Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 AM
LLN LLN started this thread

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times

Advertisements

Unemployment Rates Increase -- New Bern Sun Journal

Unemployment rates increased in 87 North Carolina counties during the month of May, including Craven and Pamlico while Jones dropped slightly, according to data released Tuesday.

Craven County had a 0.4 percent increase to an 9.8 percent unemployment rate for May, according to the N.C. Department of Commerce. The county had 4,209 people unemployed in a total labor force of 43,119.

Jones County had a 0.1 percent decrease in unemployment to achieve a rate of 8.8 percent in May 2013. Jones County had a total workforce of 4,339 with 382 people unemployed.

Pamlico County had a 1 percent increase in unemployment rising from 8.9 percent in April to 9.9 percent in May. The county had 538 people unemployed out of a total workforce of 5,420.

Of North Carolina’s 100 counties, only 12 saw decreases in unemployment and one county’s rate remained the same. Of those 100 counties, 41 have unemployment rates of 10 percent or above, and 59 counties have rates between 5 and 10 percent.

Scotland County had the highest unemployment rate with 16.2 percent while Currituck County had the lowest with 5.7 percent, according to the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM

109 posts, read 200,293 times
What makes you think it's all people moving "Down" to North Carolina. The last census state migration data I saw showed significant numbers coming from the west and even a growth of those from the South (Georgia and Florida)

Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
I assume it is "down here" as meaning down to the coast.

where are those jobs McCrory???

Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
What makes you think it's all people moving "Down" to North Carolina. The last census state migration data I saw showed significant numbers coming from the west and even a growth of those from the South (Georgia and Florida)
Sorry, I meant like down to the coast such as down east and all that.

No need to be confrontational.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 AM

109 posts, read 200,293 times
Sorry - Didn't think I was being confrontational, but if you took it that way - my apologies!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM

32 posts, read 73,832 times
I think most anyone thinking of moving will make a concious decision on their own about whether to move there or not. Unemployment statistics are pretty vague, not giving specifics, i.e., type of job, company etc. My husband and I are relocating to Wilmington in September. He has a BA in psychology from Northeastern University, we're hoping it won't take very long for him to find a job.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn826 View Post
I think most anyone thinking of moving will make a concious decision on their own about whether to move there or not. Unemployment statistics are pretty vague, not giving specifics, i.e., type of job, company etc. My husband and I are relocating to Wilmington in September. He has a BA in psychology from Northeastern University, we're hoping it won't take very long for him to find a job.
You see, that is kind of the problem. They make a decision on their own, without considering the environment they are moving too, and then it can (not always but can) turn into a disaster.

There have been many, many threads on the NC forum about moved here and where are the jobs.

Good luck to both you and your husband.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM

55 posts, read 98,877 times
I agree that most people are not prepared for the financial consequences if they do not find jobs to their liking as fast as they need to. Sometimes you have to take a job not in your field just to get by. It all comes down to budgeting and living within your means....your dreams can come true, sometimes it takes hard work, planning and a little sacrifice. Quality of life is more important than making the big bucks.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM

32 posts, read 73,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You see, that is kind of the problem. They make a decision on their own, without considering the environment they are moving too, and then it can (not always but can) turn into a disaster.

There have been many, many threads on the NC forum about moved here and where are the jobs.

We have been doing a lot of research, and applying for jobs. I think anyone looking at a Massachusetts address on a resume' will file it in the trash. He has very good credentials, work ethic, degree, experience etc. yet not one response to any applications. Jobs out there, just not biting?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Yeah, last time I checked, most people I'm aware of with Psych BAs were working in retail/service-type jobs (I even know someone with a PhD in Psych and several years of experience who can't find more than a one year appointment, and had to move out of NC to get it). Human Resources might be his best bet, but with the 5th-highest unemployment in the US, North Carolina is an employer's market in most fields and they can demand lots of experience, not just a degree, because there are dozens if not hundreds of applications for every opening.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina