Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,258 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Wilmington, NC area this summer and have been researching homes, employment, etc. As I work in the healthcare field, I'd like to be fairly close to a hospital. I will be renting which has become quite a crap shoot...I read reviews of apartment complexes and they are always all over the map! I'm not set on living directly in the city but not sure what other locations would be good to look into. I will be moving alone so am wanting low crime/safe surroundings and am wondering if I should look more into the smaller areas surrounding Wilmington. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by ren2140; 04-09-2014 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: clarifying state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren2140 View Post
As I work in the healthcare field, I'd like to be fairly close to a hospital.
I would not think about moving until you find a guaranteed job as there is significant competition for available jobs. As I was told once, New Hanover Regional Hospital receives hundred of resumes for each available opening. Unless you have some inside connections in Wilmington, I'd suggest broadening your search to other coastal counties such as Brunswick, Pender, Onslow, Carteret, Craven, Dare and South Carolina.

You might read through the various threads on safety in Wilmington. I believe you can find apartments in safer areas, once you know where you will be working. Check back when you have a positive interview.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-10-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Look at all the apartments along St. Andrews drive off 17'th st and College rd. I
believe you will find safe housing there and will only be about ten minutes from
hospitals. I don't see any need for you to live in surrounding towns and
have a big commute, plenty of safe areas in Wilmington.

New apartments have recently been built on the road that dead ends at Hugh McRae's park, runs perpendicular to Oleander ,
you will have to do a little digging since I don't know the street name
of the top of my head.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
St Andrews area is good, Bellingham Park on 17th is good, Barclay Place is a little pricey...there are condos on LongStreet as well...there are some new places on Lake Ave. Live Oak South & Oleander Court are nearby....or you could go a little further down South College Rd toward Mrytle Grove.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
thank you all...will be looking into all of your suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina