Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:23 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times

Advertisements

Looking a few years into the future, my husband and I will be in our early 50's.

1. Coastal town/small city. Large enough for shopping, dr appts, gym, etc. We don't need a house on the water, but definitely would at least like to have lunch or coffee at the beach and see the water when running around town.
2. Within 1 hour of an airport (preferably international)
3. Prefer more year round residents and less touristy areas. I realize anywhere on the coast will be more crowded in the summer, but we still want to be able to get a table at dinner, for example.
4. Outdoor trails/parks

I have lived most of my life in one beach town or another (Maine, Florida, and California) and have committed to staying in Texas until my son finishes high school, but am already planning my getaway. I think we have narrowed it down to NC due to proximity to parents, cost of living, seasons, and job opportunities. Would love some suggestions.

I realize this is a little vague...I'm just starting the research process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Technically, nothing exactly meets your specifications, as the closest true international airport is Raleigh, which is 2 1/2 hours from the beach, minimum. And it only has a few international flights. Charlotte is the real international airport in NC.

Southport/Leland/Shallotte all come to mind as possibilities. Wilmington if you want something larger. Maybe Morehead City too. Places like New Bern, Washington and Elizabeth City are possibilities, if you're ok being on/near the water but not the ocean.

Last edited by BC1960; 11-26-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
International airport throws some of the small places off - OP - you need to actually look at maps, do some basic research.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times
The international airport was just a preference, not a must have. My husband currently travels frequently overseas for work, but there is no guarantee that it will continue in the future. So I guess within an hour of the Wilmington airport would probably be more accurate. I'm fine with him having to take connecting flights if I get my waterfront town.

Thanks for those suggestions BC. I had some of those on my radar but not Leland or Shallotte.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
If you drive to Wilmington airport in an hour, you pretty much are going to a hub after that. Might focus on drive to RDU which is longer drive but a better chance for better and fewer connections.

Good luck. If I were flying a lot and wanted waterfront, I would look at the lakes around Charlotte.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
We spent several weekends one summer looking at multiple coastal NC towns. New Bern was very pretty but on the river and not that close to the beach, which was a "must" for us. It also flooded badly during Hurricane Florence as did Washington. We found Elizabeth City to lack any sense of vibrancy. Morehead City was just too far out from things. As soon as we pulled into Southport, we knew it the place for us. Beautiful riverfront town at the mouth of the Atlantic, just a few minutes from lovely beaches. Downtown is wonderful, so many shops, boutiques, restaurants. It's only a 25-30 minute drive to Wilmington to access larger scale shopping.

To me, Leland is an up and coming suburb to Wilmington but not close enough to the water and Shallotte did not appeal to us, in terms of the town itself and location. Best to take some time, research and visit several locations. Best of luck.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Look in South Carolina too.

Myrtle Beach airport may be better for you than Wilmington. RDU is good if you are going to London or Paris.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:00 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Look in South Carolina too.

Myrtle Beach airport may be better for you than Wilmington. RDU is good if you are going to London or Paris.
When we visit family in Calabash & Sunset Beach, Myrtle Beach is where we fly in / out of.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:07 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
The only international destination to/from Myrtle Beach is Toronto.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 11,149 times
Be sure to Research Gen-X and Nuclear Power Plants around Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina