Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,463 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to NC, from Maine. We dont want to be more than 1 hour to the beaches but we also dont want to be more than an hour from a lake. We want a small town feel, safe for our two boys and not to far off from main interstates. we are lost to where we should start looking. maybe even virginia??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Most of the towns an hour away from the beach are small, rural, traditional and conservative. A town like Whiteville would suit your need to be near a lake. There are other towns along rivers which have boating sports close by such as Greenville and New Bern. The only place I'd suggest avoiding is Rocky Mount. I would certainly plan a visit here to see if you feel comfortable. It isn't paradise.

You haven't mentioned the main consideration-- where you would find employment. What are your job skills? Many counties have unemployment rates close to 10%. Virginia currently has a better economy, and there are many small towns close to Lake Gaston, so I suggest you consider Virginia also. .

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM

My husband drives a truck over the road currently, so hes not a concern, I have been in retail management for just about 10 years now. So as long as there are stores. Virginia is most def. a condideration, Is Lake Gatson far from the coast?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Lake Gaston is maybe 2-3 hours from the Outer Banks (check Google maps for distances). It is hard to find a lake that will satisfy your need to be 1 hour from the coast, as NC is much more spread out. The lakes in NC are not like lakes in Maine, as we did not have the ice ages to make them. Lake Gaston is a dammed up river, and somewhat muddy. Boating, fishing and waterskiing are popular there, however. We looked seriously around Littleton, NC for a retirement home.

Lake Waccamaw and White Lake are natural lakes, and cleaner, although most property is privately owned.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-28-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM

196 posts, read 576,119 times
I will rely on Goldenage's expertise but with a quick look at the map Selma/Smithfield and Goldsboro jump out. They are pretty close to the outlet malls so there might be retail opportunities, I-95/I-40, there are lakes nearby, and are a couple of hours from the beach.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
I will rely on Goldenage's expertise but with a quick look at the map Selma/Smithfield and Goldsboro jump out. They are pretty close to the outlet malls so there might be retail opportunities, I-95/I-40, there are lakes nearby, and are a couple of hours from the beach.
These are good suggestion which will put you close to I-95, yet also closer to amenities in Raleigh. Also possibly better schools than in the Littleton/Roanoke Rapids area.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,496 times
Default Maine to NC

New Bern, Pamlico county quiet,close to beach, 1 hr hunting, fishing, 45 min to I95, I40

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

61 posts, read 115,219 times
Hey fellow Mainer....hubby transferred from Maine to Wilmington back in September. My youngest daughter and I have remained in Maine at least until the end of the school year. We just got back from our first visit to Wilmington, I really enjoyed the area, and enjoyed our trip to the beach. We are house hunting in the Hampstead and Burgaw areas. Good Luck on your move....as sit back here in Maine...freezing, I wish I was back to where the warmer weather is!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM

oh, i know....so cold here. Thanks for the suggestion, we have looked into that area. But we have yet to visist. We are also looking into Virginia. Its a touch choice. thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 11,784 times
The Wilmington North Carolina area is gorgeous. It is about 20 minutes from the beach, and nearby smaller towns include Leland and Castle Hayne. There is a lake north of town. I just moved here and love it. I am originally from NY. It is a peninsula with a river on one side and the ocean and some islands on the other. It is not as hot as the deep south, but has mild winters with maybe a couple inches of snow, and not every year.
It may be wise to find the place that will work for you economically among the places you like best before you move. It might not be best to move and assume you will find something in your field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina