Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,005 times

Advertisements

Cross posting this in Coastal North Carolina and Charleston area Forums

I will be moving from upstate New York to either South Carolina or North Carolina and have an adult child with special needs. Does anyone have experience navigating the services that are available? Ideally, I would like to find supported housing and either a day program or sheltered employment for my daughter (26). Are the services available in one state better than the other? I have really been leaning towards Charleston, but I am open to other areas on the coast. I don't have to worry about finding a job as I am lucky enough to be able to keep the same job. Besides the services for my daughter, the other things important to me are to be near the water, to be able to find an affordable rental that will accept two 35-45 lb very well behaved dogs and two cats, friendly neighbors, and preferably woods nearby for long walks. I currently volunteer with a dog rescue group and would love to do something similar or possibly do pet therapy work (one of my pups is a certified therapy dog). My son will also be coming and would need to find a job in the automotive sales area. Too tall of an order to get all of this in one place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkimmy2006 View Post
I have really been leaning towards Charleston, but I am open to other areas on the coast.
I agree, Charleston sounds like a lovely city. However, before you make any decision, I'd suggest visiting and making an appointment to talk with the Social Service people. I'd also insist on inspecting any facilities your daughter would use. Since South Carolina has such a low rate of spending on social services of any kind, I am very leery of recommending it. For another questioner, I checked a few old-age public housing complexes. There was no way I would want my mother to live in SC public-supported housing.

I can't say North Carolina is much better. We have a Republican controlled state government which is slashing spending. I'd make the same suggestion to visit facilities before you make a decision. I'd also check into programs which you pay for yourself. I'd suggest contacting this agency in Wilmington or New Bern about possible jobs for your daughter: http://nc.eastersealsucp.com/service...ed-employment/

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-01-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Thank you for your response and all of the information. I have visited Charleston already and have talked to someone on the disability board there who explained the process to me. My daughter gets SSI and Medicaid and those would transfer with her. The issue is whether she would get the additional case management, day program, housing and other services she had been receiving in New York. New York is also cutting way back, and although she qualified for all of these services before and had gotten into them, she decided to sign herself out and now we are back on waiting lists. In South Carolina, you can't apply for the services until you move there, so that makes it difficult since we would be moving blind. I was hoping someone else might have some experience with this.

I appreciate the information on Wilmington and New Bern. On the page you gave me the link to was another link to an agency in New Bern that sounds hopeful. I will give them a call. I thank God for the internet - there is so much research you are able to do ahead of time.

Wherever we end up, I plan to rent for 6 months to make sure it is the right area. I am hoping to be able to schedule another visit down so that I can check out more areas in Charleston and also check out the Wilmington and New Bern areas.

Again, I really appreciate the time you took

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I frequently tell posters that are coming to NC for "lower cost of living" that government services are often minimal, that is why taxes are lower. I expect this area is a prime example. I don't think you are gonna find a lot, but I hope for your sake you do. Good Luck.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
I lived in Charleston for years. I worked closely with the Disabilities Board of Charleston County, They have had their share of cuts, but they provide the services you described. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,879 times
I would like to move to the Wilmington NC area in two to three years. I have a daughter that wants to major in marine biology and a son who is now 17 and is low-functioning autistic. I am deeply concerned about what kind of services will be available for him as an adult. I would love for him to get into some sort of day program. I really don't have any funds of my own for this. Can anyone recommend for me where I can begin researching opportunities for him?
thanks

Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Is your son currently identified in the school system as special needs? I would assume he is since you state he is a low-functioning autistic. This should make it easier to obtain services. Here is a link to some information I found for services in North Carolina: NC DHHS: Home Page for People with Disabilities. I haven't spoken with anyone in North Carolina yet regarding housing and services. So far I have just spoken to someone in SC.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,935 times
I am a special needs teacher in the Jacksonville, NC area. I am not sure how set you are on Wilmington, NC, but I can tell you that services for individuals with low functioning autism are more accessible up towards Raleigh. The University of North Carolina has an excellent program called TEACCH. There is a website Welcome to the University of North Carolina TEACCH Autism Program that you can review. I just checked, and the TEACCH program does have a Wilmington Regional office. I have no personal experience with the center, but it was a program that came highly recommended by my graduate school professors. It is probably worth a look.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 2,083 times
Did you move to the Carolinas? I have a young adult daughter with autism and was thinking of moving to Albany, NY ..We live in Missouri but the services/ funding are horrible

Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breanna99 View Post
Did you move to the Carolinas? I have a young adult daughter with autism and was thinking of moving to Albany, NY ..We live in Missouri but the services/ funding are horrible
The original poster has not been back since 2014. I'd suggest starting a new thread wint a specific question about your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina