Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 AM

15,154 posts, read 27,846,811 times

Advertisements

SE Pa IMO is a much lower COL than coastal/semi-coastal NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,472,137 times
I'd pull up a map of Brunswick county and do some research in that area. Could certainly find housing in your range in many different areas of the county and not be that far from the ocean either. Obviously COL goes up the closer to the waves you are but you'd have plenty of choices to find the right fit.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:48 PM

59,312 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Good Morning, Folks. I'm a 60-yr-old single (never married) lady who has lived in SE PA all my life and will probably be substitute teaching for another year before throwing in the towel and, Lord willing, moving on.
I do struggle to get by with the cost of living up here, and my SS will probably be on the low side as I've juggled two and three part-time jobs for the last 12 years.

I was wondering if there is affordable, single housing (under 200K) in a safe area, perhaps 20 miles from the beach. I will always want a single home since I will have dogs until they drag me out feet-first and I'm not into the whole retirement "community" scene. I do hope to keep working part-time while collecting SS - perhaps in a non-profit, youth-at-risk genre as I have some experience with that population. I'm also a p/t pet sitter here which I love.

Things which are important to me: a first-class medical facility I can drive to (cause ya never know); excellent veterinary care, basic shopping within a 10-mile drive, good infrastructure (roads, traffic control, etc.,), farmers markets, fresh seafood, seasonal festivals, least amount of humidity possible (which is probably IMpossible, but just thought I'd ask).

I doubt if I'd have any trouble finding a good church down there, as I see that you have quite a few Calvary Chapels which I've been attending up here for 15 years

I'm also considering DE and MD, but I understand that NC is quite beautiful and, though it's far from "home," I would like to consider it. THANKS for your time and attention, Sandy
Check out SW Brunswick County, NC, Shallotte and Calabash are a couple that fit your criteria.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM

68 posts, read 86,958 times
One thing you should do is contact a real estate agent to represent you as a buyer. They are on your side and can advise based on what you want. It doesn't cost you a dime. We had one send us a packet of info about the area before we even scheduled a visit.

Although you didn't want the retirement community thing, set yourself up with a discovery package or two for a discount stay in an area you like. We did this, and it's really low pressure, you can be done with their presentation in an hour and have the rest of the time to yourself.

We will be closing on our home in Leland this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina