Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
After seeing Wilmington, which we thought was built up and busier than we’d like, we are thinking of visiting New Bern. Folks are mentioning proximity to beaches...which beaches are closest? We’d want to be within 20-30 min drive on a weekday.

Anything else on New Bern?
I assume by beach you mean ocean, and New Bern is 45-60 minutes from Atlantic Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:00 AM

77 posts, read 144,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I assume by beach you mean ocean, and New Bern is 45-60 minutes from Atlantic Beach.
Ok. Kinda what I thought.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
My two adult daughters go to the beach “all the time” when they are home, in New Bern, together. Havelock is perpetually grim, but bypasses are in planning which will mitigate that blight. Honestly, the drive from New Bern is no big deal to them.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,354 times
I have heard that electricity costs over $500 a month in New Bern. Never thought that possible! What prices per month are people paying there? Like for a 3BR home ?

Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjenkins111 View Post
I have heard that electricity costs over $500 a month in New Bern. Never thought that possible! What prices per month are people paying there? Like for a 3BR home ?
You "heard" from whom? How big is their house? What do they set there thermostat to? Etc., etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
They reduced the cost a year or so ago. We had old heating and a/c units and they reduced electric bill about the same time. We went from $750 in summer to $350. In fact, we got bill today that was $314. And I have a millenial, stay at home, know it all daughter who keeps the upstairs near frigid.

I used to be really down on NB electricity, but it seems fairly reasonable now

Oh, we are in a 106 year old house, good attic and floor joist insulation, but nothing in walls.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:24 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
New Bern is part of ElectriCities.

https://www.electricities.com/Defaul...rshipList.aspx

Many of the towns/cities involved with ElectriCities were known for having some of the highest electric bills in the state, but most have started dropping after Duke Energy (not too long ago) bought out the debt that ElectriCities had been saddled with for years.

Power bill relief? Duke enters into $1.2 billion deal with ElectriCities - News - New Bern Sun Journal - New Bern, NC

As the poster above me noted, the bills have dropped.

Last edited by LM117; 06-17-2018 at 05:34 AM..

Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 AM

234 posts, read 266,625 times
Quote:
If you aren't set on living in New Bern city limits, you could try areas nearby, such as River Bend where utilities (and taxes) are lower.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,991 times
My husband and I are retired and thinking of moving to NC or FL. We are tired of the frozen winters in Maine. We are thinking FL only because there is no state income tax, but the winters there can still get very hot. We'd like to be an hour or less from the ocean and enjoy eating at a variety of restaurants. What areas of New Bern or out lying areas are considered quiet and safe? What are the taxes like for a couple on a fixed income? We appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredteacher10368 View Post
My husband and I are retired and thinking of moving to NC or FL. We are tired of the frozen winters in Maine. We are thinking FL only because there is no state income tax, but the winters there can still get very hot. We'd like to be an hour or less from the ocean and enjoy eating at a variety of restaurants. What areas of New Bern or out lying areas are considered quiet and safe? What are the taxes like for a couple on a fixed income? We appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Local property tax rates can be found here:

https://files.nc.gov/ncdor/documents...18taxrates.pdf

Info on state income tax rates, including a tax estimator, can be found here:

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina