Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 48,652 times

Advertisements

My husband has got landed a job in Portsmouth. We currently live in Raleigh but need to move closer to VA. We would like to stay in NC if possible. Moyock sounds like a good option with good schools, safe area etc... What I would like to know is - how bad would the commute be with traffic. Also how rural is Moyock? Is there shopping, hospitals close by (we have two small children). Also is this area in a flood plain? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM

144 posts, read 680,230 times
Congratulations.
I've lived in Moyock for almost 10 years and I love it here. It is becoming less and less rural all the time. The census from 2000 says there's only 6K here but I believe the figure is probably closer to 10K now. We have a Food Lion, Burger King, Hardee's, Sonic, Advanced Auto, Chinese and Mexican Rest., Paint store, hardware store, Dollar Tree and Dollar General, Carquest, fitness warehouse, dance studio, and several other small shops.
Flood plain? To be honest I don't really know but if you look on a map you will find Moyock listed as swamp land. Having said that let me say I've been here through 4 hurricanes and half a dozen or more severe Nor-easters and besides a little minor flooding we've seen nothing significant. Except some of those houses directly on the sound.
There are several nice Churches in the area and most of the people are quite friendly. Many of the people are "come-heres" (as I am) and a lot of military.
We are within 30 minutes of 2 hospitals one in E.C., NC and one in Chesapeake, VA. Depending on your insurance you will probably want to go to the one in VA. if you can. We are also about 45 mins. from CHKD, in Norfolk, which is an excellent children's hospital.
People are friendly here but Moyock suffers from an identity crisis. We have no real town or center of town. The county government looks out for the county over the town and Moyock has very little community. There's really no place to draw the town's people together around so it is a small town made up of smaller housing communities. Some are nice and some are not as nice although all are fairly decent.
There are some who make the commute to Portsmouth, as my son did for 6 months. He could make it in 45mins but that was very early in the morning leaving around 5am. The area can get a little congested at times but not too bad. There is a $2 toll through the expressway but you can get an automatic pass and only pay 50 cents per trip. There is a back way that's not too bad. That is how I go to VA. I refuse to pay the toll unless it is an emergency. Anything else? Sorry for the long post.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 48,652 times
Thanks for the info. Since I didn't see a post for awhile - was beginning to think Moyock was a lost soul. We plan on taking a ride thru the area next week as well as Chesapeake.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Use to be I could tell you not to blink while going through Moyock because you would miss it, but not now. If you blink long enough to miss it now you'll end up in Chesapeake General Hospital.

Hope you enjoy your trip through here. If you come through on Sunday stop by Moyock Assembly of God exactly 6 miles south of the VA/NC border and say hi to the Pastor there he's a close personal friend. Tell him Ebediel (Eb'-e-deal) sent you. He'd like that.

Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy Mo'-yock.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,616 times
Use to be I could tell you not to blink while going through Moyock because you would miss it, but not now. If you blink long enough to miss it now you'll end up in Chesapeake General Hospital.
but any way get more info from Mortgage Refinancing
its good

Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 AM

12 posts, read 58,500 times
Moyock used to be a place that no one had ever heard of.

Blackwater, USA. changed that. Blackwater USA - Training (http://www.blackwaterusa.com/training/faq.asp - broken link)

Old 10-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeah thank God for Blackwater!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 AM

One other thing if you live in Moyock it is a unique place there are no other Moyocks anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina