Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM

354 posts, read 627,788 times

Advertisements

I always wondered was it possible for Greenville NC to get an Amtrak station instead of going all the way to Wilson or Rocky Mount just to catch a train as big as Greenville is I think the city deserves one either CSX or Carolina Coastal Railway could take out the time to repair the tracks it would be awesome so what do yall think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,599,213 times
Doesn't Greenville have an Amtrak bus service now?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Yes, Greenville has Amtrak bus service. We can't even get the state to convert US 264 to an Interstate, much less finance Amtrak.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The issue of Amtrak is north and south versus east and west.

Amtrak makes their money on their north-south routes through NC. They are just fairly recently getting around to profiting off service to Raleigh and Charlotte (and onto Atlanta).

Wilmington and Greenville have essentially been left off the Amtrak service routes because they are not on the north-south route (from NY to Florida)....and they have not proved to be big enough to end service to when discussing east west.

Bus service is probably the best that will happen for 20 years or so...

Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Is it possible? Yes

It it semi being planned as a possibility? Yes

Will it happen anytime soon? Probably not.

The future Transportation Center is being built with the ability to add a train station onto it.
_____
Now for my pure speculation.

Amtrak and the State of North Carolina both operate the Piedmont, a twice-daily passenger train between Raleigh and Charlotte. If the numbers were good, could they extend the route to Greenville & Wilson? I know I would use it. I love taking the train between Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

what u mean if they could extend the route to wilson. Wilson does have an Amtrak line thats on the main N/S line From Rocky Mount to Fayetteville its basically four stops on the main CSX north-south line

Old 02-21-2014, 01:53 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
what u mean if they could extend the route to wilson. Wilson does have an Amtrak line thats on the main N/S line From Rocky Mount to Fayetteville its basically four stops on the main CSX north-south line
I think he is saying that the line serving Wilson doesn't go to Raleigh. If it did, it could be extended to Greenville from Wilson. If there isn't a line from Wilson to Raleigh, there would be limited ridership from Greenville to Wilson.

Bus service should actually work fairly well to Wilson...its a short trip and a good road. The Wilmington bus service has been a failure from what I remember...its just too long a bus ride.

I think both Wilmington and Wilson (and maybe even Morehead City) should all get rail service. But the logistics and money just aren't there....yet. As ENC continues to develop, it MAY get there....then again if we are dependent on the State of NC to do anything with it, we might as well forget it.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 PM

63 posts, read 203,262 times
+1 For Rocky Mount!
Have you seen the cities gorgeous train station?
Its my hope that the new event center will work in tandem with the train station for events.
As my children get older I look forward to taking train rides into the DC area.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM

yeah that's true I think there is a line between Selma-Smithfield & Raleigh

Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Wilson isn't serviced by the Piedmont. The Piedmont, like I stated earlier, doesn't leave the state. So that would be the best chance Greenville has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina