Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM

196 posts, read 575,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I briefly looked back at the posts and didn't see anyone who mentioned despising our military presence on the coast. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
"ferrisp" in their only three posts on this forum expressed disdain for the military, their families, Coastal Carolina, directly insulted the town we will live in in a few months, and generally all things not New Jersey.

Just my thoughts on it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
OP, in light of the comments by others, can you give more specific info on why you want "Coastal NC" and how set you are on this state? Jobs, etc? As others have said, NC's coast is pretty devoid of much in the way of population centers, other than Wilmington, and the schools in the Eastern part of NC aren't known for being top-rate. Mostly it's a tourist or military presence.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
I would definitely look for work first- and then once you have a job offer or three, then decide where may be most ideal for you. The unemployment situation in NC is still pretty dire- it's the 5th worst in the nation according to the latest statistics from the BLS.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,564 times
hi,
why do you live, that has the good school and safe neighborhood?. I have 2 kids and will be taking a job in greenville nc but i don't' want to live there. thanks

Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 AM

203 posts, read 412,724 times
Arrow Please don't be too harsh on "Ferissp"

To "wrestlingterp" I think you may have been misinterpreting some of the comments of "ferissp" when you commented (with respect to "ferissp") that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
It must be a miserable person who despises those that protect our freedoms....
And then you continued the second phase of your attack with this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
"ferrisp" in their only three posts on this forum expressed disdain for the military ... and generally all things not New Jersey...
So I went back and read through all three of ferissp's posts, to see what sort of disdainful comments ferissp may have made about our military that could justify launching a drone on his a$$.

And the only remotely semi-derogatory thing I could find was this one, where he was basically talking about traffic in Morehead City, where he currently lives ... which I didn't consider particularly derogatory, but figured he was probably making valid observations, both about "military kids" (which many of us were once) and about "elderly people" (which we'll all eventually be, if we survive that long). His quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferissp View Post
There are a lot of military kids here (18-25 YO's) and they can be rude and unsafe drivers. The other side of the coin is that we have a lot of elderly people here and ironically they are even more dangerous drivers ...
In that comment, I think ferissp's only faux pas was simply an unawareness of the big picture.

Because if we take young well-trained soldiers and put them through anti-terrorist driving school, we can produce excellent drivers with the skill to drive 40 mph through a crowded suburban shopping mall parking lot on a Saturday morning with almost perfect safety. And *that* is a vital national resource.

Yes, I realize that sort of maneuver may seem "rude" and "unsafe" to an occasional hapless shopper who was barely missed by a few inches in that parking lot, and who now has to hurry home for a change of pants LOL. But should I care if "ferissp" was in the parking lot that day and dirtied his didies?

And the "elderly" drivers who seem to frighten poor "ferissp" even more could well be retired military folk who now drive large SUV's with reinforced frames, and don't particularly give a sh*t if they happen to collide with some damned dinky little communist rice rocket that gets in the way.

Now, the only OTHER comment "ferissp" made with respect to military people in any of his postings was this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferissp View Post
... if you are military or a church goer you might find it easier to meet people here ...
Now, I don't consider that comment to be either derogatory or derisive in any way to either military personnel OR churchgoers. I think "ferissp" was just acknowledging that both those who serve in the military AND those who attend church regularly are likely to have more highly developed social skills than "ferissp" himself possesses. And I think that was probably an accurate and sincere statement.

So please don't pick on "ferissp" anymore. He's already told us that he's been having a tough time assimilating.

And besides, doesn't he have a hard enough time already just being from New Joisey?

Semper Fi,
Dan

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 AM

196 posts, read 575,880 times
Slow night Dan? The general tenor of the person's posts were those of someone who generally dislikes their lot in life and the area they are living in. Sorry, they don't like the children of Marines. I took that to be a shot at the Marines themselves. They don't like the contractors, the vacationers, the vehicles they perceive people driving; it was hard to separate out all the things they dislike.

A tirade of negative stereotypes about the area we have chosen to live gets under my skin. Sorry.

If there is anyone who might have an issue with Marines it would be an Air Force vet like me......and I don't have an issue with the people who defend our freedoms or their families who also sacrifice.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
I think the problem with the first comment (and subsequent comments) were they didn't address the original question. They asked what are good coastal communities to live "with kids".

Morehead City is one...as are most of the communities right along the coast. Dare Co, Carteret, the Pender Coast are all good communities for kids....as are the cities of Wilmington, New Bern and Greenville....Jacksonville can be, but it is highly military. Washington/Bath or Edenton can be good as well but are smaller type's that are Inner Banks type communities. Any community near the ocean is great for kids because of the beach/surfing, etc...but nice small communities like Southport/Edenton are more retirement oriented.

As for affordable, in Wilmington, you have to be in the middle established neighborhoods or possibly in the Ogden or Myrtle Grove areas outside the city. Hampstead is affordable, but you'll spend lots of time in the car going to Wilmington. Greenville/Winterville is good for kids as well, but further away from the ocean.

In response to the Morehead City comments, I would say that they were accurate, but apparently the poster didnt have realistic expectations when they moved to Morehead City...its a small city that is far from any large metro area...even Wilmington or Greenville (which aren't large like Raleigh, but are large enough to have airports and lots of commercial activity). They likely would have felt the same isolation moving to the Nags Head area. If you want to be close to the beach and in a large city, you have to move to Wilmington, but the waterfront homes will be more expensive than Morehead or Nags Head. And finally, Beaufort, which is just across the water from Morehead City was recently named the best small town in America....its a quaint historic fishing village with lots of charm and is far from military oriented....so apparently the Morehead City area isnt so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina