Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,952 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I moved here in December and making new friends has been tough! I'm originally from Delaware, and I had a good collection of friends up there. To go from that to nothing is demoralizing haha, to say the least. I've tried a couple websites to meet people, and I seem to get along with -almost- everybody.

I'm a 20 year old male, and going to BCC in the fall. School's starting soon, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to socialize at a community college. I spent a year at a private college up north, and I kinda miss life in the dorms. I can't get that at Brunswick Community, so I dunno, I'm not that optimistic about it.

I just googled "meet people in North Carolina", and this website popped up, so I'm hoping the people here can help me out. Shallotte is a pretty small-ish town, and is quite a bit different from the big city that I'm used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
My impression of Shallotte is that it has either retired people, or people who have lived there all their lives. To meet younger people, you will have to reach out to them.

I'd look for a sports league to join. Softball, bowling, volleyball-- the sort of sport that girls as well a guys participate in. Drive down to Myrtle Beach if you need to find one.

Could you look for a part-time job in a retail store? Volunteer for some town clean-up activity? Could you be a mentor to some younger kids?

If you are more into discussions, look for a "meet-up" group.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Have to wonder why you picked Shallotte as a 20 y/o? Brunswick Co beaches are a lot of retiree's, so there isn't a real draw for young folks like Wrightsville or even Carolina Beach would be.

And BCC is not in Shallotte, its in Bolivia. The reason I ask why Shallotte is there are tens of thousands of folks your age just 20 minutes or so from Bolivia in Wilmington...while there are scarcely a few in Shallotte.

That being said, if you are intent on living in Shallotte for whatever the reason..consider attending a larger local church, frequenting some of the local watering holes, or getting a job at a fairly public establishment.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
I would transfer to Cape Fear community college after your first semester.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Have to wonder why you picked Shallotte as a 20 y/o? Brunswick Co beaches are a lot of retiree's, so there isn't a real draw for young folks like Wrightsville or even Carolina Beach would be.

And BCC is not in Shallotte, its in Bolivia. The reason I ask why Shallotte is there are tens of thousands of folks your age just 20 minutes or so from Bolivia in Wilmington...while there are scarcely a few in Shallotte.

That being said, if you are intent on living in Shallotte for whatever the reason..consider attending a larger local church, frequenting some of the local watering holes, or getting a job at a fairly public establishment.
I moved with my folks after my first year of college. I didn't have a huge choice in the matter. I didn't really have anybody to move in with back up north so I decided to tag along with them. It's not terrible, but but you're right that Shallotte is not the most lively place.

Driving isn't a huge issue so I might try to look into sports leagues. I would try to go to the bars and stuff but I still have a few months before then haha. There are plenty of beaches around too so I might check those out. My parents go to a church in Southport now, I've gone once, so I'll probably look into going more often. 6 years without church makes it difficult to get back into that routine!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
In most coastal places there is a lot to do, if you are willing to get out of your comfort zone and take the first step, or two, or three. The SC beaches should be your hunting grounds....erhhh where you can find folks your age. Just stay clear of the meth crowd. They are very prevalent in rural, impoverished eastern NC.

Good Luck

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRowe56 View Post
I'm originally from Delaware,

Shallotte is a pretty small-ish town, and is quite a bit different from the big city that I'm used to.
I would imagine that Shalotte is a whole like most, if not all, of Delaware. I've been all over Delaware and it looks pretty much the same as Eastern Carolina.

For friends, I imagine you should make some when school starts. It can take years to break into an inner circle of native North Carolinians. If you're expecting your neighbors to be friends, I wouldn't count on it if they were born here.

Work, school or church. Take your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina