Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,436 times

Advertisements

Hi Snackpack!

My husband and I just move to Southport about 6 months ago from PA. If you like the "slow living" life.............Southport is for you! It is a sweet little coastal area that kinda reminds you of a small New England fishing town. It's about 30 mil from Wilmington and about 1 hour to North Myrtle Beach. We absolutly love it here! Alot of people that live here commute to Wilmington to work. Oak Island and the beaches are only 10 min away. There's not alot of restaurants or shopping in the area, but from what I'm hearing, it should all be popping up within the next 2 years. My advise would be to take a vacation, and check out all the places in the surrounding area.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-21-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: in complaince with terms of service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I agree lisa. southport is a nice little area. it depends on your needs. it does remind me of something up near lake champlain or something. I was going to suggest southport but my concern is that they are young. I agree with you that there isn't a lot to do down there. you can only eat at the provision company so often. although, you can take the ferry to carolina beach where there is a lot more.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:58 PM

39 posts, read 214,560 times
I'm not a party person, either. There is just very little in Shallotte. It is literally a single strip of stores. not even a sidewalk and then subdivisions. If your a golfer or can afford the beach, the area might be suitable.Very rural otherwise.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 15,537 times
Thank you all for so much great input. After a long heated debate, we have decided to wait to come down. We are putting together a plan to visit the area in late May/early June...we are now looking at Wilmington, Raleigh, and Durham. We are thinking about driving down on a Wednesday and spend the weekend checking out the area.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 AM

147 posts, read 471,453 times
You guy's know that Southport's days as a sleepy little coastal town are numbered. They are building the East Coast's largest port near there which includes sinking Oak Island if I remember correctly. Will completely change that whole area and Eastern NC too. Stll a few years off still. But it is a crying shame in the name of "progress."
North Carolina International Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On December 29, 2005, the North Carolina State Ports Authority agreed to purchase 600 acres owned by Pfizer, who bought the land for a citric acid production plant (the plant now belongs to Archer Daniels Midland). The authority sees current facilities in Wilmington and Morehead City as inadequate for international trade via container ships, particularly trade with China.
The proposed port will be one of the largest facilities on the U.S. East Coast; its capacity will be 2 million containers a year. The dock will be 4,000 feet long, capable of accommodating four container ships at once. The total cost of building the port is expected to be $1 billion, including dredging the Cape Fear River to 50 feet deep as well as improvements to road and rail.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,352 times
I agree with most everyone on this post. I would not suggest moving to Shalotte. If you were retirement age, maybe. There is not much for younger people to do (and I'm not talking about partying). If you are looking to be close enough to things but out a little ways I might suggest Hampstead or somewhere a little past Leland. Both are within 15 minutes to Wilmington.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Default southport is a great little town

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
You guy's know that Southport's days as a sleepy little coastal town are numbered. They are building the East Coast's largest port near there which includes sinking Oak Island if I remember correctly. Will completely change that whole area and Eastern NC too. Stll a few years off still. But it is a crying shame in the name of "progress."
North Carolina International Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On December 29, 2005, the North Carolina State Ports Authority agreed to purchase 600 acres owned by Pfizer, who bought the land for a citric acid production plant (the plant now belongs to Archer Daniels Midland). The authority sees current facilities in Wilmington and Morehead City as inadequate for international trade via container ships, particularly trade with China.
The proposed port will be one of the largest facilities on the U.S. East Coast; its capacity will be 2 million containers a year. The dock will be 4,000 feet long, capable of accommodating four container ships at once. The total cost of building the port is expected to be $1 billion, including dredging the Cape Fear River to 50 feet deep as well as improvements to road and rail.
Having relocated to Southport 4 years ago, I am still enjoying the area. Jobs are scarce in town, but we are mid way between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, where there are jobs and opportunities. I know the port has a lot of people concerned, however, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. The port will be located far out of town, and they have already explored land to purchase for roads, that will not interfere with the local traffic. It will generate 5000 jobs locally, and 15,000 jobs nationally. There is plenty of land to develop here, as long as they keep up with the infrastructure, which is everyone's major concern. It probably won't happen for another 10 years, and many people who do need to work are hoping it happens. It will boost the economy and will create an even better quality of life here that we already enjoy.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM

39 posts, read 214,560 times
I think Southport is a great small town with very expensive Real Estate. It is growing but anything in the city limits is overpriced.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM

20 posts, read 61,135 times
Hey snackpack,

I would check out the Crystal Coast if I were you. Very small town feel after living in NH. I'm originally from Maine and really like the area. Even if you are stay at home folks there is lots going on to choose from if you desire to partake. The festivals are numerous in the summer, and lots of outdoors stuff to do on the water. Like so many others have said get jobs first. BEaufort, Newport, Morehead City, and Cape Cartaret would put you within 15min to 40 min. from the beach. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackPack View Post
Hey Everyone!

My girlfriend and I are looking to move to North Carolina from New Hampshire. We are looking at the Shallotte area. We are just trying to get first person information about the area. Everyone has different opinions, but we are encouraging everyone to help us out.

We are just trying to get away from the 6 feet of snow and negative temperatures. Maybe find a great place to start a family, but not right off.

We are just looking for information on the area and what it is like. Please share any experiences that you have that might help us choose North Carolina over South Carolina. Thank you in advance for your help!

We hope to be your neighbors soon!

-M
I'm a Northerner looking at North Carolina as a place to work and eventually retire. I chose North Carolina over South Carolina because the climate is very similar to the North without being humid. I vacationed in South Carolina and it can be very HUMID in the summer. I also am sick of shoveling snow and hazardous driving. I"m not certain that this will help much, but I love the pine trees of North Carolina. I come from a state where pine trees are everywhere (Michigan) and I won't mind a change, but still would like to be less than homesick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina