Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM

15 posts, read 81,949 times

Advertisements

Craven County, in Eastern Carolina, has more eye sore properties than I've ever seen in the states that I have lived in. I've started to photograph these properties to bring attention to them. I made a video and put it on You Tube.

Craven County North Carolina Eye Sore Properties - YouTube

If you know of others let me know, so that I can photograph them and add them to the You Tube video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
What is the point of this post? Yes, the majority of ENC has depressed areas.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Maybe some will realize how bad they look and have them cleaned up.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
You're complaining about 3 abandoned houses?

Here in Pitt County I do believe they have a serial arsonist. Every 6 or 12 months one of these old abandoned houses just spontaniously starts burning. There was just one that did this in the last couple of months. Now if we could just get someone to get rid of the abandoned trailers we'd be getting somewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 AM

3 houses? Ha! The video represents many more that exist in the county. I don't advocate burning them, but it's a good example of what can happen to an attractive nuisance.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Default Eye Sores

Here's another beauty located on Dry Monia Rd near 55 East.
Attached Thumbnails
Craven County Eye Sores-006-copy-50-.jpg  

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
Maybe some will realize how bad they look and have them cleaned up.
If the people who owned the properties had the money they would. Sorry that the world doesn't exist to cater to your every whim and beckon.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 AM

That was my first thought too, but what they lack in money could be over come with some pride and responsibility. There are people who might be able to help them if they'd ask for it. What some consider as a whim is another good example of why nothing is done about these eye sores. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, maybe it can be improved as opposed to if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
That was my first thought too, but what they lack in money could be over come with some pride and responsibility. There are people who might be able to help them if they'd ask for it. What some consider as a whim is another good example of why nothing is done about these eye sores. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, maybe it can be improved as opposed to if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here because I'd like to see these gone too. What you have to remember is that not everybody cares. I live in a nice neighborhood and even the homes that surround our neighborhood are nice. There is a mix of $300,000 houses right on down to single wides. Everybody takes care of their places and cuts their grass. Except we have 1 single wide that was set in the last year. It's not an old trailer. They set it up on cinder block piers and that was about all they did. Pitt County requires skirting but this one doesn't have any. The people that reside in the home brought an old hot tub in and it just sits out on the yard. Of course it disappeared beneath the 3 foot tall grass and weeds as the summer wore on. Then the hurricane came along and somehow managed to blow all of the trash from the entire neighborhood into their yard. Now they have a dumpster permanently parked in their front yard and it's empty. There's a big blue tarp over the roof that I suspect that it will be there for a while. This is the kind of stuff that I really don't like. I realize that some people can't afford to do a lot of things but there is no excuse for living like pigs.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM

http://www.pittcountync.gov/bcc/ordinance/planning/14.pdf

Pitt County has a property ordinance. File a complaint with your commissioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina