area other than what I could find on the internet like the chamber of commerce etc.
Where are the safest and nicer areas to live within a 30 minute commute to the base?
Any area info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:58 AM

144 posts, read 679,865 times
Hello Will,
Camden County is a fairly nice area near E.C. It is a little bit rural but has a good school district and some pretty nice neighborhoods. Currituck County is also nice and you would be you could be 15 to 45 mins from the beach if you like the beach. Moyock is a very nice town to live in but I am prejudice since I live there. Moyock is kind of expensive for the area though. Camden is cheaper and nice. Pasquotank county (where E.C. is) has some nicer areas if you stay away from the inner part of E.C. North of the city is nice in some areas but more rural the western side of E.C. from Rt. 17 is a little nicer than the Eastern side unless you like old victorian style homes. There are some beautiful ones in the city part of E.C. They are old and many in need of restoration, but how they are beautiful.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Hello Will,
Camden County is a fairly nice area near E.C. It is a little bit rural but has a good school district and some pretty nice neighborhoods. Currituck County is also nice and you would be you could be 15 to 45 mins from the beach if you like the beach. Moyock is a very nice town to live in but I am prejudice since I live there. Moyock is kind of expensive for the area though. Camden is cheaper and nice. Pasquotank county (where E.C. is) has some nicer areas if you stay away from the inner part of E.C. North of the city is nice in some areas but more rural the western side of E.C. from Rt. 17 is a little nicer than the Eastern side unless you like old victorian style homes. There are some beautiful ones in the city part of E.C. They are old and many in need of restoration, but how they are beautiful.
Ebediel,

my dh and i are considering Moyock as one of the locations to move to. can you tell me a little about the town? hubby's company has a location in hampton, va that he might be able to transfer to. we really, really want to live in NC not VA but i'm concerned about the commute for him. he typically leaves the house around 5:45/6:00 a.m. can you tell me about the commute? Also, because I can't really find anything on Moyock, does the town have it's own grocery store, medical center, shopping (clothing, home decorations type of shopping), gym, etc? do you know anything about the costs for a boat slip at one of the local marinas? Lastly, granted while I know it's extremely premature of me there's a wonderful house on tulls creek road that i've been watching (it's a farmhouse). can you tell me anything about this particulare section? is tulls creek road a very busy road?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 PM

hey surfer
Moyock is about 1 hour in good traffic from hampton VA. Although the traffic around Norfolk is often bad so a one hour commute could easily turn into a 1.5 hour to a 3 hour commute maybe half a dozen times a year. Moyock has a Food Lion--small but adequate. There are no clothing stores that I know of but Moyock is growing fast (except a small thrift store). There are a few restaurants nothing too fancy yet but a BK and Sonic, Hardee's, Mexican, Chinese, Subway, Dominos, Java Junction (a sandwich soup shop), Southland, and DQ. There is a couple of auto part stores, a paint store, dog grooming and a couple of hair salons. Not much else although most of us go to Chesapeake, VA which is about 20 mins north of here and hit the mall or other grocery stores, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc (has a small mall called Greenbriar Mall 150 stores approx.).
There are not any marinas that I know of except one that has a boat ramp. I don't know that they allow boats to rent slips. The sound here is suited to fishing boats and small speed boats, but not sailboats or large cruisers. The closest for those is Elizabeth City which is about 30 mins west of here.
Some of the boat owners in Moyock live in Tulls Bay where they have dredged out some canals and allow people to tie-up boats in their backyards. The creek has an abundant water moccasin/copperhead population though.
Tulls creek road is a small country road that is busy and everyone feels the need to drive at 70mph. It is getting a little better and a lot of work is being done on it.
I love the pace here and the school system is fairly good although a lot of people will argue with me on that. I graduated 2 kids and one is in middle school and I have very few complaints. There is not a lot for kids to do though.
Lest it sound like I hate it here let me say that I love Moyock. I love the people and the area. There are many nice neighborhoods and a couple of neighborhoods that are more for doublewides and singlewide trailers. Moyock is a bedroom community for Norfolk and VABeach and the property is quite expensive by most standards although if you are coming from a city you may find it less expensive than the city. Sorry for the long post.
Have a great day.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Also forgot to mention we are only about 30 mins. from downtown Norfolk. Which also opens a lot of other possibilities.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
hey surfer
Moyock is about 1 hour in good traffic from hampton VA. Although the traffic around Norfolk is often bad so a one hour commute could easily turn into a 1.5 hour to a 3 hour commute maybe half a dozen times a year. Moyock has a Food Lion--small but adequate. There are no clothing stores that I know of but Moyock is growing fast (except a small thrift store). There are a few restaurants nothing too fancy yet but a BK and Sonic, Hardee's, Mexican, Chinese, Subway, Dominos, Java Junction (a sandwich soup shop), Southland, and DQ. There is a couple of auto part stores, a paint store, dog grooming and a couple of hair salons. Not much else although most of us go to Chesapeake, VA which is about 20 mins north of here and hit the mall or other grocery stores, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc (has a small mall called Greenbriar Mall 150 stores approx.).
There are not any marinas that I know of except one that has a boat ramp. I don't know that they allow boats to rent slips. The sound here is suited to fishing boats and small speed boats, but not sailboats or large cruisers. The closest for those is Elizabeth City which is about 30 mins west of here.
Some of the boat owners in Moyock live in Tulls Bay where they have dredged out some canals and allow people to tie-up boats in their backyards. The creek has an abundant water moccasin/copperhead population though.
Tulls creek road is a small country road that is busy and everyone feels the need to drive at 70mph. It is getting a little better and a lot of work is being done on it.
I love the pace here and the school system is fairly good although a lot of people will argue with me on that. I graduated 2 kids and one is in middle school and I have very few complaints. There is not a lot for kids to do though.
Lest it sound like I hate it here let me say that I love Moyock. I love the people and the area. There are many nice neighborhoods and a couple of neighborhoods that are more for doublewides and singlewide trailers. Moyock is a bedroom community for Norfolk and VABeach and the property is quite expensive by most standards although if you are coming from a city you may find it less expensive than the city. Sorry for the long post.
Have a great day.
COPPERHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I hate, hate, hate snakes. mmm...... so those houses I see for sale that have docks also have bad you know snakes. okay so i think i'll stay away from those properties.

an hour commute. i have to let my dh know about that. right now his commute is a little over 30 minutes and because of the times he works he doesn't see a lot of traffic. The hour drive wouldn't bother him but the traffic might. Even though he may have an opportunity to transfer, he's still looking for a job (actually he sent his resume in to blackstone which i understand is in Moyock, now that would be AWESOME). As for tull creek road it sounds like it might not be the "right" road for us to live on. I prefer side roads and i have 2 precious dogs that i would worry about (on a rare occassion they have escaped our yard).

Moyock actually has more food places than the town I live in now. I only have a subway, a few coffee shops, chinese restaurant and a bbq type place (they try but they're not that great but ya can't expect ENC bbq in MA). 20 minutes isn't long at all. my mall (well not mine personally, he, he, he...) similar in size to your mall is roughly 25/30 minutes from me.

We don't have children so schools or kids stuff are not an issue for us but I like that you have a dog groomer. My dh is obsessed with fishing (no sailboats for us). we used to have a center console fishing boat but sold it but i know dh wants to get another boat when we finally move (he's thinking of leaving near cape hattares).

All in all it sounds like Moyock might be similar to my small town here in MA which is what I'm looking for. Home prices are a tad higher than we were hoping to pay but they're still lower than what you get in MA. This is all very incouraging information. thank you so very much.

sorry for the equally long post (i'm long winded).

Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 AM

Hey Surfing,
Yes, we have copperheads but I've been here ten years and haven't seen one yet. I have seen a water moccasin though on the water. Of course snakes don't bother me that much. We also have otters, big white cranes, snow geese, white-tailed deer, black bears, coyotes, foxes, bobcats and red-winged blackbirds by the thousands and their beauty far outweigh the snakes.
The company you mentioned is Blackwater. I have worked out there on occasion but you almost got to know someone to get in. It is the biggest employer in Currituck County. It's very nice and big, big, big. I'm not someone though out there--I'm a nobody.
If your husband wants to fish; Moyock is the place. Besides the sound that is very easily accessible throughout Moyock there is also the OBX which we are about 45 mins from you can also go to Oregon inlet and go out deep sea fishing which is a big draw. That is about a 1 1/2 hour drive.
Southland is a great BBQ place if you like Carolina BBQ. A lot of people love it but some do not. For me personally--it's the best.
There are lots of businesses in Norfolk and VABeach that are 30 to 45 mins away respectively. We are also near Northwest Marine Base which is another good size employer.
We have a couple from our Church that are from MA. They seem to like it here but there is always the redneck contingency to deal with. For some this is some of the worst part, but it doesn't really bother me to much I've found most of the people to be very nice, very kind, and very friendly. I can't really say too much about the rednecks though because to most I probably are one.
Have a great day. I must be chatty also.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Hey Surfing,
Yes, we have copperheads but I've been here ten years and haven't seen one yet. I have seen a water moccasin though on the water. Of course snakes don't bother me that much. We also have otters, big white cranes, snow geese, white-tailed deer, black bears, coyotes, foxes, bobcats and red-winged blackbirds by the thousands and their beauty far outweigh the snakes.
The company you mentioned is Blackwater. I have worked out there on occasion but you almost got to know someone to get in. It is the biggest employer in Currituck County. It's very nice and big, big, big. I'm not someone though out there--I'm a nobody.
If your husband wants to fish; Moyock is the place. Besides the sound that is very easily accessible throughout Moyock there is also the OBX which we are about 45 mins from you can also go to Oregon inlet and go out deep sea fishing which is a big draw. That is about a 1 1/2 hour drive.
Southland is a great BBQ place if you like Carolina BBQ. A lot of people love it but some do not. For me personally--it's the best.
There are lots of businesses in Norfolk and VABeach that are 30 to 45 mins away respectively. We are also near Northwest Marine Base which is another good size employer.
We have a couple from our Church that are from MA. They seem to like it here but there is always the redneck contingency to deal with. For some this is some of the worst part, but it doesn't really bother me to much I've found most of the people to be very nice, very kind, and very friendly. I can't really say too much about the rednecks though because to most I probably are one.
Have a great day. I must be chatty also.
Snakes and bees are my biggest fear. dh asked me last night if you mentioned killer bees in your area (I nearly fainted) but i think (I HOPE) he was joking. He also mentioned keeping a boat in Oregon Inlet because it's the closest to the gulf stream. As for the other wild animals, oh boy I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see them. I've seen wild deer, geese, fox and cranes before but I've only ever seen the other animals at a zoo.

I hope it's not an issue that we're not big church goers. Rednecks are not an issue for us. there's some country song about rednecks that dh loves. when it comes on the radio he always says oh i wish i was a redneck and i hope when we move south i'm not called a yankee cause i want to be a redneck. he's silly crazy like that. he keeps asking me if i'll go to a country barn party when we move. are there any places to go and listen to country music (new country music not the older stuff)?

Carolina bbq is vinegar based right? when we last visited we purchased a bottle of sauce from smithfields and dh has been recreating it ever since we ran out.

i'm going to check out the marine base for hubby. thanks again.

OP i'm sorry! I hijacked your post.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 76,460 times
Thanks for the info Ebediel. Moyock is a bit farther than I want to be from work. You say to shy away from the center of EC. Do they have some problems in that city?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 AM

Sorry Will for missing your post. I was out of town for the weekend.

EC is a beautiful old town with many victorian style homes in the center of town. But there is a very poor neighborhood that surrounds it. Very low income, crime, and drugs. Probably not as much as larger cities like Norfolk or even Greenville, NC but where it is bad it is fairly severe. I have friends that live in the center of town in an old home and they love it there but just 3 minutes from their house is fairly rough conditions. Over all I like EC but I probably would not want to raise children there. There are some sections of town that are very pretty and historic. EC is growing but not in the center on the outskirts. There it is nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina