Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM

80 posts, read 135,977 times

Advertisements

Hello. Hub & I and two kids are in Connecticut. We are thinking about relocating to some place warmer, and without all the snow. Hub is ok with the heat and would move down to Florida. I think Florida's long hot summers would be too hot and humid for me to bear. Longing to be not too far from the beach, I've begun to look into North Carolina's Crystal Coast, and I think it sounds lovely. The more moderate climate appeals to me. I'm Wondering about the water temperature there. Would anyone be able to tell me about how warm or cold the beach water is..? Particularly in the summer. I guess I'm just concerned a little that I'll like the climate generally, but might find that the water at the beach is cooler than I would've thought..? I had to spend some time recently in Latin America. The weather was in the high 70's, low 80's.. And the outdoor, unheated pool was too chilly for me!
On the other end of things.. How cold and snowy does it get around there in the winter? THANKS! :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM

196 posts, read 575,832 times
We're moving to Topsail in a few months where the water temp tends to be a few degrees warmer. All you can use are trends but this might help Crystal Coast Weather

You'll find days in November and December in the 70s where you can enjoy the beach. Even in winter I've found that a day in the 50s with direct sunlight is warm!

Snow is infrequent and, if it does snow it melts within a day.

There is a species of humans on North Carolina coast called Halfbacks. They retire to Florida; find it is too (fill in the blank) and move half way back.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 40,254 times
In the Wilmington area water temp in summer peaks out around 84, don't pay as much attention to winter months but seem to recall it going down to mid 50's or so. Chrystal Coast may be one or two degrees cooler, but not likely much. We went down to New Smyrna a couple years back and was surprised to see all the way down there only about three degrees warmer, so if over that much of a distance was only three degrees, wouldn't expect much difference maybe at most 100 miles north.

As far as heat and humidity, at least in Wilmington temps typically get higher here than in Florida with the exception maybe on the panhandle and humidity is often higher here too. In Wilmington most years at least four to six days over 100, where as I don't recall many days over 100 in Florida. Go inland in NC, even worse. On the other hand it's only really hot from Memorial day to around Labor day where as Florida may start getting 90's in April, consistent 90's by May and will last till Oct.

But I'll also say as hot as it gets, even on days over 100, most of the time a nice cool breeze is blowing on beach.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM

68 posts, read 134,092 times
You might consider somewhere on the GA coast like Savannah or SC/ Hilton Head because it's stays a great deal warmer in the winter than in NC. I went to Wilmington one winter on business (I live in ATL) and it was cold and grey the entire 2 weeks I was there. Every day the high was in the 40 and 50's. At night it would drop down into the 20's. In fact, it was very depressing. We get a lot more sunny days in GA and when the sun shines, it's generally very warm.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 40,254 times
Agreed it does get some cold weather hear in the the winter. Two weeks of clouds though is pretty rare. For the most part even in winter may have bitter cold over night, but most days are sunny.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM

80 posts, read 135,977 times
To all who responded, thank you very much!

We still have a lot of thinking.. and researching to do.

I am a stay-at-home mom for now, but we are both professionals. I think hub would want to move somewhere warm sooner, if there were good employment opportunities in his field (software engineer).. or if the cost of living were so much lower that he could accept something else. Are there parts of the Crystal Coast / the NC Coast that would be better to consider b/c of greater employment opportunities? Or is it realistic to say that we should probably 'rule out' the Crystal Coast until after retirement..?

Thanks..
bbear468

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina